Podcast: Macross Dynamite 7

VF5SS

Good points overall...I think MD7 gets a lot of short shrift in the fandom, because it (like Mac0) is primarily about nature (which of course includes death).

Oh, and I can explain the Mylene Beat stuff...Mylene's getting annoyed because she feels like she's in Basara's shadow, and then she joins the Jamming Birds girls to form a side band called Jamming Angels, who are of course managed by Sazapi (AKA Evil Lesbo Rapist). Sazpi's working with Colonel Barton to create a new EVIL Series (or revive one that that they found...I'm not really clear on that part; I've skimmed the manga, I haven't sat down with a dictionary and really READ it. At any rate, at the story's beginning, it's an embryo...and it grows throughout the story). As Mylene's trying to decide whether to stay with the Jamming Angels or not, Basara leaves for Zola, so she stays singing with them. Sazapi does the classic "separate the victim from her friends" move, so that Ray and Veffidas aren't around much. Sazapi is also planning on using Mylene's Song Energy to awaken the EVIL, at the attempted rape is really an attempt to throw Mylene into such distress that it will wake up the EVIL (which at this point looks like a giant dragon).

As Ray and Veffidas arrive to save Mylene, her mental energy does indeed wake the EVIL, which is now bonded to her psychically. It breaks its bonds, flies to City 7, and destroys Sazapi's place. Mylene talks to it for a while, and then it says goodbye and flies off to explore the galaxy.

Oh, and Colonel Barton shoots Dr. Chiba at one point but doesn't kill him, to the disappointment of many, I'm sure.

I have to say though, I'm not sure if Mylene Beat is really supposed to have "happened," or if it's an alternate version of the story. The manga artist is very clever in the way she works around in the Dynamite 7 story (think of the way Back to the Future Part II worked its way around Part I, contradicting nothing, but adding another story layer to it). Ray asks about the EVIL just before the "Ha Ha Ha, you really learned a lesson" conversation, and EVIL talks to Mylene immediately after that scene. And while the implication in the anime is that Veffidas wrecked Sazapi's space-age bachelorette pad, it could just as easily have been the EVIL. As I said, nothing contradicts Dynamite 7...it just seems strange that all of this big stuff was going on, but in the anime, none of the Fire Bomber Members act like anything out of the ordinary is going on.

Good points overall...I think MD7 gets a lot of short shrift in the fandom, because it (like Mac0) is primarily about nature (which of course includes death).

Oh, and I can explain the Mylene Beat stuff...Mylene's getting annoyed because she feels like she's in Basara's shadow, and then she joins the Jamming Birds girls to form a side band called Jamming Angels, who are of course managed by Sazapi (AKA Evil Lesbo Rapist). Sazpi's working with Colonel Barton to create a new EVIL Series (or revive one that that they found...I'm not really clear on that part; I've skimmed the manga, I haven't sat down with a dictionary and really READ it. At any rate, at the story's beginning, it's an embryo...and it grows throughout the story). As Mylene's trying to decide whether to stay with the Jamming Angels or not, Basara leaves for Zola, so she stays singing with them. Sazapi does the classic "separate the victim from her friends" move, so that Ray and Veffidas aren't around much. Sazapi is also planning on using Mylene's Song Energy to awaken the EVIL, at the attempted rape is really an attempt to throw Mylene into such distress that it will wake up the EVIL (which at this point looks like a giant dragon).

As Ray and Veffidas arrive to save Mylene, her mental energy does indeed wake the EVIL, which is now bonded to her psychically. It breaks its bonds, flies to City 7, and destroys Sazapi's place. Mylene talks to it for a while, and then it says goodbye and flies off to explore the galaxy.

Oh, and Colonel Barton shoots Dr. Chiba at one point but doesn't kill him, to the disappointment of many, I'm sure.

I have to say though, I'm not sure if Mylene Beat is really supposed to have "happened," or if it's an alternate version of the story. The manga artist is very clever in the way she works around in the Dynamite 7 story (think of the way Back to the Future Part II worked its way around Part I, contradicting nothing, but adding another story layer to it). Ray asks about the EVIL just before the "Ha Ha Ha, you really learned a lesson" conversation, and EVIL talks to Mylene immediately after that scene. And while the implication in the anime is that Veffidas wrecked Sazapi's space-age bachelorette pad, it could just as easily have been the EVIL. As I said, nothing contradicts Dynamite 7...it just seems strange that all of this big stuff was going on, but in the anime, none of the Fire Bomber Members act like anything out of the ordinary is going on.

Very interesting, I was a little curious about the story of Mylene being involving in something else but I just assumed she was trying to do her own thing and ended up nearly getting lesbian raped by a sicko.

And when you are saying Dr. Chiba doesn't die to the disappointment of many are you being sarcastic? I kind of like his character, he can be funny. I always knew Colonal Barton was a bad egg. I wonder why they wanted to create an EVIL, after all the problems they caused (granted the EVILs never did much before they were taken over by inter-dimensional space vampires).

All in all I liked D7, it was interesting. However I seem to be able to like Macross 7 as a whole easier than most people. Helps to like the music I guess but I also understand the point and power of the music (Basara would probably be ok with me). I thought the scene where he sings to the whales and they sing back at the end was cool.

Edited by Master Dex

I really enjoyed the podcast, guys! My wife got me an Ipod Nano G3 - my first ever ipod - and this was my first real travelling podcast listen with my virgin hardware. :) Perfect length for my commute home, and sounded quite nice over my car's speakers.

I've only seen part 1 of Dynamite. I enjoyed it - in so far as it gave a good look at another part of the Macross universe. Basara was the least-appealing part of the episode... Like taking a trip someplace really cool with someone you don't really care to carpool with. (Which is how I feel about most of Mac7.)

But - Good work, guys. You've motivated me to get the rest of it and make myself a nice little DVD to watch with my kids.

Edited by AcroRay

I always knew Colonal Barton was a bad egg. I wonder why they wanted to create an EVIL, after all the problems they caused (granted the EVILs never did much before they were taken over by inter-dimensional space vampires).

Sucks for Max getting two insubordinate Colonels in his fleet.

One is Bacelon while the other is Barton.

In Bacelon's case was while contact with humanity reawakened forgotten emotions in the Zentradi it made them weak with the peace loving thing in his eyes.

He wanted a war based culture making his people stronger using the tech he got from Protodevlin spies.

Barton's thing was the military should be supreme over civilians. That is why he hates Basara to the point he willingly endangered Macross 7.

We see this attitude with UN Spacy Commander Wilbur Garland in VF-X2

That is why we see the set up of New UN Spacy in Macross Frontier.

Low morale and the effects of peace time lead to the military's pathetic state.

But that didn't stop Leon from following their footsteps.

Edited by RedWolf

@Gubaba: Was Barton in Macross 7 proper? I don't remember that character. Also, is there a fan translation of Mylene Beat around or was I hallucinating that?

@Acroray: Glad you enjoyed the podcast! I hope you do check out the rest of Dynamite 7 and enjoy it. Basara is certainly kind of a douche, but he's a rock star douche, and he sure hits those notes correctly! I do really like how the Macross universe gets expanded in these little side stories.

@RedWolf: Well, all of that stuff is just to provide villains to fight. It's less about the state of UN Spacy and more about the need to generate stories.

@DJ Convoy: Haha, yeah, maybe you just don't like drooly space monsters.

@Scream Man: They WERE on iTunes. I have no idea what iTunes' problem is. For some reason it only retains ten episodes and I don't know why. You can certainly get the old episodes on www.destroyallpodcastsdx.com.

@Gubaba: Was Barton in Macross 7 proper? I don't remember that character. Also, is there a fan translation of Mylene Beat around or was I hallucinating that?

Barton was the stuffy colonel who hated Basara and championed the Jamming Birds. You'll probably remember the (pretty funny) scenes of him trying to train them.

As for a translation of Mylene Beat, I've certainly never seen one. I've never even even seen scans until quite recently, when macrosshare uploaded the Chinese version. I had to track down the book itself to find out what it was all about, but given how hard it was to get my hands on, I'm loathe to cut it apart so that I could make a proper scan.

I'd like to make a scanlation of the comic at some point (i.e. not real soon), but the macrosshare scans are not all that great, so we'll have to wait at least until I get my hands on another copy of the book.

@Scream Man: They WERE on iTunes. I have no idea what iTunes' problem is. For some reason it only retains ten episodes and I don't know why. You can certainly get the old episodes on www.destroyallpodcastsdx.com.

That sucks. i startwed to DL some of the older ones off your site, but itunes puts them in with your music, and not into the podcast section, which kinda sucks.

That sucks. i startwed to DL some of the older ones off your site, but itunes puts them in with your music, and not into the podcast section, which kinda sucks.

What can I say? iTunes is a crappy program. All of the podcasts should be tagged properly unless iTunes strips the tags somehow, which would be really lame. There's no reason it should categorize them that way.

Its not just u guys, its an issue with itunes. Happens to all podcatss not through itunes it seems.

If u ever decide to put your old macross ones back in rotation i won't say no ;)

I have no idea how to do that. But you can certainly just go to the website and download them directly. Sorry!