GANTZ - Live Action Movie

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from seeing Gantz and I liked it.

The action was well done, the nailed the costumes and the aliens. The only thing that caught me off guard were the dubs (sounded like they had a mostly Japanese cast dubbing in English), and the giant amount of content they cut. Characters, events and back story all were missing because the manga has way too much content to fit in two movies.

Yep, the voice acting was cringe-worthy during a lot of scenes. That's my biggest gripe with the movie-I was really hoping for subtitles. Otherwise, the costumes and effects were well done considering the budget, and Kishimoto was a real cutie. The guys I went with who have never read Gantz seemed to enjoy themselves and are now curious about the manga.

If you read the manga, some disappointment is in order. Kei is just not that big of an a-hole in the movie. In fact, everyone in the movie has been toned down; they don't seem as despicable as their comic counterparts. Granted, a LOT of elements were taken out, but the overall tone is a more positive one than the nasty, cynical, and dark atmosphere of the comic. However, the film by itself without drawing any comparisons to the comic is satisfactory. A friend who had never heard of Gantz before thought the film felt like a big Twilight Zone episode. :p

Me and a friend drove to the Regal 20-plex in Augusta, GA to watch the world premiere of Gantz on Thursday. I haven't read the manga, but I have see all 26 episodes of the anime series. My friend only saw the first two episodes. I felt the live-action movie was toned down a lot, but still enjoyable and something that can be enjoyed by a broader audience. My friend enjoyed and now wants to watch all of the anime for himself. The robot-doll alien was too cool! It was also neat to seeing the the actors answering questions.

Edited by Sephiroth