THE UN-OFFICIAL COLOR SCHEME THREAD

WOW!!! I am jealous. lol I cant draw that good even on paper!. rofl

The last designs are based on model's image download the internet and I do Flash and Corel Draw by make then. I don't draw on paper on years.

Edited by joseph

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I was working on a scheme for my SV-51 RC job, and experimentally came up with this... If you're hoping for a story behind the USAF markings, I have to disappoint, there isn't one, except 'I like it that way.' :rolleyes: No squadron/pilot markings yet, though I may change that.

All the same, I thought it came out good enough to post here, so...

~Luke

<Edit> Changed the canopy a bit.

post-3133-1128696720_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

I've been lurking around here for the past couple of weeks doing research for a Macross Group Build over on the Fine Scale Modeler boards. I'm going to build a VF-0S, a VF-19A and a VF-22S and I'm trying to nail down a color scheme for my Strumvogel and Excalibur and I found this thread which has been very helpful. I'm thinking of using Compass Ghost Gray colors in the US Navy's Gull Gray scheme for my VF-19 and in markings of SVF-96 Fighting Falcons. No idea on my Strumvogel yet.

The VF-21/22 top view is very useful; is there a side and bottom view to go with it?

I've seen some VF-19F/S side views, but now VF-19A sides or tops, so unless someone has any objection or there's one around here that I missed, I'll crank out a VF-19A Plan view to share

Wow. That looks even better than I thought it would. You sir, are the king. I can't wait to show that to the rest of the Cobras back on Macross2.net and see what they think.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Trigger--what's the bottom scheme based on?  I clearly recognize F-15 Mod Eagle and F-16 two-tone, but I like the bottom the best and can't identify if it's based on anything.

PS---YF-21 side view:

348277[/snapback]

It's based on the US Navy's Gull Gray scheme of the 1960s & 70s. The undersides and control surfaces of their aircraft (A-4, A-6, A-7, F-4, F-8 & F-14) were painted white and everything else was finished in gloss Gull Gray. What I did was replace with white with Light Ghost Gray and the Gull Gray with Dark Ghost Gray.

The squadron markings are for SVF-96 "Fighting Falcons" CAG aircraft. However, since Randy Cunningham's admission of taking bribes, I just don't have the heart to pursue a "Fighting Falcons" Excalibur (VF-96 was the unit he flew in in Vietnam). A buddy of mine is already planning on finishing his VF-19A in SVF-32 "Swordsmen" markings so I may go with an SVF-111 "Sundowners" scheme instead.

The other schemes are (in order of appearance):

1. "European 1" (the color variation worn by A-10 in 1980s) - A good scheme for when the mecha is in Batteroid or Gerwalk mode on the ground.

2. "Ghost" (worn by Royal Singapore Air Force F-5s)

3. "Mod Excalibur" (version of the F-15 Mod Eagle scheme)

4. "Project Hill" (worn by F-16s and USAF F-4s)

5. "SEA Scheme" (Vietnam-era USAF aircraft.) A regional scheme that's very effective for when the mecha is in batteroid or Gerwalk mode on the ground.

I've got some other schemes in mind, but I just haven't had the time to sketch them out yet.

Oh, BTW - do you have a larger (higher res) YF-21 side view?

Thanks,

Trigger

The light/dark ghost grey totally messed me up---since that is in itself the most common scheme of all----I never even noticed the pattern was like 60's/70's USN. (Though the leading edges of the wings also messed me up---those were never white, only trailing control surfaces were white)

I recognized Euro 1 of course, and I knew the second was an F-5 but not exactly which (there's SO many that are SO similar).

PS---the Sundowners are my fave squadron of all.

PPS---that's the only YF-21 sideview I have--it's from MW, about 4 boards ago. :)

Edited by David Hingtgen

The light/dark ghost grey totally messed me up---since that is in itself the most common scheme of all----I never even noticed the pattern was like 60's/70's USN.  (Though the leading edges of the wings also messed me up---those were never white, only trailing control surfaces were white) 

I recognized Euro 1 of course, and I knew the second was an F-5 but not exactly which (there's SO many that are SO similar). 

PS---the Sundowners are my fave squadron of all.

PPS---that's the only YF-21 sideview I have--it's from MW, about 4 boards ago.  :)

348772[/snapback]

Yeah, I applied the LGG on the control surfaces liberally, that way it references the F-15 Compass Ghost Gray scheme. Sort of a new twist on an old scheme to freshen it up a bit.

Here's the SVF-32 scheme I've been messing with: VF-19_SVF-32_GL.jpg

Sundowners... I'm already thinking of art for the "beaver tail" shield

Edited by Trigger

hello everyone....

i send you my work on the VF-19F/S blank done be hello hikaru and jedi knight using the fabulous tutorial made by

to her your opinion.... on my work on the shades (mostly on the wing shade), i'll hope to read some good feed back and critics my work all that you like...

PD sorry for my bad english... it's not my natural languaje...

post-1392-1133789540_thumb.jpg

Dark VF-2

347488[/snapback]

Actually, since the VF-2SS is a space superiority fighter, the black paint scheme is the actualy low-vis version... Very COOL! ;)

Edited by Zinjo

Dark VF-2

347488[/snapback]

Actually, since the VF-2SS is a space superiority fighter, the black paint scheme is the actualy low-vis version... Very COOL! ;)

349751[/snapback]

Yeah, that was what I was thinking when I made the black-on-black cobra paint scheme. Followed the principle that since grey is used to make a fighter blend in with the clouds, and space tends to be a flat, black, empty expanse, the most logical low-vis paint scheme would as much black as possible. I've got a low-vis paint scheme set for the other Macross II fighters I'll be posting in this post later once my network drive is online again.

Love the Sundowners plane---especially like how the sun's incorporated on the shield.

349924[/snapback]

Thanks. I'm trying to convince a buddy over on the FSM GB that a CAG aircraft would likely carry artwork on the shield. He thought the beaver tail between the engines folded up onto the batteroid's back like the VF-1s tail did. Got a couple more schemes to wrap up before I start on VF-22 schemes

hello everyone....

i send you my work on the VF-19F/S blank done be hello hikaru and jedi knight using the fabulous tutorial made by

to her your opinion.... on my work on the shades (mostly on the wing shade), i'll hope to read some good feed back and critics my work all that you like...

PD sorry for my bad english... it's not my natural languaje...

349689[/snapback]

Hi amegari_hikaru

Glad to see someone putting our VF-19F/S blank to use. Your shading looks fine. Now let us see the coloured up version :p