I stink at it but it's still lots of fun

Vifam7

After building a few Gundam kits, I decided try my hand at a Macross kit that requires some bit of work. But I didn't want to yet ruin a Hasegawa kit. :) So I went the safest route. A real cheap $5 1/100 Arii VF-1J battroid.

I still don't have confidence to paint the whole thing so I cheated by using the given plastic color. All I did was paint a few places here and there then applied clear flat. ^^;

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

Looks okay from afar but when you get closer you see this [kyaaa~]

IMG_0704.jpg

I'm also still learning how to take better pics with my camera. ^^;

Hey, we all had to start somewhere. :)

At least you have the right mindset about this, being willing to notice the minor flaws and knowing the areas where you need to improve. Sometimes it's good that we become our own worst critics. It helps us to become better.

Good choice on starting with the small scale too. The tricks and techniques you hone working on these small details will help you when you move up to the bigger scaled items.

From my own experience, the one thing you'll have to watch out for when you move up to the bigger scales is leaving obvious brushstroke marks when you paint slightly larger areas.

Keep at it and keep us posted on your future projects!

Edited by Mog

Yes, you do have to start somewhere so don't sweat it! Some tips in areas I've seen that will help you (NOT criticism):

Sanding two pieced halves (when flat) lightly on a piece of sandpaper glued to a flat surface will make your parts fit together better with smaller gaps and seems. If you hate filling seems (like we all do) this will limit them.

For masking painted areas, get some Tamiya masking tape (IT DOES matter) or some clear tape that won't leave gum behind when peeled back (need to test on that one. It depends on tape and paint type).

I usually build without painting the whole thing WHEN possible. I just use a closely colored paint to cover seems and simulate what would be "dirt." Lo budget and easy!

You're model shows you're doing fine and you have the skills. Keep up the good work! - MT

Thank you all for the kind words.

There's room for me to improve my skills but I don't think I'll ever reach the god-like skills of some of the folks here at MW. Not a perfectionist and I'm too much of a lazy ass. :D

MechTech, thanks for the tip regarding seamline removal. Sounds like a good idea. What grit sandpaper should I use? A high grit or low grit sandpaper?

Yes, I too hate dealing with seamlines and sanding endlessly. But then that's all part of modeling. :lol:

At least you managed to glue all the bits in the right places, thats more than I did one my first few model kits.

You will be suprised how quickly your skills come on, they almost sneak up on you.

Nicely done, Vifam7! A classic kit done in a classic fashion! You've done the same build - in the same fashion - that countless Macross fans have done since the show's earliest days.

Welcome to the "Macross Modelling World"!

At least you managed to glue all the bits in the right places, thats more than I did one my first few model kits.

Hey I ruined 4 Gundam kits before I finally made one that was decent. Those 4 are now in my parts box. In fact, I used the hands from one of ruined 1/144 kits on this build. :D

This Valk is only my 4th successful build. ^_^;

Nicely done, Vifam7! A classic kit done in a classic fashion! You've done the same build - in the same fashion - that countless Macross fans have done since the show's earliest days.

Welcome to the "Macross Modelling World"!

Since my place won't allow for airbrush use, all of my builds will likely be done the classic way. :) Brushpainting and the occaisional spraycan. :D

nice attempt on the arii kit.....model making takes soo much time and patience....and as of now i dont have the luxury of time....as much as i wanted to finish some of my projects...i really cant find time between family n hobby!!!

anyway like other said it b4 we all have to start somewhere.....just take a look at the seams/gaps and also u really need masking tapes....tamiya is a good brand....if can get a good airbrush...it will sure make a whole lot of difference......have fun n enjoy what ur doing.....or else youll get frustrated and end up finishing nothing!!!