SOC GX-57 Space Battleship Yamato Review

Kyp Durron

Thanks for the info Kyp. Love the like of Andromeda but do wish it was bristling with some more guns. Also, anyone else think the GX-58 Andromeda's Wave motion effect is not as impressive looking as Yamato's? Maybe it was just due to it being demonstrated in a larger well lit room...hope that's all it is cause it doesn't seem to light up as much.

Chris

I agree with Kyp. This image below was posted a few pages back. I've linked it from Snail00's dengeki scan thread.

1. Clean sculpt folks. Besides, I hardly touch the gimmicks on the BPX-01.

2. All of the large fins and antenna on the GX-57 are hard plastic. Not all soft and mishapen like on the BPX-01.

IMG_0035.jpg

well i might pick it up if and when it drops in price. I have the BPX-01 and even with its faults I love it. Right now I have it on display with the 2 versions of Arcadia's and the Queen Emeraldas with the bays open to expose the internal structures. I guess that is the selling point that keeps that thing around 180 US. The SOC selling point... cleaner lines. But your right the stupid antennas made from soft plastic what were they thinking. If you noticed in my Dengeki Scans thread their is another version of the Argo on the way as well as an Andromeda.

Funny thing The Andromeda has a lot of torpedo missile bays and yet got destroyed in less than three months in service in one battle. Not to good for a Earth Capital ship.

If you noticed in my Dengeki Scans thread their is another version of the Argo on the way as well as an Andromeda.

I saw that page. The Yamato and Andromeda are small gashapons. However,in your scans there's also mention of the 1/500 scale Yamato kit. That's the Yamato I want to spend on. The sculpt on that one is the best (IMO). Pre-colored and snap-fit like most Bandai kits.

Will buy it just as soon as I clear out some of the kit building backlog...

I saw that page. The Yamato and Andromeda are small gashapons. However,in your scans there's also mention of the 1/500 scale Yamato kit. That's the Yamato I want to spend on. The sculpt on that one is the best (IMO). Pre-colored and snap-fit like most Bandai kits.

Will buy it just as soon as I clear out some of the kit building backlog...

Wait what! 1/500. You mean the one from Bandai back in '07 with the awesome electronics and Wave motion LED. Im looking at the book now and of course I cant read Japanese and I dont see it says Bandai anywhere but also I see 1/350 scale so is there another one? It also has the same line art as the BPX-01 which i guess they are aiming at the Series Look

Edited by Snail00

Wait what! 1/500. You mean the one from Bandai back in '07 with the awesome electronics and Wave motion LED. Im looking at the book now and of course I cant read Japanese and I dont see it says Bandai anywhere but also I see 1/350 scale so is there another one? It also has the same line art as the BPX-01 which i guess they are aiming at the Series Look

The one from 2007 is the 1/350 scale kit. This one: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN946749

There's a new 1/500 scale kit that was just released this month. This one: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN965514

Check out all the pics on HLJ!

Here's also the promo sheet from Bandai on the 1/500 kit: http://www.bandai.co.jp/press/images/3/59469.pdf

Edited by Vifam7

The one from 2007 is the 1/350 scale kit. This one: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN946749

There's a new 1/500 scale kit that was just released this month. This one: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN965514

Check out all the pics on HLJ!

Here's also the promo sheet from Bandai on the 1/500 kit: http://www.bandai.co.jp/press/images/3/59469.pdf

That 1/500 kit is based on the limited edition 1/700 kit that came with the DVD box set, I think I'll get this too, lol.

-Kyp

Thanks guys. I think it looks much better too. The way it was kinda bugged me because it has all those panel lines, but none of them were painted in and it was like all of Yamato's VF's...fantastic sculpt, but with nothing panel lined, it just looks kinda bland to me.

I forgot about mentioning this yesterday. This is one of the two areas on the ship that gave me pause about marking them:

PICT2297.JPG_circled_area.jpg

Obviously, it's EXTREMELY difficult to get to those areas without marking outside the lines. Not to mention being able to get your finger in there quickly to wipe off the excess. But that's not the only thing you guys need to be aware of...when I got to the section circled in red, I obviously went outside the line and used a q-tip with Taymiya Acrylic Paint Thinner to take off the excess as I found it will remove Gundam marker ink a while back. No big deal right? That's just Grey plastic, right? WRONG!!!! WARNING, THE PLASTIC IS RED AND IS ACTUALLY PAINTED GREY!!! THE ACRYLIC THINNER WILL REMOVE THE GREY PAINT IF YOU RUB TOO HARD!!! :o

If that part of the ships plastic is that way, it's safe to assume the rest of the ship is that way too. Do not use acrylic thinner to remove the excess marker! As you can see from the pics, I mixed Grey paint to match and repaint the area circled in red in the above photo. Whew!! That gave me a huge scare and made me glad I was able to use my fingers everywhere else on the ship to wipe off the excess.

So needless to say, if you decide you want to detail that area, use extreme caution! Another area of caution is the bottom metal section of the hull that's painted red. If you go outside the lines, you won't be able to rub off the excess with your finger, you'll have to use a q-tip with acrylic thinner to to wipe off the excess. I had no trouble with this, the only area I went outside the lines was the bottom rear torpedo doors where the hull is painted red. I had to use the thinner there a couple of times till I got it right. So don't know if it will rub off the painted on weathering or not.

The other area was the deck areas of the ship, but when I saw that BPX-01's were detailed, I knew I had to go the rest of the way, lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did this and it turned out OK for me, but I don't think I'd do it again. :p I'm probably gonna pick up another one later to keep mint and unmodified.

As for the Andromeda, I'm not sure if I'm going to panel line it or not, I'll see when I get it. I don't see any area's that would be too hard to get to, unlike Yamato but I have a feeling that Andromeda will sell out fast and be much harder to get later on so I may not do anything to it for that reason.

*Edit* Got the wings done:

PICT2302.JPG

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

PICT2326.JPG

I bought another Yamato because I think that it would look better panel lined with a GM02 Grey marker rather than Black. Consequently, I don't need two Yamato's so I'm going to be selling mine for $200 shipped since it was panel lined and I feel that the "collector's value" is diminished as a result. At least I will get most of my money back, lol.

I just got my Bandai 1/500 Yamato kit...freaking brilliant!! Anyone know a good color match for the grey of Yamato's hull? The molded colors look great, but I'm still going to paint this sucker and was curious if Tamiya or testors made a good color that matches Yamato's grey.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

wasn't planning on getting this since i already have the older version, but i was killing time in the mall today and chanced on a GX-57 for about USD220. too good to pass up.

now i have to think about what to do with my old one. when i mentioned to the guy at the toy store that i now have to consider selling the BPX01, he was aghast and advised me to hang onto it instead, saying that it will become much more valuable than the GX-57; which i found strange since the GX-57 seems to have been released in fewer numbers. i collect to display rather than for the purpose of reselling later, although my BPX-01 has remained mostly in storage since i got it a few weeks before i moved and never got around to opening the box of toys it was in after i got to my new place. i'm inclined to sell but nonetheless curious what you guys plan to do with your BPX-01

I had two of these with the intention to panel line one with my Grey GM02 Gundam marker and keep the other one untouched, but because I wasn't going to be able to pay for my Andromeda pre-order, I had to sell my unopened one. As a result, I won't be panel lining the one I have on display since it's unlikely that I'll be panel lining the Andromeda.

My reasons? Since the Yamato seems to have been produced in smaller numbers than the BPX-01 was, I have a feeling that the Yamato will go up in value. Also, I think the Andromeda will end up being worth even more since there's never been any produced other than the way over price Marmit version. I therefore don't dare try and panel line it either.

Edit~ Here's a couple of pictures of it with my 1/500 version:

PICT2347.JPG

PICT2348.JPG

PICT2349.JPG

PICT2350.JPG

PICT2351.JPG

PICT2352.JPG

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

I had two of these with the intention to panel line one with my Grey GM02 Gundam marker and keep the other one untouched, but because I wasn't going to be able to pay for my Andromeda pre-order, I had to sell my unopened one. As a result, I won't be panel lining the one I have on display since it's unlikely that I'll be panel lining the Andromeda.

My reasons? Since the Yamato seems to have been produced in smaller numbers than the BPX-01 was, I have a feeling that the Yamato will go up in value. Also, I think the Andromeda will end up being worth even more since there's never been any produced other than the way over price Marmit version. I therefore don't dare try and panel line it either.

Edit~ Here's a couple of pictures of it with my 1/500 version:

-Kyp

Without the panel lining its so so. Why even put weathering on it when it clearly looks like dull plastic. So in with the old and out with the new

My used BPX-01 sold on E-Bay for $117 shipped.

I made all of my money back plus change.

not bad. hopefully i'll have similar luck. in the meantime i plan to take the BPX-01 out of storage, put in on display for a week or so, then put it up for sale.

if the girlfriend asks why i have two of these things, i'll just allude to why she has several colors of the same shoe style. on second thought, i might save that for when the TV SDF comes out ;)

having a blast with the GX-57. not missing the retractable wings, nor the cannon and engine internals. but i do have a couple of peeves about it:

- there is a noticeable pause before the final firing sequence engages. wish there was an option for a continuous charge up to firing sequence (like the one in BPX-01) which presumably would be more seamless compared to the current two-stage, user-triggered version

- there are some light leaks near the wave gun. it was excusable in the BPX-01 since it had opening panels, but not for the GX-57. fortunately, the light leaks only become obvious in a very dark setting

here's to hoping they fix those in the next decade's update. perhaps by then they can also squeeze in fiberoptics for the main guns, maybe even for the AA too ..