1/48 shipping questions

optimator88

I'm moving soon and need to sell most of my 1/48s.

I see most people charge around $20 for shipping. Does that include the packaging?

How do you ship them? Do you just take them to UPS?

I didn't see boxes at the post office that looked to be the right size.

And I don't have any proper size boxes just lying around the house.

I've sold one 1/48 on here and I just happened to have the perfect box that time.

I realize I could just take one down to UPS and ask them for an estimate, but I thought someone here might be able to save me a trip, or help someone else save on shipping.

Thanks!

$20 is the standard if your getting them from Hong Kong or Japan. In fact they tend to charge $20 no matter what the size is. First find a good box. If there is realistic expense involved with finding the box. Charge them for it. Take it to shipper and get a quote. Combine that quote with the Box and give it to the buyer. It may cost $20 or less. If the seller is in the same country as I am, I would expect to pay less in shipping than I would pay for across the globe. If you are matching or charging more than international sellers that better be one nice box.

Here's a tip. Nearly every place of business has an area to receive packages. Go to that room at your work. There is likely to be several boxes ready for the trash/recycling. Ask if they would mind if you take a box.

I have shipped numerous 1/48 Yammies from Hong Kong to the States and basically there are couple of prices, air parcel or EMS, both offers tracking and are calculated by weight (with an increasement of every 500gms).

To ship a 1/48 from Hong Kong to the States via air parcel will set one back around $20-40, depending on valk and method of packing. The most inexpensive way to pack and ship is to wrap the Yammie box with bubble wrap & an outer paper shell. For those who want to have their Yammie boxes in pristine conditions, one will need to pack the Yammie box in a bigger box for shipping. This is safer but also more costly.

Back to shipping boxes, well you can buy them at stationary shops or post office but you can also get recycled ones found at most retail shops, supermarket is a good place to go!

I have shipped numerous 1/48 Yammies from Hong Kong to the States and basically there are couple of prices, air parcel or EMS, both offers tracking and are calculated by weight (with an increasement of every 500gms).

To ship a 1/48 from Hong Kong to the States via air parcel will set one back around $20-40, depending on valk and method of packing. The most inexpensive way to pack and ship is to wrap the Yammie box with bubble wrap & an outer paper shell. For those who want to have their Yammie boxes in pristine conditions, one will need to pack the Yammie box in a bigger box for shipping. This is safer but also more costly.

Back to shipping boxes, well you can buy them at stationary shops or post office but you can also get recycled ones found at most retail shops, supermarket is a good place to go!

I would also check with a mail service. I have shipped them within the U.S. using DHL for less than $15 plus an additionaal $2.50 - $3.50 for packing materials. The company packs the item and secures it either peanuts or some other form of protection to prevent damage to the packed item.

With the 1/48s I've sold, along with any other toy that comes in a stupidly huge box, I like to give the buyer the option of taking it without the box for much cheaper shipping.

That's what I did when I sold off my 1/48s. It's seriously much easier for both the seller [less worries about the huge box] and the buyer [less shipping charges, less chance it'll get held at customs if international]

Thanks for the advice.

If only I had a job to steal boxes from :mellow:

Yeah, I can always find boxes at my work. Usually, it's just from stuff that people receive in the office area up front.

I can understand that the standard boxes at UPS, FedEx, or the USPS are not big enough for a 1/48 valk. Since I tend to order online throughout the year I'm a bit of a pack rat, and I save the boxes my stuff comes in. If you must buy a box, you can always go to Home Depot, Lowes, or a self-storage place. Basically, anywhere that may have moving supplies like a U-haul or Penske location as well.

Just make sure to get one with extra space to put packing material for protection since most of the moving boxes tend to be a little on the thin side. One thing to keep in mind is to not get one that is too big. The USPS charged me an oversize fee on top of the regular shipping fee simply because the box was big. IMO the box wasn't even all that big by UPS or FedEx standards. UPS or FedEx would not have considered my box oversized.

Edit: I should point out that I shipped a 1/48 and a Strike/Super parts set together. But, my advice still holds true if you go overboard on the box size regardless

Edited by sharky

I just weighed a 1/48 in a shipping box and it was about 4lbs and 4 oz. That's without packing material though, but the way the USPS works it should be the same price up to 5lbs I believe. You can go to USPS.com and use that weight with their calculate postage link to figure out shipping.