Eureka Seven in theaters

sharky

Just wanted to get the word out about another Fathom events anime screening. As the title mentions it's Eureka Seven and it's only going to be 1 night and 1 showing on Thursday Sept. 24th. Yet, another chance to see anime on the big screen. I'm making a plan to go.

http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Anime/EurekaSeven.aspx

If it's the Eureka Seven movie, don't waste your money. It was atrocious.

I'm so starved for any kind of anime on the big screen that I'll go see whatever is on. Isn't Eureka Seven supposed to have mecha designs from Kawamori? That's a plus in my book.

@ eugimon: I've never seen this movie, but I am also of the mindset that I need to make up my own mind.

I'm thinking of taking my 11 year old daughter (who likes Macross Frontier, Miyazaki's films, & other anime) to see it. The story does sound a bit shallow... But I wonder if she'd find it to be enjoyable?

Can anyone offer an opinion?

Yeah, Kawamori did design the mecha.

You could watch the series, it's so much more better. I didn't really like the movie because of the characters' behaviours, particularly one scene...

I really want to support Eureka Seven and other anime movies in theatres, but I got nothing from that movie... :( I may change my opinion though if I gave it another viewing...

Edited by shiroikaze

i didnt mind the E7 TV dub, is it the same cast?

Ill have to check this out when I get the chance. almost blown my DL limit this month though, so i guess Ill have to wait.

I thought it was pretty decent as well. Certainly could have been far worse.

I liked the movie, I liked that it's ambiguous and could be anything from a prequel to a reimagining and it works fine either way. Anyways, the pacing is decent, lots of action and pretty sold animation.

I'm thinking of taking my 11 year old daughter (who likes Macross Frontier, Miyazaki's films, & other anime) to see it. The story does sound a bit shallow... But I wonder if she'd find it to be enjoyable?

FYI, in case you didn't already know, Ponyo is playing in theaters right now. I'm planning on seeing it this weekend with my daughter. It's been out for a few weeks,so I need to go soon so I don't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...
If it's the Eureka Seven movie, don't waste your money. It was atrocious.

You tried to warn me, but did I listen? Noooo. Well you can tell me "I told you so" if you want.

Dub=pass <_<

Yeah, I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was subbed rather than dubbed. It wasn't so much the voice actors as I think they did a decent and professional job on it. It was the dialogue itself. It just didn't seem like natural English to me. To me, it felt like they were trying to make sure the words were translated as literally as possible, and they did it at the expense of sounding natural in English. So, that's why I feel this is another one of those things where a sub would be superior to the dub.

I think an 11 year old girl would like this movie as it has young love as the major plot element. There were a few scenes in particular where some girls in the audience went "awww".

I'm debating on seeing it. but it does have JOHNNY YONG BOSCH in it. But i heard the story wasn't too good.

I didn't really care for the story. I have not seen the TV series, but from the special behind the scenes feature they showed I have come to find out the story is quite different than the TV series. At times there seemed glimmers of hope that it could be good, but overall I wasn't impressed.

My favorite part of the whole experience was the end of the behind the scenes feature. Towards the end they showed outtakes of some of the dubbing. It was actually pretty funny and had everyone laughing.

What was very interesting was some clips of the interview with the director. He even admits that he felt the fans of the series would not like this movie. His excuse was that he wanted to make a movie that casual moviegoers would be able to walk in and enjoy without having any background in the series. That being the case, I would be his target audience then, but I really didn't like it. The director's other excuse was that you don't get many chances to make a movie, so he wanted to do something different from the TV series. My only problem with that is what he did end up doing was not very appealing to me. Not that I thought it was all that terrible. It all felt mediocre to me. It just didn't hold my interest or "wow" me in any way.

• 5 months later...