The End of the Decade thread......

taksraven

* Best/Worst Anime (film/TV series/OAV) - Coyote Ragtime and Karas / Karas (the last half hour)

* Best/Worst Manga - Dance of the Vampire Bund (started slow) / Don't know if there is a worse, I enjoyed them all (based on my collection of mangas).

* Best/Worst SF (film/TV series) - Babylon 5 (including episodes that aired in Sci Fi channel) / The off shoot series that came after the original Babylon 5 series

* Best/Worst SF Literary (Book/Short story/Comic) -

* Most annoying trend in Anime - Kiddie heroes, in a serious anime theme.

* Most annoying trend in SF - Time travel

* Best comeback - JJ Abrahams movie rendition of Star Trek (yah, I know time travel, but for some stupid reason, JJ made it work for this movie.)

* Most disappointing comeback -

* Best/Worst Game of the decade - Project Kikaioh (Dreamcast) / Auto Assault and RF Online (both MMOs cancelled by the same company)

* Most consistent game developer - Blizzard <_<

* Best/Worst Game platform of the decade - Dreamcast / Anything Atari

* Which product do you really wish had not turned out to be vapourware? Anything Dreamcast (even the bad ones)

* Most Unnecessary *Remake - PSP Go

*Sequel

* Greatest addition to your toy/model/DVD collection - Strike and GPBS armor, and Fans Project Transformers addon / Full Metal Panic

* What is the piece of technology that you have now which was not available at the start of the decade that you cannot do without? iPod, Portable drives and the MS Sidewinder Mouse (hopefully, I can get the MS Sidewinder X8 soon).

* Best/Worst Band/Album/Live performance

* What do you think is going to be the most inaccurate SF prediction about life in 2010? The climate

* Person of the decade (NO politicals) (Make this persons of the decade) - Shoji Kawamori (Macross, Armored Core, Kikaioh), Miyazaki, Alex Ross, Kia Asamiya

* Where do you think you will be at the end of next decade? In front of my PC (using "motion sensitive air keyboards") answering the same questions.

* Complete the following sentence. "I will be much happier next decade if..........." Harmony Gold actually worked with Big West/Studio Nue for the good of the Macross series and their fans.

+ What have you been calling this decade? (The zero-zero's, the noughties, whatever) Decade of the Valk girls (thank you Poli) :mellow:

Edited by Dangaioh

Actually we do have another year. The calender we use today is based off a Roman calender, which at the time of conception did not have the concept of 0!!!, and was numbered in Roman numerals. So the year 2010 is the last year of the 2000's decade (2001-2010).

Actually we do have another year. The calender we use today is based off a Roman calender, which at the time of conception did not have the concept of 0!!!, and was numbered in Roman numerals. So the year 2010 is the last year of the 2000's decade (2001-2010).

Um... I'm pretty sure that the Romans understood the concept of zero, as the word null is of Latin origin (though its modern meaning is not exactly the same as zero, but the general idea conveyed is) - as it would have been impossible to accomplish all the things that Roman Civilization did without it. There was a zero, it was just represented in a number of ways:

Source

It is true however that it's not in the standard roman numeral system

* Best/Worst Anime (film/TV series/OAV) - GiTS SAC Solid State Society / Dunno. Tend to only watch stuff that I know is good. [Disclaimer: I don't watch that much anime... and GiTS SAC III is the only one I can remember the story of after watching it, and I remember it making me think after watching it, too.]

* Best/Worst Manga - mine / Macross F (Aoki Hayato's...)

* Best/Worst SF (film/TV series) - Stargate SG-1 / Alien Vs Predator 2 [Disclaimer: there may be another film or something, but that's the most recent, totally sucky one]

* Best/Worst SF Literary (Book/Short story/Comic) - mine / Dunno

* Most annoying trend in Anime - dearth of interesting, relatable characters.

* Most annoying trend in SF - spectacle over story. Come on, I thought this lesson was learned in the '90's...

* Best comeback - Macross tied with James Bond

* Most disappointing comeback - Star Trek Enterprise

* Best/Worst Game of the decade - Sim City 4 / dunno

* Most consistent game developer - dunno

* Best/Worst Game platform of the decade - my PC / my PC

* Which product do you really wish had not turned out to be vapourware? dunno

* Most Unnecessary *Remake: hmmm... too hard to pick. Can I say "Toy Story 3D" without having seen it?

*Sequel Pirates of the Caribbean 3

* Greatest addition to your toy/model/DVD collection - Ghostbusters tied with Hot Shots and Hot Shots part Deux

* What is the piece of technology that you have now which was not available at the start of the decade that you cannot do without? mobile phone. (Not that mobile phones didn't exist back then. But the features combined into the mobile phone)

* Best/Worst Band/Album/Live performance - Yoshio Kojima's flubbing of the "tub of hot water" joke.

* What do you think is going to be the most inaccurate SF prediction about life in 2010? that Aliens would create a second star in the solar system.

* Person of the decade Bear Grylls with honorary mention to Steve Irwin.

* Where do you think you will be at the end of next decade? Here (as in my house in Japan)

* Complete the following sentence. "I will be much happier next decade if..........." my manga had spawned a successful animated TV series.

+ What have you been calling this decade? The 20's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisei_period

As for the Western calendar... heard a good one a couple of months ago: "the double 0's."

well end of a decade tally of most grossing film of 09

Fans of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen should be estatic to know that the movie took in top honors, beating out the likes of Harry Potter, Avatar, and Star Trek to be the #1 US grossing movie of 2009. The spread between #1 (Transformers) and #2 (Harry Potter) was pretty wide, about $100 million wide, to be exact.

Edited by nugundamII

Oh, man, I really have nothing to do in the office today ...

* Best/Worst Anime (film/TV series/OAV) - Film: Spirited Away (yeah, yeah, but it's just so pretty) / Series: GitS: Stand Alone Complex.

* Best/Worst SF (film/TV series) - Film: Serenity / TV Series: Farscape.

* Best/Worst SF Literary (Book/Short story/Comic) - Book: Probably something by Iain M. Banks Comic: Duh, 200AD, of course!

* Most annoying trend in Anime - Girly Men Lead Characters.

* Most annoying trend in SF - Too many cartoony CGI critters - make 'em look real or get some guys in rubber suits.

* Most Unnecessary *Remake - The Day the Earth Stood Still.

*Sequel Transformers (the second one - don't even know what it was called).

* Greatest addition to your toy/model/DVD collection - Model: four Tachikomas and an Uchikoma / DVD: the Complete Farscape.

* What is the piece of technology that you have now which was not available at the start of the decade that you cannot do without? Digital Camera.

* Best/Worst Band/Album/Live performance - Best Live Performance: Kodo Drummers (unless Japanese horseback archery counts?) wait, Iron maiden was good, but I had a crap seat.

* What do you think is going to be the most inaccurate SF prediction about life in 2010? There will be no more money! Well, it'll be accurate for my wallet, though ...

* Where do you think you will be at the end of next decade? Sitting in front of a computer (a much faster one, with a much better screen an' all, and in a really nice and warm country, but still ...).

* Complete the following sentence. "I will be much happier next decade if I inherit the rights to all of Marc Miller's writings." Hey, he's not getting any younger, you know ...