Pros: How do you customize?

Neova

I was checking out the magazine section on the main site and blew my wad after seeing the picture below. I see the parts are all detachable and would like to try this in my spare time, working on one piece over time and moving onto the next if I don't get frustrated. I'm not a good model building but can work well with tools if given direction. The level of attention is incredible. I would love to see this done to a production transformable toy such as a Yamato.

What parts did you think he used or if there was an item list, what were they? I've read plastic styrene is the material of choice to building up parts but this guy simply rocks. Did he take sheets, cut them up, glue them, bond up the seams, sand and mold and then follow up with primer and paint? I didn't see how the torso armor was attached but I think its was a two piece affair with the front and backs connecting to each other via studs. The leg armors would probably attach the same way. I don't know how he formed the swing out hinges either. Any tutorials would be appreciated since I'm heading to the local hobby shops to re-fill on materials soon, oh and to pickup a few MORE VF-1 battroid kits (just in case you know).

mg-oct2002-page-25.jpg

My feeling is that this thing was made with the following:

-Styrene sheets and tubes

-Kitbashed parts from a 1/72 super valk kit

-1/72 Hasegawa battroid kit

-Kitbashed parts from multiple car, tanks an aicraft kits.

Some of these parts are just too fancy to have been made with Styrene alone, they must have come from other kits.

I was also thinking this was heavily kitbashed and dang it, my "junk box" is quite empty. sigh...

I will keep everyone posted if I decide to tackle this project. I'm trying to itemize and breakdown the project requirements before I dig in too deep. I need to talk to my ME and EE friends and see what they come up with. Glad they're also die hard Macross fans.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

I think he kitbashed very little. They make the custom parts...WAVE and KOTOBUKIYA to name a few. You can build just about anything with the "parts" selection they have out now. I think he used these parts, styrene and maybe some thin flexible plastic sheets.

Rob

Edited by Monkey-N

I went parts shopping today and after checking out plenty of Wave and Kotobukiya parts, even tons of military grade photo etches, I'm still at a lost of how he did it. Most of Wave's parts are for Gundam 1/144 kits and some for 1/100. I was also looking at Zoid's line of addons and one part seems to match but would require a lot work to make it functional.

I think you're right about lots of custom styrene. Most of the shapes are flat geometrics with a smooth surface. The nosecone and cockpit armor could have been cut from another cockpit, re-shaped and attached. The details such as the round recesses do look like photoetches or Wave parts tho. The hardest part to replicate are the hinges (there are no Wave and Kotobukiya parts that look anything like that - at least as I've found) and the skeletal frame he setup. Strip styrene would be my first guess and possibly supported by brass rods. There is a lot of peg work in there too (shaved plastic tubing) and I even thought he used lego parts for the missle racks but those were too big for a 1/72 scale.

I'm currently hacking another kit for mobility so will come back to this later.

• 2 months later...
we need your skillz with the models... don't waste your time with the TOYS!!!!!

ditto

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I have to stay true to my namesake... "xstoys". For me, it's more of a challenge to build something beautiful that can really transform & be played with, as opposed to just staring at a beautifully built static model.

"XSModels" just doesn't sound right ... does it??? :blink:

we need your skillz with the models... don't waste your time with the TOYS!!!!!

ditto

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I have to stay true to my namesake... "xstoys". For me, it's more of a challenge to build something beautiful that can really transform & be played with, as opposed to just staring at a beautifully built static model.

"XSModels" just doesn't sound right ... does it??? :blink:

preach the word brother!

If you're good, you can make a beautifully made model as tough and fun as a toy.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I have to stay true to my namesake... "xstoys".  For me, it's more of a challenge to build something beautiful that can really transform & be played with, as opposed to just staring at a beautifully built static model.

If you're good, you can make a beautifully made model as tough and fun as a toy.

But not all, & I stress "ALL" models are able to transform & be posable; like the valkyries we all love so much. Don't get me wrong, I like models too, & I do acknowledge that some models do have much more detail than most toys, but the fun of having a toy is to play with it; & if it happens to look good while you're playing with it, then even better. Models look great, but are fragile & don't hold up too well after a few transformations.

My 2 bits...

But not all, & I stress "ALL" models are able to transform & be posable; like the valkyries we all love so much. Don't get me wrong, I like models too, & I do acknowledge that some models do have much more detail than most toys, but the fun of having a toy is to play with it; & if it happens to look good while you're playing with it, then even better. Models look great, but are fragile & don't hold up too well after a few transformations.

My 2 bits...

Make it big. Make it strong. Make it metal.

Engineer it.

In my mind, a toy can never look as good as a model. Just the seams are enough distraction.

Of course, I'm not too thrilled about the transformation aspect of many designs, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

I thought it was time just to "wet everyone's whistle." :rolleyes:

I was wondering when you were going to let that cat out of the bag! :D

Keep it up Tony. And for folks who were wondering, I think a bigger scale would be easier to work on... still investigating the engineering on this one.