Podcast: Megazone 23 Part 1

Cool, thanks, I`ve been slowly going through and enjyoing all your podcasts over the last few months. Except for the Heavy Metal one. That was unlistenable because of that "Zuey" chick. Damn she`s annoying. She was only on there coz she`s the regular dude`s girlfriend right?

Edited by MilSpex

Cool, thanks, I`ve been slowly going through and enjyoing all your podcasts over the last few months. Except for the Heavy Metal one. That was unlistenable because of that "Zuey" chick. Damn she`s annoying. She was only on there coz she`s the regular dude`s girlfriend right?

By "the regular dude" you me mean and no she's not my girlfriend, nor has she ever been. Her boyfriend's never been on the podcast.

By "the regular dude" you me mean and no she's not my girlfriend, nor has she ever been. Her boyfriend's never been on the podcast.

Oh sorry, just that you both did the HM podcast from bed and I just assumed...

Great podcast. It's like listening to a bunch of friends give me a play-by-play of one of my alltime favorite OAV's. Except none of my friends are into this kinda stuff...which is a bummer.

Haha, well, Star and Betty aren't into this kind of stuff. I had to sell them on it. I sold them by talking about the '80s flashdance scenes and the bizarro sex scene!

Ginrai, you mention on the podcast that you would love to get more recommendations for anime that portrays teenagers fairly realistically. Check out the anime version of Starship Troopers. It's only like 7 episodes, so it's pretty short, more like a long movie, but there are definitely some interesting reactions, especially early on.

There's one scene that somehow stuck with me, where the mom gets mad at the son because he decided to join the military (in a fairly believable teenage way), and the dad calmly takes the son for a drive in the car to talk to him in private. The dad stops the car, giving the son some advice, and lights up a cigarette. The kid is shocked to realize his dad smokes, while it interestingly shows some insight into the dad.

Good podcast, glad that zooey wasn't there, she is kind of annoying

Jeremy- been loving the podcast since you started it. Congratulations on going this long. This podcast was a great return to form- funny but not slapdash. You had pointed critiques and succeeded in the most important way a podcast about anime can- you made me desperate to purchase Megazone 23. After Anime World Order and now you, I'll finally have to plunk down real money for it.

What's up with Andrew?- he hasn't been around as much. It was always fun to hear you bounce off his hardcore nerdiness.

And also, I know this is annoying, but I can't resist since 2 other posters have brought it up- that Zooey chick is podcast death.

Maybe you can get Hellbunny on the show!

Ginrai, you mention on the podcast that you would love to get more recommendations for anime that portrays teenagers fairly realistically. Check out the anime version of Starship Troopers. It's only like 7 episodes, so it's pretty short, more like a long movie, but there are definitely some interesting reactions, especially early on.

Yeah, we actually reviewed that nearly a year ago: http://www.collectiondx.com/blog_entry/des...ip_troopers_oav

There's one scene that somehow stuck with me, where the mom gets mad at the son because he decided to join the military (in a fairly believable teenage way), and the dad calmly takes the son for a drive in the car to talk to him in private. The dad stops the car, giving the son some advice, and lights up a cigarette. The kid is shocked to realize his dad smokes, while it interestingly shows some insight into the dad.

That was an interesting scene for sure. I also like the party on the beach. That was kind of realistic too. I guess the problem is Johnny in the anime is really super generic and doesn't really have any discernable character traits. I did like the kid with the headphones! What a way to go!

Do you have any other suggestions?

Edited by Ginrai

Jeremy- been loving the podcast since you started it. Congratulations on going this long. This podcast was a great return to form- funny but not slapdash. You had pointed critiques and succeeded in the most important way a podcast about anime can- you made me desperate to purchase Megazone 23. After Anime World Order and now you, I'll finally have to plunk down real money for it.

Cool, I'm glad you enjoyed it! You can get the ADV Megazone 23 complete collection sets (now in a regular single DVD case size) for pretty cheap. I've seen it for like 10 bucks at Fry's Electronics and places like that.

And also, I know this is annoying, but I can't resist since 2 other posters have brought it up- that Zooey chick is podcast death.

I get it. You all hate Zuey.

Maybe you can get Hellbunny on the show!

Yeah, Hellbunny is my ex-girlfriend. I was with her for six years and have not spoken to her in four years. Not happening.

It was a good review, but one thing I want to ask. Besides what you said on the previous podcast about it, was there really any particular reason why this OVA was chosen out of all the stuff in the 80s as the general starting point for Robotech: The Untold Story?

Edited by Einherjar

It was a good review, but one thing I want to ask. Besides what you said on the previous podcast about it, was there really any particular reason why this OVA was chosen out of all the stuff in the 80s as the general starting point for Robotech: The Untold Story?

Robotech Art 3 hints at it. Long story short: Mikimoto character designs and Hirano designs that are a very similar style match well with Macross, the mecha definitely resembles and is somewhat derivative of Macross (let's face it, the Garland is kind of a bike-Valkyrie -- even the head looks like a Valkyrie's head), directed by the director of SDF Macross and in a pretty similar style, and most importantly, Harmony Gold already had a license to use it.

You mentioned that BD's name is actually "Bad Dude"... Where is that confirmed? According to the Best Hit Series Megazone 23 book, he is a "Bloody Dandy". I know you have way more books than me so you should know, but I thought I should ask. Though, it doesn't even look like they were trying, as far as the name is concerned so maybe we shouldn't think so hard about it. Maybe it's Ben Dixon? :o

You mentioned that BD's name is actually "Bad Dude"... Where is that confirmed? According to the Best Hit Series Megazone 23 book, he is a "Bloody Dandy". I know you have way more books than me so you should know, but I thought I should ask. Though, it doesn't even look like they were trying, as far as the name is concerned so maybe we shouldn't think so hard about it. Maybe it's Ben Dixon? :o

It's probably one of those things that actually has multiple "real" meanings because no one ever agreed what it was. I don't remember which place specifically I got it from, but I'm planning to dig out all my books for the website soon and I will check it out. Sorry, been a while since I've had everything out of my closet! The Best Hit Series Megazone 23 book also has a totally bizarre scenario for the Megazone world after part 1 that is completely incompatible with Megazone 23 Part-II.

I've been trying to download this Podcast for like two weeks it keeps dropping out. Not sure why I usually have no problem. Got 15min into it before it cut off. Maybe it because I'm in Japan.

I've been trying to download this Podcast for like two weeks it keeps dropping out. Not sure why I usually have no problem. Got 15min into it before it cut off. Maybe it because I'm in Japan.

I dunno dude, it works fine for me at home and at work. If you want I can try tossing it up on megaupload or something.

I grab it right off of the CollectionDX site, and haven't had any problems. (Finally digging into earlier 'casts, like Arcadia and Votoms. The show really fills out my 50-minute commute home nicely...!)