Best 1/60 valkyrie to buy for a first timer

Getsuga Tenshou

Waaaaa just found out right now ... This is what I get for not being able to read Japanese and not asking the shop attendants ... The YF-19 I got was apparently a used or second hand YF-19 but it "wasnt opened" yet. I dont blame the shop. It was wirtten in the box that it was used but not opened, I just couldnt read it. I asked our front desk receptionist to translate the Japanese and thats what he told me. It seems that the previous owner didnt even bother to open it and decided to sell it I guess.

Is there a link in this site where Grahams YF-19 transformation guide is? I cant seem to find it in youtube. The vids I found was from users peolesdru and Stealth639. Thanks :-)

Waaaaa just found out right now ... This is what I get for not being able to read Japanese and not asking the shop attendants ... The YF-19 I got was apparently a used or second hand YF-19 but it "wasnt opened" yet. I dont blame the shop. It was wirtten in the box that it was used but not opened, I just couldnt read it. I asked our front desk receptionist to translate the Japanese and thats what he told me. It seems that the previous owner didnt even bother to open it and decided to sell it I guess.

Is there a link in this site where Grahams YF-19 transformation guide is? I cant seem to find it in youtube. The vids I found was from users peolesdru and Stealth639. Thanks :-)

As long as decals are intact your 19 is as good as brand new. I'd check for floppyness or somethin annoying, and if there is something, you

could argue with the shop that you would like to exchange it.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

As long as decals are intact your 19 is as good as brand new. I'd check for floppyness or somethin annoying, and if there is something, you

could argue with the shop that you would like to exchange it.

Hehehe this may seem a bit noobish but .... what are decals??? I found it hard to remove the YF-19 from the plastic container thingie. The right and left side near the wings were being held down by the plastic, I had to crumple the plastic to remove the valk.

Ill go looking for the VF-0S with ghost this weekend. Im going to Akihabara again this saturday and try the other sections where I wasnt able to go to last time. Then on Sunday, maybe Nakano or Shinjuku or Shibuya.

P.S. Can someone post a link to Graham's YF-19 transformation video? Thanks.

ahh sorry, i meant to say 'Stickers'' (decals are what we call waterslide decals for models generally)

Good luck on your VF-0S ROY + Ghost hunting! :D

I wish i had as much time as you in Akihabara, i only had an hour or less. :(

Here are some links i found for you ( i think you have alerady seen these )

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...formation+video

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

There, i found the ones Graham did - http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...F-19_review.htm Scroll down the page.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...attroid_all.wmv < - Fighter to Battroid

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...gerwalk_all.wmv < - Fighter to Gerwalk

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...fighter_all.wmv < - Battroid to Fighter

You Tube ones.

< - Fighter to Battroid

< - Fighter to Gerwalk

< - Battroid to Fighter

FROM GRAHAM - Transformation of the YF-19 is relatively straightforward with only one tricky part, which is getting the upper arms and elbow joints in the correct position when transforming to fighter mode. While not particularly difficult, it can be time consuming as it is possible to get the pivoting "unlocked" elbow joint upside down.

I've included some photos below, which show the correct way that the upper arms and elbows should be positioned in fighter mode. Just follow the photos and you should be good. Oh, and remember to push up the bicep covers when transforming to fighter mode.

I would say that out of all Yamato's toys, the YF-19 probably has the sturdiest fighter mode, as it locks together extremely well.

One other point to note is that when opening the front canopy, or when transforming to Battroid mode, ensure that the black anti-glare section located in front of the canopy is pushed down.

The backpack of the YF-19 is a two piece sliding unit, which extends longer for Battroid mode and collapses shorter for Fighter & GERWALK modes. The larger upper backpack section has long rectangular pegs on both sides which slide up and down in plastic slots on the smaller lower backpack section. Sometimes during transformation, especially if you are transforming too quickly or roughly, the upper and lower backpack halves may separate. DON'T WORRY! The toy is NOT broken. Given the tolerances of ABS, Yamato could only make the side walls of the "U" shaped lower backpack section so tight. When your backpack does come apart (and it will), simply slot the upper backpack back into the tracks in the lower backpack and carry on. Nothing to worry about!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Thanks for spoonfeeding me the links ruskiiVFaussie hehehe. I really searched this site for that, I just couldnt find it. Thanks1000x.

Waaaaaaa 2 hours is really not enough to shop at Akiba. Especially for me since I can't read Japanese, I go check out each floor for each building that looks like a hobby,anime or gaming shop. Then when you do find the right floor(the figures or gundam floor for me since Im looking for macross), you have to find the section in that floor for your particular need. At 2 hours I think 4 shops is the maximum I can do, taking into account going from one shop to the other.

P.S. The Stickers were still there, it was bundled inside a plastic with the 2 manuals. I dont think the plastic was opened as there would be marks from the scotch tapes used when it was resealed and there werent.

i thought there was a re-issue Ivanov coming soon?

Ask your selected shop if they can give you a re-issue or if they know of one coming up.

That's why im so impressed with Overdrive, they go out of their way to help the customer out.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I having a tough time deciding between buying SV-51 Nora or Ivanov. I like the paint job on Ivanov, but the QC on the wings wasn't as good as Nora. Damn!!! What is it going to be? Can someone help me decide?

This would be of great help ... http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26399

Apparently the reissued ivanov still have some issues ... Im also torn between the nora and ivanov. Im more inclined to the nora although I love the ivanov color. I want my valks to be in good condition.

Finally finished transforming my YF-19 into Gerwalk mode. I think Im getting the hang of it. Will transform to battroid tomorrow.

I have a slight problem with my YF-19 though:

1)When I install the gunpod to the right hand in gerwalk mode, it points down down down down and not straight. What I did was to remove the index finger from the gunpod trigger. Its pointing straight now but its kinda awkward to see the index finger outside the gun trigger

2)I just remembered now that my rear landing wheels/gear are pointing inward instead of outward.

I havent tried installing the gunpod in fighter mode yet. Im getting the feeling I got the version1 YF-19 even though I bought the one with the fold and fast packs. Oh well its still cool anyway. As long as theres no breakage, this minor issues will not prevent me from loving the YF-19.

I've got a v.1 YF-19 as well Getsuga. :) And to be honest i haven't tried lowering my landing gear down as all the reports

from the dissapointments with the v.1 (i bought mine from Akihabara as well you know. ;) ) i decided to save myself a frown.

My Gunpod was crooked of course, but if you squeeze the arms the right way (or sometimes loosen) the gunpod will be straight enough.

But yeah, the gear not panning outwards is a bit of a jip, try the gunpod in fighter mode. See if you really have been given a v.1 :p

Everything else is beautiful though! Enjoy your first bird! I love mine heaps.

btw it's not that difficult to figure out Gerwalk to battroid. Feel around, that's half the fun learning your own way on how to cycle though

the variable modes. :) The only difficult part of the YF-19 is getting the arms clicked in correctly for fighter mode. You'll see what i mean.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Which version of the YF-19 has all the fixes?

Hi badboy00z,

the "nice and tight" yf-19, all fixes, is the version 2. You can distinguish from the regular version because:

- fighter, accessories and FAST packs are all on a single box

- The box has a background based on 3 wide vertical bars; in the version 2, the central one is GREEN.

Please take a look:

Version 1 box:

post-657-1224630330_thumb.jpg

Version 2 box:

post-657-1224630337_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

regards,

Manu

@ruskiiVFaussie

Hehehe yeah its part of the fun groping your way transforming the valks. Im just afraid I might break something. If I indeed received a version1 YF-19, it would mean I paid the extra yen for nothing, since I could have lived without the fast packs and fold booster. I shelled out the extra yen for the fixes supposedly. But meh ... its just too beautiful that I love it even with the issues. It locks pretty well also. I havent found any floppy parts yet.

@badboy00z

I thought of getting the 25th anniversary YF-19 too but decided that brown was the most appropriate color for the YF-19 hehehehe so I sticked to the original color scheme. I dont know if the 25th anniversary has the fixes though.

The 25th anniversary yf-19 fixes everything except for the gaps in the shoulder in fighter mode and the gaps between the fuselage and the leg/intakes in fighter mode.

And the non locking chest in battroid and gerwalk, whether or not that's an actual flaw or a design choice is up to you.

Transformed my YF-19 to battroid mode. Well I was able to pose it around for the first 2 - 3 tries. But after that, the Hip part became loose. Now I cant do the same exact poses I did the first time around. Whenever I extend the leg to a sort of squat position, the body part will sag forward. Is there some sort of remedy for this?

My Nora is a sturdy birdie. BUY.

Hey ruskiiVFaussie. Got that. SV-51 will be my next buy next week. I went to Akihabara this afternoon around 1:30pm. Arrived home at 7:30pm. I think Ive covered up most of the hobby areas in Aki. I was able to check out these stores:

- The 3 AsoBit Cities building

- Ishimaru Hobby

- Comictorama

- The 8 floor Mandarake

- The 6 floor building hobby shop with Volks and Yellos Submarine

- Super Modellers (Goddamn this store is very hard to spot. I just saw it by coincidence.)

- Tam Tam Hobby shop

- Gamers

- 2 Softmap buildings

- Some other stores which I didnt know the names

Still havent found any VF-0S with ghost. I did see some VF-0A with ghost but I dont want to take my chances on that one. Will go to Nakano Broadway tomorrow and check out the stores there. I already conceded that the VF-0S with ghost can no longer be found in any stores in Tokyo, but Im still going to Nakano broadway just to check out the place.

P.S. Gundams were EVERYWHERE. I wish macross had more following.

A bit of useless info for you, but the re-issue of the standalone (non-Ghost pack) Roy VF-0S with re-invented shoudlers is due out this december, so your best bet is Roy + Ghost, or Shin + Ghost. (debatably still flawed by chance)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

SV-51 will be my next buy next week. I went to Akihabara this afternoon around 1:30pm. Arrived home at 7:30pm. I think Ive covered up most of the hobby areas in Aki...

seems you've been bitten by the bug. :rolleyes:

SV-51 is a good choice, wicked looking fighter mode. but you gotta buy a VF-1, 1/60 or 1/48... your choice. Even if it's the oldest looking valk in terms of design, it just never gets old to look at. I never get tired of looking at my VF-1's even if the other newer valks look cooler and more advanced. Get one, you won't regret it. The new VF-1J super coming out this nov. would be a good choice.

seems you've been bitten by the bug. :rolleyes:

SV-51 is a good choice, wicked looking fighter mode. but you gotta buy a VF-1, 1/60 or 1/48... your choice. Even if it's the oldest looking valk in terms of design, it just never gets old to look at. I never get tired of looking at my VF-1's even if the other newer valks look cooler and more advanced. Get one, you won't regret it. The new VF-1J super coming out this nov. would be a good choice.

Hahaha. Yeah its because the design of the newer valks are cooler thats why I want them more than the VF-1's :-). Hmmm If the VF-0S does not go out this December as anticipated, I will be getting the VF-1J, but if the VF-0S does come out on December, that's the one I will be getting.

BTW just arrived home from Nakano Broadway. Not much macross there so it was a bit of a let down, but the sheer variety of the hobby items you will find there are amazing. If you're looking for used or old models, you have got to take a look at Nakano Broadway.

• 2 weeks later...