Podcast: Highlander: The Search for Vengeance

Ginrai

I think if it were a stand-alone movie, people would think it was an ok anime, nothing special.

Because it is part of the Highlander franchise, some may not consider it anime.

Because it is part of the Highlander franchise, it absolutely shines compared to some of the live-action movies (and I love the franchise, but some of it has just been AWFUL).

After the first movie, the anime was the best in the franchise.

Although I did kinda dig Endgame...mostly for its Donnie Yen fight scenes. But that whole "sit there while your friends are getting decapped and do nothing when you're up next" thing kinda ruined it for me.

This is definitely the best Highlander aside from the original movie, if you ask me. Endgame really bothered me. Both Conor and Duncan were written way out of character. Duncan murdering his wife on their wedding night so she could be immortal with him is idiotic, and Conor just moping around and being useless is also terrible and not at all like the dude we saw in three movies (two of them awful, I admit).

As far as anime goes, this may not be anything unusual or too special by the standards of the 1980's, but by the standards of NOW, it's awesome that there's more anime like this coming out. The vast majority of anime these days is terrible niche moe puke and this really harkens back to the days of, well, Wicked City, Ninja Scroll, and other super violent, sexy, bizarre Japanese action cartoons. If this came out in the 80's it wouldn't be super notable, but it's notable for being a new anime in that vein. And hey, it's pretty enjoyable.

It's definitely a dumb action movie, but they don't really make 'em like this anymore, you know what I mean?

Edited by Ginrai

Especially given the nature of the original movie, everything else should have been a prequel....

Yeah, agreed. The first movie has a perfect ending and it's clearly the finish of the story. Every attempt to continue it is stupid, as Highlander 2 neatly proves.

Well, it IS a Gregory Widen movie. He tends to write his with pretty clear endings, and then other people screw them up trying to make sequels.

Look at how great The Prophecy was. Then look at how terrible the sequels were.

The producers of every other Highlander film should've followed the first film's tag line:

There Can Be Only One

If only. Still, Search for Vegeance is better than the rest of the sequels, and fun, and is removed enough that it could be in its own little world where there is no Conor or Kurgen or anything.

If only. Still, Search for Vegeance is better than the rest of the sequels, and fun, and is removed enough that it could be in its own little world where there is no Conor or Kurgen or anything.

That's how I viewed it, and thus enjoyed it.

Though why someone would want to live in a world without The Kurgen... well, I just don't get it.