Interesting Video game tidbits.

Wanzerfan

I find it amusing what can be put in a video game.

One thing is how they name some enemies.

From Final Fantasy and some other games there is an enemy called Mandragora. After thumbing through a copy of Maciavelli's The Prince I found he made a work called The Mandragola. It seems they used Engrish to name the foe.

Are there any other tidbits out there? If so, please post them here.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I find it amusing what can be put in a video game.

One thing is how they name some enemies.

From Final Fantasy and some other games there is an enemy called Mandragora. After thumbing through a copy of Maciavelli's The Prince I found he made a work called The Mandragola. It seems they used Engrish to name the foe.

Are there any other tidbits out there? If so, please post them here.

Mandragola is good, but I believe Machiavelli's finest work is the Discourses on Livy. Much better than The Prince, and it probably represents Machiavelli's actual opinions on governance (unlike The Prince, which was basically a request).

EDIT: for consistency

Edited by Gubaba

Final Fantasy in general is sort of infamous for injecting names and stuff from other media:

- Wedge in the first chunk of FF7 is from a certain film called Star Wars.

- All the High Notorious Monsters in the FFXI MMO are based on actual literary creatures (Fafnir, Aspixxxxxx (I can't spell it sorry), Genbu, Suzaku, Kirin, etc). The summoned creatures as well, like Leviathan is obviously from the Biblical Leviathan. Also a Tengu appears in one of the expansions. No, he does not squirt acidic milk.

- Also some weapons in FFXI are based on real life stuff. The multi-hit great katana Soboro Sukehiro (oh man, it took me forever to get that) was an actual swordsmith, and the Gae Bolg is from the Irish epic Fate Stay Night I mean Cuculain. And yea, excalibur dur...

- Both Odin (from Norse mythology) and Gilgamesh (the old Sumerian tale) make multiple appearances in various games

-Tidus from FFX is based on drag-Dennis Rodman, hypothesized.

... I could go on and on

Wedge didn't first appear in FF7, either. He's been there since at least VI (though I saw an article saying he was there at least as far as IV, as a Redwing). Also, Wedge is also always with another character with a familiar name, Biggs. Though in the American release of FFVI they renamed Biggs as Vicks for some reason.

Throughout the series, several airships have been named the Enterprise and the Falcon. There was also an airship named the Nautilus.

That's because it was an MMORPG, those don't count!

Good point.... I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "game" either, it was more like a drug addiction for the 2 years that I played it :p . Though it had almost every aspect of classic FF - the airships, all the classic avatars (the summons), job classes, Gilgamesh and Odin.

Edited by Ghost Train