Need some painting advice for VF-19 & VF-22,please.

Maxtype

Hi all.

I'm starting two kits,a 1/72 scale VF-22S I'm painting as Milia's Special, and the 1/48 YF-19 that I'm turning into a VF-19A+.

Do any of you have any tips for painting the red on Milia's VF so that it looks like a plane and not a cel from the anime? Should I add a couple of tones to vary the scheme?

On the VF-19, I'm planning on doing it as the World Famous Pukin' Dogs, using a Fightertown Decals sheet for the gryphon/puking dog markings. I was going to paint an old-skool F-4 Phantom-style scheme of gloss gray over white, but the more I think about it, I'm afraid that will look to busy on the fighter. Now I'm thinking a simple gloss gull gray scheme with some blue trim. What do you think?

Any opinions or advice y'all can offer are most welcome!

Most red aircraft are very glossy in the real world. Think sports car red. To my eye, they actually do look pretty close to an anime cel look! ^_^

post-2082-1271683620_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1271683634_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1271683644_thumb.jpg

Edited by jardann

You may want to try a little bit darker, flat finish for Millia's plane. Something like the pic below, but a bit darker. I would try some flat red with maybe a few drops of a dark grey added. Good luck with the projects and be sure to post your progress here! You'll get lots of help and advice I'm sure.

post-2082-1271683897_thumb.jpg

You may want to try a little bit darker, flat finish for Millia's plane. Something like the pic below, but a bit darker. I would try some flat red with maybe a few drops of a dark grey added. Good luck with the projects and be sure to post your progress here! You'll get lots of help and advice I'm sure.

jardann,thank you for the images and advice! :)

I like the idea of flat red/w a bit of dark grey. Oh-that first Pukin' Dogs image is the instructions from the sheet I ordered. After looking at these images, I think the simpler grey will be better on the -19.

I'm going to post pixs soon in a build thread, and again, opinions and tips from everyone will be much appreciated! :D

The thing to remember about YF-19 paintschemes... it doesn't look very good with standard marking types used on round nosecones (at least to me). The sharp edge around the nose breaks up any smooth markings, and the only way I know that actually looks good is painting the entire nose a solid color, starting at the separation line ahead of the cockpit.

Painting an anti-glare panel might work if done right, but because of the complex curve of the nose, it tends to look funny to me. I've seen people paint just the front half of the nose a different shade, and it looked completely out of place, since there's no existing dividing line there.

Now... because that sharp edge on the nose makes a solid dividing line though, painting a variation of the 70's navy scheme might work. Just don't do the wavy white line, and use the existing fuselage edges as borders.

Btw... don't go by that F-14 model photo for colors. That blue is ridiculously bright.

The thing to remember about YF-19 paintschemes... it doesn't look very good with standard marking types used on round nosecones (at least to me). The sharp edge around the nose breaks up any smooth markings, and the only way I know that actually looks good is painting the entire nose a solid color, starting at the separation line ahead of the cockpit.

Painting an anti-glare panel might work if done right, but because of the complex curve of the nose, it tends to look funny to me. I've seen people paint just the front half of the nose a different shade, and it looked completely out of place, since there's no existing dividing line there.

Now... because that sharp edge on the nose makes a solid dividing line though, painting a variation of the 70's navy scheme might work. Just don't do the wavy white line, and use the existing fuselage edges as borders.

Btw... don't go by that F-14 model photo for colors. That blue is ridiculously bright.

Thanks, Chronocidal. You've put into words my gut feeling about painting the YF-19. I don't have any photoshop skills, so I'm going to print out some lineart and color it with markers, just to get a rough guide to how the colorscheme will break out.

Question: I saw a post where you said the -19 should look good in a Su-27 scheme. What do you think of a standard Flanker scheme with Pukin' Dogs insignia?

Thanks, Chronocidal. You've put into words my gut feeling about painting the YF-19. I don't have any photoshop skills, so I'm going to print out some lineart and color it with markers, just to get a rough guide to how the colorscheme will break out.

Question: I saw a post where you said the -19 should look good in a Su-27 scheme. What do you think of a standard Flanker scheme with Pukin' Dogs insignia?

Hey Maxtype,

I would love to see this project with the Puking Dogs Insignia!! And being a former member of the actual squadron (before they converted to F-18's)

I have to agree with Chronocidal about the blue. It is a shade too bright in the above picture. However if you use that same blue with the 36375 gray paint scheme that we used to use I think it wouldn't be that bad or you could go with the darker blue (15044) Also if you want an alternative to the blue, we used to paint the tails of our other jets with a dark gray instead. I will include some pictures that may help you as a reference.

looking forward to seeing how it turns out B))

Blue

post-12658-1271753479_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1271753911_thumb.jpg

post-12658-1271753963_thumb.jpg

Hey Maxtype,

I would love to see this project with the Puking Dogs Insignia!! And being a former member of the actual squadron (before they converted to F-18's)

I have to agree with Chronocidal about the blue. It is a shade too bright in the above picture. However if you use that same blue with the 36375 gray paint scheme that we used to use I think it wouldn't be that bad or you could go with the darker blue (15044) Also if you want an alternative to the blue, we used to paint the tails of our other jets with a dark gray instead. I will include some pictures that may help you as a reference.

looking forward to seeing how it turns out B))

Blue

WOW! Thank you for those photos, they are really something! That's awesome that you served with -143. :) This Pukin' Dogs VF-19 will happen, I promise. I'm a slow builder, but I've wanted a VF in these markings for years. I'm liking the 36375 gray scheme. Lwt me do a few tests to see what looks best on the Excalibre, but the Dogs will ride in the 2040's! :D

WOW! Thank you for those photos, they are really something! That's awesome that you served with -143. :) This Pukin' Dogs VF-19 will happen, I promise. I'm a slow builder, but I've wanted a VF in these markings for years. I'm liking the 36375 gray scheme. Lwt me do a few tests to see what looks best on the Excalibre, but the Dogs will ride in the 2040's! :D

vf4svf143combined.th.png

;)

Good luck with these models, they sound like ones I'll definitely be following as you build them.

vf4svf143combined.th.png

;)

Good luck with these models, they sound like ones I'll definitely be following as you build them.

Thank you! I'll post pix when I have something to show.

I've always thought that if the Jolly Rogers flew Valkyries, that the Dogs would too! :D

Thank you! I'll post pix when I have something to show.

I've always thought that if the Jolly Rogers flew Valkyries, that the Dogs would too! :D

I thought the same (I actually have the Rogers split off from Skull, as SVF-103 and SVF-1 respectively). I ended up doing a lot of USN squadron markings on the VF-4, including the Wolfpack, Swordsmen, Black Lions, Tomcatters, Stallions, etc.

Edited by Talos

I thought the same (I actually have the Rogers split off from Skull, as SVF-103 and SVF-1 respectively). I ended up doing a lot of USN squadron markings on the VF-4, including the Wolfpack, Swordsmen, Black Lions, Tomcatters, Stallions, etc.

I saw those on Macross Mecha!

Those profiles helped me to decide to do this specific -19 as a Dog. The decals I bought also have some small insignia that should fit a 1/72 VF-1.

Thanks for those great profiles!

I saw those on Macross Mecha!

Those profiles helped me to decide to do this specific -19 as a Dog. The decals I bought also have some small insignia that should fit a 1/72 VF-1.

Thanks for those great profiles!

Ah, nice, nice. Look forward to seeing the VF-1 too. Whenever I get around to shading and coloring it, I'm going to be doing plenty of Navy squadron markings on the new VF-1A/D/J/S lineart I drew for profiling.

Re: red

Closest thing to Milia's in the real world:

David, thank you! That's a perfect example for what I want to do. I have at least 3 kits I want to do as Milia,and that's the look I want.

Re: red

Closest thing to Milia's in the real world:

Maxtype, those are going to be awesome!

David, are those all the same aircraft? I'm guessing it was a testbed for something, if that's the case. The variable intake (if that's what they are) looks very interesting.

Maxtype, those are going to be awesome!

David, are those all the same aircraft? I'm guessing it was a testbed for something, if that's the case. The variable intake (if that's what they are) looks very interesting.

It's just a regular JASDF aggressor F-15 painted in a special scheme for the 50th anniversary of the JASDF. The variable intake is standard.

Edited by Talos

It's just a regular JASDF aggressor F-15 painted in a special scheme for the 50th anniversary of the JASDF. The variable intake is standard.

ie: All F-15 models A-through the proposed XS do that, though typically they only lower for high-speeds, and actually generate alot of lift that way too... just ask the Israeli pilot who lost his wing, but

Edited by slide

You know, I read that story some months back and thought it was unbelievable! Awesome that he made it home that way!

I had no idea that the intakes were variable geometry and the F-15 has been my favorite fighter since I was a boy! Wow, I have so much to learn!

Back on topic, Maxtype, you planning on going for a gloss or more matte paint?

Matte for both, maybe a little rub polish on Milia but I just don't get the impression that her VF's are super shiny "airshow" type birds. I think that particular F-15 David posted is a perfect guide for the look I want..

I'm going for a low-viz but clean look on the -19. I'm toying with the idea of changing it's national logo from "UN Spacy" to "NUNS". ^_^ What do y'all think? Maybe she's an VF-19A+ serving on an old carrier or visiting a colony around 2058-2060.