SOC GX-57 Space Battleship Yamato Review

Kyp Durron

Got my SOC GX-57 Yamato yesterday, it's a great improvement over the old BPX-01 Yamato in my opinion.

PICT2251.JPG

PICT2252.JPG

PICT2255.JPG

PICT2257.JPG

They deleted most of the interior view gimmicks except for the fighter bay interior view. While some may lament this, I actually prefer it as it doesn't leave a bunch of compartment doors on the model which in my opinion detracts from the aesthetics of this sculpt. Having the lighting gimmicks done via remote also eliminates the ugly buttons that were placed on the starboard side of the BPX-01.

This model still comes with an assortment of vehicles that the BPX-01 came with for the most part, and it appears that they're the exact same ones, but I can't be certain as I sold my BPX-01 off around two years ago.

The LED system is greatly improved over the old system and not just with the remote set up either. This time they use multi-colored LED's for the Wave Motion Gun and Engine effects and it looks incredible. I found myself triggering them over and over again, lol.

PICT2260.JPG

PICT2261.JPG

PICT2259.JPG

It's truly awesome and never gets old, lol.

The Wave Motion Gun effects are where this model really shines, though. It's kinda tricky to trigger the effect, you have to hit the button once to "power up" the Wave Motion Gun, and then hit the button again before a certain point in the charging sequence. Otherwise, the charging sequence will end without it firing. It may sound hard, but it's pretty easy to do once you figure out the point where you won't be able to fire it off. You can double tap the button early and trigger it every time, or you can wait a few seconds more. It's kinda hard to explain, it's something you'd have to see and try for yourself to really get what I'm saying. :p

PICT2262.JPG

PICT2263.JPG

If you're like me, you're gonna find yourself triggering the effect a lot like the engine effect. :D

(Had to make a second post, too many images, lol)

Speaking of the Wave Motion Gun, they some how managed to make the gun opening HUGE in this scale, I've never seen such a large opening before and I've owned the 1/665, the BPX-01 1/625, and currently the 1/592 scale 2220 anime version and none of them come close. Check out the maw on this motherflucker...Jesus, lol!:

PICT2265.JPG

PICT2268.JPG

PICT2266.JPG

PICT2267.JPG

^Now THAT's what I call a one hit fleet killer! B))

And while we're on the subject of guns, the overall sculpt isn't the only improvement, the main guns are also sculpted much better and look like they could really reach out and touch someone, and I don't mean in a good way...

PICT2270.JPG

The model still has the anchor attachment gimmick as well as the wing gimmick, but this time the wings are separate and can be put on and taken off which is probably because of lack of space with all the electronic effects. Not to mention that's probably why this version doesn't have a lot of interior reveal gimmicks either but like I said earlier, I think that's a good thing.

It also has the warning sound with the bridge tower lights like the BPX-01, and it can also play music tracks from the series as well.

Overall, I think this is a worthy successor to the BPX-01 and I highly recommend it.

-Kyp Durron

Edited by Kyp Durron

+1. The new version looks amaizing and if I didn't already own a BPX-01 I'd get this for sure, but I'm keeping what I have since, compared with the SOC's price I got the SOP for cheap; now the SOC Andromeda, on the other hand, shall be mine regardless of price... have that pre-ordered with AmiAmi already.

Thanks for your review Kyp.

I still haven't opened up GX-57. I dunno if I'll be needing two Yamato's in my collection...the BPX-01 might have to go.

As someone who owned the BPX-01, I'd take the GX-57 over it any day of the week, but that's just me. Also, I fixed the last picture in the review to actually show the right picture of the main guns. :p

-Kyp

Cool, It doesn't sound like I'll miss out on too much by keeping my BPX. :)

I feel the same way. The old popy looked to me a lot closer to the the old anime and this version celebrates the line art from the renewal anime. I also like the added features on my Popy version. I also second that the SOC Andromeda will be mine.

So I will then complete my collection by having

BPX-01 Yamato

Aoshima

Captain Harlock Movie and OVA Arcadia

and Queen Emeraldas.

I hope they also make the Blue Noah from Renewal

Edited by Snail00

I just weighed both the BPX-01 and GX-57 Yamato.

With no stand, batteries, or accessories.

The BPX-01...was close to 1.25 lbs

The GX-57...was close to 1.12 lbs (but a third of an inch longer).

:lol::lol::lol:

I just weighed both the BPX-01 and GX-57 Yamato.

With no stand, batteries, or accessories.

The BPX-01...was close to 1.25 lbs

The GX-57...was close to 1.12 lbs (but a third of an inch longer).

:lol::lol::lol:

your kidding

Wow that's a twist.

>just one of my Aoshima Harlock Arcadia's would weight 4 times the SOC/BPX Yamato's

Edited by Snail00

I just can't stop messing with the sound effects and soundtracks. It's awesome.

I also don't miss the opening engine bay, spinning flywheel, and wave motion chamber gimmicks on the BPX-01.

The GX-57 is indeed a great successor to the BPX-01 (which I've just packed up) and it'll look superb next to the GX-58. :D

I just can't stop messing with the sound effects and soundtracks. It's awesome.

I also don't miss the opening engine bay, spinning flywheel, and wave motion chamber gimmicks on the BPX-01.

The GX-57 is indeed a great successor to the BPX-01 (which I've just packed up) and it'll look superb next to the GX-58. :D

LOL...you sound like me, I can't stop messing with the light/sound effects either. :lol:

Just pre-ordered the Andromeda for 18,130 JPY at AmiAmi...there's no freaking way I could pass that deal up, even if it is a bit more than what the Yamato was there.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

I'm so glad I have that on pre-order... just beautiful. :blink::o^_^

After Andromeda let's hope Bandai continues with the line and give us the EDF Borodino Class Main Battle Ship (my most wanted vessel after Yamato and Andromeda) and the EDF Cruiser; and given their much smaller size compared to the Dreadnaughts, maybe they could be offered as a twin pack or singly at a much lower MSRP. I don't really hold any hope of ever seeing those released but it's fun to dream; besides, I didn't think we'd ever see the Andromeda either since there was no follow-up to the BPX-01... until now, sort of...

Edited by mechaninac

Here's another video of the same demo that shows the effects a little clearer, I think:

One thing is certain, the Marmit version of this has pretty much become worthless, in my opinion. I always thought it was way overpriced for what it was anyways.

Forgot to mention, thanks for the review, UN Spacy. :)

And just because I'm a bit of a sicko...

PICT2273.JPG

Someone...call...the Police!! :ph34r:

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Someone...call...the Police!! :ph34r:

Nah it's all good, I just hope they buy each other breakfast in the morning.

Seriously, thanks for the pictures and the review, Kyp. I'm guessing they increased the wave gun's opening for the drill missile? I really wish they had kept the gun opening smaller-that large hole just looks odd and is kinda of a deal-breaker, IMHO. On that note, if some of you guys are thinking about selling your BPX-01's lemme know...

:lol:

Seriously, thanks for the pictures and the review, Kyp. I'm guessing they increased the wave gun's opening for the drill missile? I really wish they had kept the gun opening smaller-that large hole just looks odd and is kinda of a deal-breaker, IMHO. On that note, if some of you guys are thinking about selling your BPX-01's lemme know...

You're quite welcome, but while I do agree with your theory as to why the opening is larger, (I also think it's to make the lighting effect more dramatic too) I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of the larger opening looking odd. If you think about it, which makes more sense? A "One hit fleet killing cannon" with a smaller opening, or one with as large of an opening as the design would allow? When looked at with that reasoning in mind, I think it's perfect. Just a thought...and besides, who wants Yamato's Wave Motion Gun to lose out to Andromeda's "Double barreled shotgun" design? ;)

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

I guess people completely ignore my posts??????

This is a redesign of the movie and Renewal Anime Yamato. The BPX has line art that often was shown in the series. This is why Bandai has two versions of the Dragonar SOC SPEC figures. One from the series and the other from the opening credits. Its just which line art you prefer. If you really want a Yamato both versions from Bandai will drop in price as bandi will milk the series like they do with Gundam. Yamato from what I have seen has a pretty big following. Box office number are not out yet for the movie but I am sure it was number 1 or 2.

OMG...check out this video demoing Andromeda's Wave Motion Gun firing effects! :o

One word, GLORIOUS.

-Kyp

GREAT song choice. When I hear it I immediately think of episode 21 and that huge fleet battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH3psLCPLMw

Hopefully the rest of their choices will be similar to that. B))

EDIT: Hopefully the Yamato and Andromeda do well enough where they consider the EDF or maybe even Dessler's Battleship.

Edited by UN Spacy

yeah, I've always liked the main battleship too.

I may have to take the plunge for Andromeda....even with that freaking high price. As for prices dropping I'm not so sure, the BPX, after-all, is still pretty high too.

Chris

yeah, I've always liked the main battleship too.

I may have to take the plunge for Andromeda....even with that freaking high price. As for prices dropping I'm not so sure, the BPX, after-all, is still pretty high too.

Chris

Keep checking Ebay.

I found mine for 100. MIB

I also never thought I would find an Arcadia OVA version for 150. But I did!

Anyways

I love this sequence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np_hDgHPJhk&NR=1

One thing that really is pushing me to get the SOC Yamato are those guns. They are much bigger and longer. Also the Wave motion gun LED !

Yes, they are indeed:

PICT2278.JPG

The Wave Motion Gun and Engine LED effects are the coolest thing I've seen yet in a toy/model. Snail00 is right, this sculpt is definitely based on the 2220 OVA version.

-Kyp

Are you going to panel line it? It would look cool

If you didn't go quote every singe image on your replies like you do on the Gundam Plamodel thread, you wouldn't have this problem.:ph34r:

I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one to ignore other people's posts... :lol:

OMG...check out this video demoing Andromeda's Wave Motion Gun firing effects! :o

One word, GLORIOUS.

Even with the crappy sound coming from the video the wave motion gun effects from startup/priming to firing left my mouth wide open. I'm definitely trying to figure out how I'm going to get this thing. Kyp, with all of the input you've contributed to this thread I nominate that YOU be the Captain Avatar of this thread and anything Yamato/S-Blazers. Or....Leader Desslar if you prefer...

Totally agree about the Wave motion gun effect being the biggest selling point to this and it's the main thing tempting me to this. I also like the main gun sounds too. I don't like how the BPX's effect has the mechanical noise of the turrets turning before you get the satisfying thud of the guns firing.

Anyone else find it odd that the design for Andromeda seems kind of under armed compaired to Yamato, no AA batteries.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Even with the crappy sound coming from the video the wave motion gun effects from startup/priming to firing left my mouth wide open. I'm definitely trying to figure out how I'm going to get this thing. Kyp, with all of the input you've contributed to this thread I nominate that YOU be the Captain Avatar of this thread and anything Yamato/S-Blazers. Or....Leader Desslar if you prefer...

*Bows* Thank you, I'll do my best. ^_^

@ Dobber: You're not the only one who finds the Andromeda's weapons design a little lacking in the AA gun department. I've often wondered just how much thought was really given to it's design combat wise. While it's true that it has 4 main guns to Yamato's 3, Yamato also has 2 secondary main guns which puts it even with Andromeda. There's no missile/torpedo doors on Andromeda either...I wish there was a blueprint of it somewhere were all it's weapons were labeled or listed.

*Edit*

Space Battleship (SBB)

Class: Argo/Yamoto

Race: Earth

Launched: 2199

Length: 265.8 M

Beam: 34.6

Height 77 M

Mass: 62.000 tons

Crew: 114

(Officers) 21

(Enlisted) 93

Special Armaments:

1 focused energizing beam wave motion cannons (type 18)

1 magnetic wave projector

Main Battery:

3 x3 barreled heavy shock cannon turrets (dorsal),45 CM

2 x3 barreled light dual purpose shock cannon turrets, 15 CM

Bridge:

28 x2 barreled ABC pulse laser turrets

6 x3 barreled ABC pulse laser turrets

6 x4 barreled ABC pulse laser turrets

8 light missle launchers: In stack

6 bow torpedo launchers

6 aft torpedo launchers

16 light missle launchers: 8 port, 8 starboard

Power plant:

1 Wave motion engine type: A

Battlecraft:

80 55 battlecraft, 25 support craft

3 Black Tiger fighter squadrons 54 or 2 fighter squadrons 36, 1 attack bomber squadrons 18 Astro Commando APCs 25 one Cosmo Zero fighter,Kingfisher JRBs, MedVac Hovers,Astro Commando APCs, Astro Rescuers, Seamless recon craft,Astro rover vehicles,Astro Asender Shuttles

The Argo/Yamoto was the first Earth Space Battleship design to utilize the wave motion source of power. It incorporates tremendous wave motion powered shock cannons and is the first earth vessel to use the focused energizing beam wave motion cannon this class also carried a large number of missle launchers and anti-battlecraft rapid fire laser turrets.

An innovative feature on the Argo/Yamoto was the incorporation of four hanger decks, which allowed for a large compliment of battlecraft and support craft. These craft have retractable components for more efficent storage. The ship was also adapted for underwater propulsion and has expandable side wings for atmospheric flight capibliity.

All information from Starblazers Technical Manual Warship Recognition Guide

Andromeda:

Space Battleship (SBB)

Class: Andromeda1

Race: Earth

Launched: 2201

Length: 275 m

Beam: 66.2 m

Height: 80 m

Mass: 98,000 Tons

Crew 95

(Officers): 20

(Enlisted): 75

Special Armament:

2 wide energizing beam wave motion cannons (Type 20)

Main Battery:

4 X 3 barreled heavy shock cannon turrets, 45cm

7 glant energy cannons (bridge), 45 CM

8 lateral cannons (4 port, starboard casemated 45 cm)

Bridge:

2x 2 barreled ABC pulse laser turrets (forward)

2x3 barreled ABC pulse laser turrets (1 port, 1 starboard)

Hull:

4 Bow torpedo launchers (2 port, 2 starboard)

4x 2 light missle launchers 2 port, 2 starboard)

Power plant:

1 wave motion engine type B/a

4 Kelvin Impulse units model IKV 60/ 595 fusion

Battlecraft:

80 72 battlecraft, 8 support craft

2 fighter squadrons (36)

1 attack bomber squadron (18)

1 torpedo bomber squadron (18)

8 shuttles, recon

The heaviest class of EDF space battleship currently in service, The Andromeda Class combines the maximum amount of wave motion cannons,as well as shock and energy cannon firepower. The increased beam allows for a larger hangar deck which accommodates an increased battlecraft component that is dedicated to anti ship missions.

The higher mass of this class reflects the addition of heavier armor protection, and an increased wave motion engine capability.

The ANDROMEDA 1 was destroyed in action against the White Comet City State, Gatlantis, on October 6, 2201 It had only been in commission for one month.

All information from the Starblazers EDF Technical Manual Warship recognition guide.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron