Yamato's Queadluun-Rau

arrow

I would love it in green TV scheme. Buy it instantly. I'd buy two if they aded a tiny bit of articulation (knees and ankles).

I'd buy another one if they updated it so it more like the destroids in the articulation and detailing. As they are now, I wouldn't buy another ever if it did come in TV green.

The TV and DYRL Q-raus are quite different, many contours and shapes were changed in DYRL so Yamato would have to make mostly new parts instead of just repaint it.

It's such an outdated figure I am surprised it got a re-issue about two years ago, compared to the Destroids issued about the same time and you know which one is better.

The TV and DYRL Q-raus are quite different, many contours and shapes were changed in DYRL so Yamato would have to make mostly new parts instead of just repaint it.

It's such an outdated figure I am surprised it got a re-issue about two years ago, compared to the Destroids issued about the same time and you know which one is better.

I didn't know that. I'm watching the TV show now, and actually for the first time I'm seeing those differences. Strange how I never noticed them before.

Eugimon, I *LOVE* the new Destroids by Yamato. I was hesitant to buy them because I had the 1/72 scale ExoSquad versions. I can't even look at those any more. The Yamato Tomahawk is one of the coolest toys I've ever owned...and it doesn't even transform! If they did a new Queadluun-Rau like that, man, I'd try to get a few of them!

It's about as different as the 1/60 YF-19 to the new VF-19. Plus they really have to work on that pose where the Qrau clasps both hands together to shoot... that's the iconic pose!

I still love my Qraus though.

From the proto shots I thought they were making it to be that huge. I was thinking that's more like 1/48... so somewhere in the Yamato offices there's a 1/48 resin Qrau... lol. $500!!!

dh-aug-03-page-3.jpg

Prototypes are always bigger than the actual product.

They shrink down about 5 to 8 percent depending on the material that they're going to use for production.

Q-Rau is my favorite mecha, may be the next vinyl figure after Glaug...? :blink:

Edited by Maiden Japan

Prototypes are always bigger than the actual product.

They shrink down about 5 to 8 percent depending on the material that they're going to use for production.

Q-Rau is my favorite mecha, may be the next vinyl figure after Glaug...? :blink:

It's not my favorite, but it's up there. Seriously, it has to be the most distinct mecha in all of Macross. It just looks mean.

I'd buy another one if they updated it so it more like the destroids in the articulation and detailing. As they are now, I wouldn't buy another ever if it did come in TV green.

I agree what you say about updating the articulation. I love the Rau design, althought this 1/60 Q-Rau is not a great toy (still looks great for display). I bought the red version in normal price and then the Max version in discount recently.

I hope Yamato will release a new version 2 1/60 green Q-Rau (TV version with better articulation, details and decals)...

Edited by macrossnake

Regarding scale:

Considering you have to fit a meltran about the height of a VF-1 inside, the prototype's size seems quite 1/60 to me.

The released toy is much smaller. Since we are at it, the 1/60 Regult Yamato is working on is huge compared to the VF-1, and the Toynami 1/100 Regult is also much taller than the Hi-metal VF-1...

I think Yamato consciously scaled-down the release version to make it more manageable and affordable.

That said, I'd be all over another Q-rau if it:

1) is as articulated as the Destroids

2) is to-scale (*preferably 1/60)

Edited by regult

Regarding scale:

Considering you have to fit a meltran about the height of a VF-1 inside, the prototype's size seems quite 1/60 to me.

The released toy is much smaller. Since we are at it, the 1/60 Regult Yamato is working on is huge compared to the VF-1, and the Toynami 1/100 Regult is also much taller than the Hi-metal VF-1...

I think Yamato consciously scaled-down the release version to make it more manageable and affordable.

That said, I'd be all over another Q-rau if it:

1) is as articulated as the Destroids

2) is to-scale (*preferably 1/60)

Millia, or any Meltrans aren't the size of a VF-1 though. They go up to about midway. And a Zentran is about below 3/4ths up.

gallery_151_382_55220.jpg

The CMs Millia for the Qrau is just below scale. I think they did that so it can be displayed with the rest of the CMs collection and to put into the tight spaces of the toy. But the toy itself is the right scale. As always, the animation takes a lot of liberty and always goes for aesthetics over lineart stats.

Milia is actually kind of short for a Meltran. She's 8.55m tall and afaik, most average soldiers are near the 10m mark.

Regardless, the VFs all stand much taller than Zentrans and Meltrans alike. Ergo, the Zentraedi and Meltrandi mecha must be a good bit larger than the VFs.

Millia, or any Meltrans aren't the size of a VF-1 though. They go up to about midway. And a Zentran is about below 3/4ths up.

Unfortunately, consistency in the scaling of Zentran and Meltran hasn't been as consistent as we'd like... There's Britai, for example, and the Zentran uniform that fits over Max's VF-1.

It gets even better with Frontier (Klan and Mikhail's VF-25)...

And then there's:

post-32-128305029599_thumb.png

I knew that size charts and stats would be quoted after I typed my message...and I also have in mind all the points made, but still, Zentradi mecha SHOULD BE bigger than they're usually represented in toy form. If they're the same size as a VF-1, there's no way you can fit any Zentradi inside...and there is also a lot of literature on this matter.

Regarding Mrs. Jenius' stature and the Yamato Q-rau, it seems plain silly to have her legs stretched stiff and tuck in the backpack, basically the Q-rau never had a proper cockpit in Mr. Kawamori's head, but the smaller the Q-rau, the harder it gets to visually convince anyone otherwise.

To summarize, I think I'd have preferred a larger Q-rau toy for the original price tag, and can stand to-scale with the new (unaffordable) Regult.

I knew that size charts and stats would be quoted after I typed my message...

But that's where the fun begin! lol.

...and I also have in mind all the points made, but still, Zentradi mecha SHOULD BE bigger than they're usually represented in toy form. If they're the same size as a VF-1, there's no way you can fit any Zentradi inside...and there is also a lot of literature on this matter.

Regarding Mrs. Jenius' stature and the Yamato Q-rau, it seems plain silly to have her legs stretched stiff and tuck in the backpack, basically the Q-rau never had a proper cockpit in Mr. Kawamori's head, but the smaller the Q-rau, the harder it gets to visually convince anyone otherwise.

To summarize, I think I'd have preferred a larger Q-rau toy for the original price tag, and can stand to-scale with the new (unaffordable) Regult.

I totally agree... there's a lot of instances where we see VF-1s toe to toe with an average Zentran and they were about the same height.

• VF-1s hand to hand fight with Zentrans and Britai in the loading dock
  • Hikaru comes face to face with one after he crashes into a ship (i believe it was just before a Deadalus attack on the same ship,IIRC)
  • During Exedol's visit on the SDF-1, they were greeted by VF-1's
  • After tricking some rogue Zetradi's that they were being attacked, a friendly Zetradi's cigarette was lit by a VF-1s gunpod.
  • Max actually finds a Zentradi soldier who's uniform he can steal and disguise his valkyrie

When we first see the giant Zentradi Regult pilot grab onto the VF-1D's leg... as a kid I was blown away by the explanation of why a transforming plane was a necessity. After seeing Transformers size shifting between disguise mode and robot mode and the Robeasts (lol) in Voltron growing in size conveniently to Voltron's height for no reason, I was thoroughly shocked by a show that treated giant robots intelligently. But to see them kinda backstep the scale issue to what they are today (or whenever they did it) in the specs is kinda disappointing.

Another thing, if Clan clan can fit into a Queadluun-Rea that's the same size as the Queadluun-Rau, then why is Millia's size limited to her small frame?

Basically this is what they say it is

scale1small1283127311.JPG

But this is what we see in the cartoon

scale3small1283127741.JPG

with Alto as a stand in for the zentradi.

Right. And then they have Meltran taller than VF-22S, which is one of the tallest valks in UN Spacy.

Basically, what is "said" isn't worth as much as is "shown" when they conflict, even if it's "canon" isn't in dispute. The visual medium IS the canon.

Yeah, canon is what ever they say it is. But toys are a visual medium for me... I can't have these midget zentradi's with my valks... it defeats the purpose of having giants... can't imagine if they would have ben fighting the VF-0s instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Visual is almost never considered canon. Any and all productions either make compromises or the they willfully break rules for dramatic effect.

Dramatic effect is the name of the game.

It's like when I use to work for Paramount. For reality TV, they'd keep every damn second of footage cause, six months later, the Producers want this character and this character to be angry with each other, even though they weren't. So, they'd pull footage up and edit them giving each other dirty looks. Even though it was six months apart in reality. Good God, I hate reality TV. It's amazing to me how many people believe that crap is real. All I have to tell them is each show has over 30 writers on staff. How real can it be if there are writers? Ha ha.

Yeah. I've seen a lot of liberties taken for the benefit of drama throughout the industry.

Cartoons are so much easier to manipulate for effect too. You don't need to strum through months of footage to try to fake a fight.

But I do appreciate scale, especially with my toys. Have to agree with >EXO< on that. I also collect Transformers, and that toyline is all over the place with it's scale. It's nice having everything consistent.