5.5 FOOT LONG PLAYMAKE SDF-1 TOY anyone know anything about this thing

ae_productions

I just recently acquired a five and a half foot long SDF-1 by a company called PlayMake. I have never seen this thing before.

Anyone know anything about this? I've never heard of PlayMake (who made this toy). And judging from the description about the SDF-1, I'm pretty sure PlayMake didn't know what the SDF-1 was. Is this thing an official product? A bootleg? What is this thing even worth? I paid around 80 bucks for it. Did I pay too much?

This is the only website that I found on Google about this.

PLAYMAKE SDF-1

Thanks for any help.

Where did you see the description? The ones in the pics are too small and blurry to read.

It seems to me to be one of many robotech items licensed out by harmony gold either under the robotech brand or rebranded as something else. Just as they did with the Matchbox and Playmates toys.

Playmake calling this cardboard construction a "toy" seems a bit of a stretch... then again it does fit the definition of a toy in that it is something meant to be played with.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Where did you see the description? The ones in the pics are too small and blurry to read.

It seems to me to be one of many robotech items licensed out by harmony gold either under the robotech brand or rebranded as something else. Just as they did with the Matchbox and Playmates toys.

Playmake calling this cardboard construction a "toy" seems a bit of a stretch... then again it does fit the definition of a toy in that it is something meant to be played with.

Oh, it's printed on the side of the box. The pics are from a website I found, and they're pretty small and dated. I should bust out my camera and take a few pics of my own.

The date on the box is 1985.

Taking it out of the box, MOST of it is a very thick, rugged cardboard, and the printing on it is very nice. In fact, it's pretty accurate too (Using my 1:3000 BanDai as a reference). Good color tones, and nice detail. No creative liberties taken, except that it has the logo ROBOTECH printed on two of the panels. I'm actually shocked at how good the coloring and detail looks considering when it was made.

A few of the parts, like the bridge and some of the guns are made of a thin cardboard stock.

The instruction booklet is black and white. Assembly seems to be pretty straight forward. I would almost call this a model, but overall, it is more of a toy. The outside of the box notes there are several hidden compartments to hold other Robotech toys, although they are not noted in the simple instruction booklet.

Maybe I should just put this thing together.

I had one when I was a kid, and I messed it up within a week. It was/is pretty cool. Where did you get it? I want one...bring back memories... :rolleyes:

ah, ROBOTECH TOYS.COM!! one of the first fansites i happened across during my first explorations

of the internet ten years back! brings back the memories!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had two!!! I had a busted up one I got from a friend, then I found a brand new one in an old comic book store. I hung it from my ceilign with fishing line and had a "squadron" of 1/200 Nichimo valks flying around it with a couple of battlepods (same make) "flying" around it too. It's a RARE item and $80 is awesome for a "chunk" of cardboard! I VERY RELUCTANTLY had to toss it when moving away from home. My first one fell apart easily so the second one got glued gunned together. No way to tear it down and ship it to myself :^( Enjoy yours! -MT

• 2 weeks later...