Reference pics from Macross M3...

chillyche

• 4 weeks later...

There's simply no images of what you ask AFAIK. They're not really even clearly shown in the game from what I recall and I played through the game entirely like 5 times to unlock everything. I have nearly every M3 article and scan that's ever been posted to MW over the years---and nada.

The lack of response isn't lack of caring---I just don't think anyone has what you need.

There's simply no images of what you ask AFAIK. They're not really even clearly shown in the game from what I recall and I played through the game entirely like 5 times to unlock everything. I have nearly every M3 article and scan that's ever been posted to MW over the years---and nada.

The lack of response isn't lack of caring---I just don't think anyone has what you need.

I figured as much.

I was going to post a picture of a ridiculous backpack that was obviously nothing like Macross as joke, but then I figured that wasn't worth it, when I could post something better. So tonight, I will post something better in a different thread. Oh... whatever shall it be?

Oh, and thanks, btw. Hearing it from somebody who has played through the game a bunch really confirms for me that there just isn't much reference from that game (and thus that time period) out there.

Yeah, I can vouch for the game, there isn't really a screenshot of the backpack, except maybe a few quick views that aren't direct shots of it. Perhaps searching through Flashback 2012, where Hikaru is piloting a VF-4, maybe there's a shot in there. If not, you may need to just modify the original, and kinda go by logical evolution of the design.

I'm looking specifically, for some images of the backpack worn by pilots in Macross M3. Does anybody have anything that could help?

While I can't offer you any image stock directly from Macross M3, I can possibly point you towards several other, very similar designs. By the look of things, the Macross M3 flightsuit is one of several variations on a design that Haruhiko Mikimoto originally created for Macross 2036 and Macross: Eternal Love Song back in 1991-1992. Other variations on the design appear (albeit briefly) in Macross 7 Trash and it looks like the redesigned DYRL flightsuit from Macross: the First may be in the same mold as well. Any of those should serve you pretty well.

The one thing Macross has shown (think I'm right on this) is that each colony, while they share many similar things, do develop their own variations of stuff. Macross F is a good example to some extent, i.e. laws, and fighter designs. Perhaps, if nothing found is a perfect match, to use something closest to that time period, and if it doesn't mesh with the design, perhaps redesigning a little bit to fit what you're looking for. I dunno, just suggestions.

The one thing Macross has shown (think I'm right on this) is that each colony, while they share many similar things, do develop their own variations of stuff. Macross F is a good example to some extent, i.e. laws, and fighter designs. Perhaps, if nothing found is a perfect match, to use something closest to that time period, and if it doesn't mesh with the design, perhaps redesigning a little bit to fit what you're looking for. I dunno, just suggestions.

Erm, I think that should be until Macross F, all designs were shared amongst all UN aligned forces (colonies, emigrant fleets, etc.), but some time between VF-X2 and MF, things switched to each colony, emigrant fleet, etc. creating their own derivative designs.

While I can't offer you any image stock directly from Macross M3, I can possibly point you towards several other, very similar designs. By the look of things, the Macross M3 flightsuit is one of several variations on a design that Haruhiko Mikimoto originally created for Macross 2036 and Macross: Eternal Love Song back in 1991-1992. Other variations on the design appear (albeit briefly) in Macross 7 Trash and it looks like the redesigned DYRL flightsuit from Macross: the First may be in the same mold as well. Any of those should serve you pretty well.

Hmm, I guess any shots of backpacks from the other series (besides DYRL, SDFM and M+, for which I have plenty of reference) would be welcome. If anybody has any of that stuff lying around, post it up here. It will eventually be a hybrid of the stuff that looks closest I assume. Either that or it will be the same as Ranka's backpack.

I feel like, ultimately, the design I'll go with will be a hybrid of the DYRL pack with some of the features that ARE visible on the M3 pack, such as vents higher on the sides, an overall smaller footprint, and the distinctive protrusion on the top. We'll see how the thing winds up looking with the rest of the suit. I'm pretty proud of my M+ pack, but I just don't feel like that's the right pack for this suit.