The hidden jewel

Name the Anime that is amazing, a fantastic piece of art, but was not obtain succes becouse is undetected, rivaled with others Animes, shadowed by others Animes, marginalized for fans or whatever else thing.

I´ll start:

Sword of the Stranger, this is a Anime movie, not aimed to the mass or TV show, so is unknow.

But The film is a fantastic piece of art and was submitted as an entry for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars awards.

Name the Anime that is amazing, a fantastic piece of art, but was not obtain succes becouse is undetected, rivaled with others Animes, shadowed by others Animes, marginalized for fans or whatever else thing.

I´ll start:

Sword of the Stranger, this is a Anime movie, not aimed to the mass or TV show, so is unknow.

But The film is a fantastic piece of art and was submitted as an entry for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars awards.

...how is that unknown? I got a special one-night showing awhile back, we had a thread about it. Probably why it qualifed for the Oscars.

...how is that unknown? I got a special one-night showing awhile back, we had a thread about it. Probably why it qualifed for the Oscars.

it is not well known here, I understand that if other sites

It is just an start, but I´ll think in other Anime :rolleyes: :

Ergo Proxy

Edited by SVF-Gerwalk

Windaria - a rather black fairytale, although good luck finding a version that isn't censored.

Plague Dogs, a bit like its precursor Watership Down, but it wasn't as successful, and again - good luck finding an uncensored version.

These are great animes/cartoons but not for children and they are mostly rather bleak.

Kino's Journey - very interesting, subdued tone. Interesting characters.

Betterman - Weird, weird... Like HP Lovecraft meets Ultraman. Even starts with a sort of "you may think I'm mad..." moment.

I remember Windaria. It was a little cliche though. Pretty good for an old anime throwback.

Seto no hanayome and Muteki Kanban Musume for amazing modern comedies that went relatively unnoticed.

haha. Wes is kinda right... I've heard of most of those and I'm not that big on watching anime... it's just another suggest a show to watch thread. Anime is so overflooded with crap, there's a good chance that if it's good then most people that are fans will hear about it.

I remember Windaria. It was a little cliche though. Pretty good for an old anime throwback.

Seto no hanayome and Muteki Kanban Musume for amazing modern comedies that went relatively unnoticed.

Umm I lost Seto no hanayome.

Seto no hanayome is the sequel of My Bride is a Mermaid, is worth My Bride is a Mermaid ?

Dunno about Seta no Hayanome, but Muteki Kanban Musume (Ramen Fighter Miki) is comedy gold with little to no fanservice despite the attractive character design. One of few non-mecha series that I watch till the end.

Was hoping for a 2nd season (since there is no real resolution), but now I guess it's fine as it is.

REC: romance between an office worker and a seiyu.

Il était une fois l'Espace: some of the most beautiful space ship designs I've ever seen and a great opening song.

The mecha series that needs more love is...Metal Armor Dragonar

It was not inventive or new, but it sure was a damn fun ride. The Opening was also top-notch.

For me, it was all about the second opening...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zABrITb2nKQ...feature=related

I never really got into the show, mostly because the older kids I got my anime tapes from didn't really dig it, so I only managed to grab an episode here and there.

I couldn't afford to get anime soundtracks very often back then, but my dad had hooked up the stereo to the TV, so I made tons of mix tapes of anime theme songs, and the second Dragonar opening was one that I listened to over and over. I finally picked up the CD single in a bargain bin a few years ago.

But speaking of possibly obscure animes and theme music, what about

...?

I never really got into the show, mostly because the older kids I got my anime tapes from didn't really dig it, so I only managed to grab an episode here and there.

I couldn't afford to get anime soundtracks very often back then, but my dad had hooked up the stereo to the TV, so I made tons of mix tapes of anime theme songs, and the second Dragonar opening was one that I listened to over and over. I finally picked up the CD single in a bargain bin a few years ago.

...?

Starlight Senerade is good and all, but I can't get enough of CHASER! DEAD HEAT! CHASER! DEAD HEAD!!!

And yeah, LOVE Survivor is a classic as well.

Starlight Senerade is good and all, but I can't get enough of CHASER! DEAD HEAT! CHASER! DEAD HEAD!!!

Well, I guess I can't win against such Engrish-y goodness, can I?

Although I'll counter it with the Baxinger Ending:

Does the J9 Trilogy count as a hidden gem...? I saw most of Baxinger (J-9 II) in Spanish as "Gladiadores del Espacio." I understood very little of it, but I loved it nonetheless. I've always wanted to go back and watch the whole trilogy in Japanese, but it doesn't seem to be available on the net, and I'm loathe to buy the DVDs to see a series that probably wasn't very good (in retrospect, of course).

Well, I guess I can't win against such Engrish-y goodness, can I?

Although I'll counter it with the Baxinger Ending:

Does the J9 Trilogy count as a hidden gem...? I saw most of Baxinger (J-9 II) in Spanish as "Gladiadores del Espacio." I understood very little of it, but I loved it nonetheless. I've always wanted to go back and watch the whole trilogy in Japanese, but it doesn't seem to be available on the net, and I'm loathe to buy the DVDs to see a series that probably wasn't very good (in retrospect, of course).

BURAIGAR!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF-1peg4HcI

Unfortunately, out of the J9 series, I only know and love the Galaxy Cyclone Braiger by playing the translated version of Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden.

The overall plot, the characters and the villain (KHAMEN KHAMEN) really hook me. Too bad, only the first episode is getting subbed (recently).

Oh well, there's still more hidden gems like Heavy Metal L-Gaim, Combat Robot Xabungle (which is getting subbed now) and older Ryousuke Takahashi stuffs (Dougram, SPT Blue Comet Layzner) if we're going that far into classic mecha anime.

...?

And yeah, LOVE Survivor is a classic as well.

Over the top 80s anime songs ^_^ Like a greasy snack you shouldn't touch.... But it's SO GOOD!! :lol: