Transformers Gen1 Questions......

Dax415

I think TF the Movie, with all its faults, is really enjoyable and well-made.

Totally... hell, just a few months ago I watched my newly obtained DVD copy and noticed stuff I'd never caught before in the VHS version I've had since I was a kid. Not exactly a masterpiece of cinematography, but it's a fun movie to watch for nostalgia's sake, or just to watch some giant robots kick the sh*t out of each other in a way that you just can't get away with on TV anymore.

In a way, I feel the same about the postwar arc of SDF Mac. I mean, the story was over; it just seems like they were dragging stuff on. Rodimus Prime's lack of confidence as leader in TF S3 and the post-apocalyptic trauma in Macross were both really mature themes that I'm glad are there [...]

Hm... while my memories of watching the original Transformers series as a kid are a bit on the fuzzy side after all these years, and I only ever had a handful of episodes on tape, but one thing I remember clearly from back then is that even as a kid I thought Rodimus Prime was a wuss. It would be totally believable for him to be unsure of himself after being asked to fill Optimus Prime's shoes under normal circumstances, but the kid was sharing his bonce with the collective wisdom of every Autobot leader ever. At that point, his lack of confidence in his role as leader loses any pretense of credibility. I actually remember being quite pleased when they brought Optimus Prime back from the dead and one of the first things he did was beat the snot out of Rodimus and take back the Matrix.

Ah, such fun childhood memories... I was such a cynical kid.

There was plenty I liked about season 3, including Rodimus. He was badass, sarcastic, fearless, decisive; everything you'd want in a leader. Granted, the writers focused on his insecurities far more than was necessary. But overall, dude effin ruled.

Blitzwing was becoming an awesome character, having to choose between allegiance and his conscience. Too bad he was dropped from the show.

Post movie, the show became alot more sci-fi, expanding across galaxies, dimensions, and time. It also had a darker, grittier feel to it, which especially appealed to me.

And although there were some stinkers (Nijika, Carnage), there were also a handful of outstanding episodes to offset them (Awakening, Webworld, Burden, Human, Primatives).

Edited by RD Blade

Hey now, nobody; was ever whiny or emo in Macross 7. You may not have liked what Basara was doing, but he was doing it passionately & in the enemies face. Never was there a moment of "maybe i'm not good enough, & maybe blah blah balh."

AAAAHHHHAHAHAHAAAA!!! Right, that went in my sig.

Actually, there were 2 good things about TF season 3

1:The episode with Cobra Commander at the end yelling "COOBRAA ::cough cough:::"

2:Super smart Grimlock.

Heh indications Sunbow/Marvel GI Joe and Transformers is in the same continuity. Besides that talk show host, that EDC gal Marissa Fairborne is hinted as Flints daughter having the same last name and her father having Flint's VA.

During Beast Wars run I took it the Protoform technology of the Maximals and Predacons were derived from Sythoid technology. The reason cited by Megatron II for killing the humans was if it wasn't for them the Decepticons would have won the Great War. I took it humans had also a hand with the creation of the new generation of Transformers giving the Autobots synthoid technology.