Removing paint from 1/48 heatshield

Rabidweezil

As soon as I get my 1/48 Hikaru I plan on replacing my red heatshield with a black one..

But since I cannot seem to find anyone wanting to sell one, repainting it is quickly becoming the only option

So anyone have any ideas how to go about stripping the paint from the underside while leaving the skull in tact and the plastic undamaged?

Much obliged

James

have you tried paint thinner

Paint thinner doesn't work in this case. It will ruin the heatsheld.

My way was.......

The fastest and easiest way to remove the paint from the heatsheld is, dip it in Brake Fluid (yes, car brake fluid). But DO NOT DIP IT TOO LONG, should be no more then 15 minutes. Then use a paint brush and lightly brush off the paints while the heatsheld's in the break fluid container. After 10 minutes, start brushing lightly.

Steps to follow:

1) Tape the heatsheld on the side of the white skull entirely. Try to find the kind of tape that is use for water tight or oil resistant. I've used 3m tape, but I put lots of layer. I'd put it on almost 2mm thick, make sure to rub it on good so no bubble appear. The thicker the better, so the oil won't get to the skull side.

2) Get yourself a small bottle of brake fluid and dump it into a little container (deep enough to cover the entire heatsheld).

3) Place the taped heatsheld into the container. Set your stopwatch, make sure you keep a close watch. It's best to do it outdoor.

4)After 5-10 minutes, start brushing lightly.

5) After 15 minutes or after the paint is off (which ever is first) clean the heatsheld with water and soap. If you keep it any longer, the heatsheld start to cracks and become soft. I've found out the hard way.

That's what I've done with my custom 1/48 Kakizaki. ;)

have you tried paint thinner

Paint thinner doesn't work in this case. It will ruin the heatsheld.

My way was.......

The fastest and easiest way to remove the paint from the heatsheld is, dip it in Brake Fluid (yes, car brake fluid). But DO NOT DIP IT TOO LONG, should be no more then 15 minutes. Then use a paint brush and lightly brush off the paints while the heatsheld's in the break fluid container. After 10 minutes, start brushing lightly.

Steps to follow:

1) Tape the heatsheld on the side of the white skull entirely. Try to find the kind of tape that is use for water tight or oil resistant. I've used 3m tape, but I put lots of layer. I'd put it on almost 2mm thick, make sure to rub it on good so no bubble appear. The thicker the better, so the oil won't get to the skull side.

2) Get yourself a small bottle of brake fluid and dump it into a little container (deep enough to cover the entire heatsheld).

3) Place the taped heatsheld into the container. Set your stopwatch, make sure you keep a close watch. It's best to do it outdoor.

4)After 5-10 minutes, start brushing lightly.

5) After 15 minutes or after the paint is off (which ever is first) clean the heatsheld with water and soap. If you keep it any longer, the heatsheld start to cracks and become soft. I've found out the hard way.

That's what I've done with my custom 1/48 Kakizaki. ;)

Thanks alot..I'll give it a try :D

• 2 years later...

*This thread should be moved to the model/toy customizing section*

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone come up with a better way to remove the paint from the heatshield? Skull-001's instructions are a bit confusing, as I thought the skull was tampo-printed to the underside of the heatshield, and then painted over. Is the tape just meant to protect the glossy surface of the outside?

Edited by ghostryder

Toonz

Okay, found a local source. Do you recommend soaking the whole piece in thinner, or rubbing with a cloth/swab?

Thanks

i use mr.color thinner to remove the paint to do my kakizaki.  took me a while to remove it but it works out fine.

355595[/snapback]

355621[/snapback]

no no...DO NOT soak otherwise it's byebye heatshield. simply use a cloth and some great patience....you'll soon get there :)

If you are a newb at modeling, DO NOT USE BRAKE FLUID or THINNER on your heatshield! That will eat the plastic and either warp it, make it brittle or a combination of both plus, its not safe to get that stuff on your skin for too long.

The best trick was using Haterist's idea:

Buy some brass / metal polish. Its almost like toothpaste consistancy.

Take a piece of masking tape and tape the front so you don't scratch it by accident.

Then take a clean cotton rag, dip it into the metal polish and apply it to the back side of the heatshield. Start rubbing. It should start to come off but don't rub TOO hard or you'll cut the finish on the bottom leaving streaks. Just keep at it until it is clear of paint.

After that, clean it off with soap and water. Paint the backside and let it dry for 24 hours before touching it again.

I have a ruined heatshield here from using brake / engine degreaser that would make a great damaged valkyrie custom though. :D

The best trick was using Haterist's idea:

Buy some brass / metal polish. Its almost like toothpaste consistancy.

356136[/snapback]

sorry to be posting here, but this is the first time i've been referenced on this site. :D

the stuff i used is called "Brasso". its only $3 and you should be able to find it in any hardware store.