The Megaroad crew and the original "Triangler"- why the hang

Despite an innate desire to see them again outside of re-watching the series or the movie, I would have to say that I would rather have the dull ache of longing than to have that feeling ruined by at worst, a half-hearted attempt to bring them back due to fanservice.

Kinda like having the mystery of the force dashed by midicholians.... :angry:

Welcome to Macrossworld! :) and thanks for your post. it's quite refreshing to see the old triangle from the fresher perspective of a new fan. From you perspective, it seems more "legend" than "unfinished story", which is a nice view on the whole thing. :)

It's great to see new fans to the Macross universe and your perspective is refreshing and leads me to think that Macross is trully timeless and reminds me of the story of the Birdman from M0 being told to the villagers of Mayan. Perhaps we fans are sorta doing the same via message boards like MW....

And welcome aboard hikennoace

Macross is trully timeless and reminds me of the story of the Birdman from M0 being told to the villagers of Mayan. Perhaps we fans are sorta doing the same via message boards like MW....

haha! in that sense, the story would be all mixed up and "mythified" somewhere along the line. before we know it, the story will be more like Hikaru's dream in Phantasm, than the real SDFM! :lol:

The romantic side to me would probably just leave them as it be, for making this would make the SDFM/DYRL into a legend status. But yeah like most fans of that series I probably would want to take a peek on how did they end up or what really happened (just like the ending of Escaflowne which I'm still itching to know on how did van and hitomi end up, did they hook up again? gone separate way? etc. etc.) but then again it is not a necessary for I am quite happy on how did it end up though not logically (yeah, vanishing just suddenly is quite lame) but rather emotionally. Because like others who has the same reverence as me of the original series wouldn't want a half-baked fan service to spoil the precious memories given to us by the SDFM/DYRL.

OT @ Dreamweaver13: Oi kababayan! nice to see you so active in the forum. lol. :D

I would like a further reference to their past but would not like Hikaru, Misa and Minmei to make an apperance.

I'd like further discussion about it in subtle references like they've done thus far in Macross F referring to Ranka as "the next Minmei" or something to that effect...

If we're ever to see these characters again it ought to be covering their disappearance and the circumstances thereof, like them making a fold without coordinates or something to escape the onslaught of some new super-attacker villainrace.

I would like a further reference to their past but would not like Hikaru, Misa and Minmei to make an apperance.

I'd like further discussion about it in subtle references like they've done thus far in Macross F referring to Ranka as "the next Minmei" or something to that effect...

If we're ever to see these characters again it ought to be covering their disappearance and the circumstances thereof, like them making a fold without coordinates or something to escape the onslaught of some new super-attacker villainrace.

I stand by my earlier theory: if you look at the starmap at the beginning of Frontier, the Megaroad-01 is nowhere near the center of the galaxy. I think they just got lost, and Misa was too proud to ask for directions. Then U.N. Spacy called, asking how the mission was going, and Misa answered, "Um...yeah...we're, uh...right on schedule. Should be arriving at point QNB2661 in a couple of days...um, GottaGoNowBye!"

Then U.N. Spacy sent a fold communication to that spot, only to find nothing there. Global and Britai had a big "ZOMFG! They've VANISHED!" panic attack, and raised all the alarms.

At this point, Misa's WAY too embarrassed to fess up, and so they decide to cut all communications, and find a nice planet to settle down on.

Whenever a ship passes within a few light years of the planet they're on, she gets hives.

Every once in a while, a few of us might be lucky enough to catch a glimpse into the Japanese psyche, either through being with them and enjoying their company, or through their works -- like anime.

I hate it when Western people elevate Japanese to some superior beings capable of deeper thought and greater humanity than mere mortals. They`re regular people and after you live here a while you realise that most of them are actually hollow, shallow jerks who don`t give a fvck about anyone but themselves. Take yesterday on the train. I was waiting to ask the station staff a question, this girl 4 or 5 times directly tried to cut in front of me, I kept moving to block her and eventually got to ask my 5 second question. Happens all the time. Then getting on the train, people will push in front, then no one will EVER get up for elderly. This like 100 year old woman was just standing in front of the priority seats and THREE 15 yo punks just sat there with their PSPs IN the priority seats ignoring her. I told em to move and they did but not until I said. They were totally oblivious. Don`t tell me Japanese have some kind of superhuman perception of nuance because they`re pretty oblivious to everything around them in my experience.

Edited by MilSpex

I stand by my earlier theory: if you look at the starmap at the beginning of Frontier, the Megaroad-01 is nowhere near the center of the galaxy. I think they just got lost, and Misa was too proud to ask for directions. Then U.N. Spacy called, asking how the mission was going, and Misa answered, "Um...yeah...we're, uh...right on schedule. Should be arriving at point QNB2661 in a couple of days...um, GottaGoNowBye!"

Then U.N. Spacy sent a fold communication to that spot, only to find nothing there. Global and Britai had a big "ZOMFG! They've VANISHED!" panic attack, and raised all the alarms.

At this point, Misa's WAY too embarrassed to fess up, and so they decide to cut all communications, and find a nice planet to settle down on.

Whenever a ship passes within a few light years of the planet they're on, she gets hives.

Either that, or their communication equipment broke down, and the only guy who knew how to fix it was stuck on Earth working on the comm systems of the next few Megaroad ships.

Misa to random bridge bunny: Quick, call tech support.

random bridge bunny: But ma'am we can't call tech support because we busted the equipment that we use to call them.

:lol: so that's what it was?

too bad Basara, in his trek across the galaxy, is more than likely to find them. then misa will finally get to know the truth about Hikaru and Minmei's jettisoned lovechild. :D

Lakan,

Good to see you here. :) with macross, once you post.... :p

Milspex,

Aw, come on, where's the love? hehe. j/k. it's not so much as putting them on a pedestal, but finding their culture very interesting. :)

I though men were only capable of such stupid things. :p

I hate it when Western people elevate Japanese to some superior beings capable of deeper thought and greater humanity than mere mortals. They`re regular people and after you live here a while you realise that most of them are actually hollow, shallow jerks who don`t give a fvck about anyone but themselves. Take yesterday on the train. I was waiting to ask the station staff a question, this girl 4 or 5 times directly tried to cut in front of me, I kept moving to block her and eventually got to ask my 5 second question. Happens all the time. Then getting on the train, people will push in front, then no one will EVER get up for elderly. This like 100 year old woman was just standing in front of the priority seats and THREE 15 yo punks just sat there with their PSPs IN the priority seats ignoring her. I told em to move and they did but not until I said. They were totally oblivious. Don`t tell me Japanese have some kind of superhuman perception of nuance because they`re pretty oblivious to everything around them in my experience.

Uhm, first of all dude, I'm not "western". (Well, okay, maybe just a little. Being a Filipino, I can trace some of my ancestry to some Spanish roots, but then that's already how many generations back). I was born and raised with Asian ideals so I can definitely relate to a lot of the things that the Japanese consider important, culturally speaking.

I won't deny the fact that I'm fascinated and have a great deal of respect for the Japanese. This notwithstanding the fact that Japan invaded my homeland in WWII and did a lot of atrocities to my people. A lot of our elders in the Philippines still remember the time of the "Death March" and the use of Filipinas as comfort women, not to mention a lot of other horror stories of Japanese soldiers tossing babies in the air to be bayoneted or of men and women being used as human practice dummies for katana-wielding imperial officers. Our history classes still teach us about the so called "Greater East Asian Co-prosperity Sphere", and the puppet Philippine government used by the Japanese to promote the idea. We definitely have not forgotten about our dark history with the Japanese, and I certainly hope our younger folk won't.

So no, I don't "elevate" them to "superior beings". And I certainly don't think them any more capable of humanity than the next person in this forum. Sure they have A-holes in their society. But so do we.

I've ridden the MRT and LRT in Manila, and the JR Trains in Japan (lived there for a year under student scholarship) as well as the subways in several other countries. And I can tell you sadly enough, that young punks without respect for elders are becoming rampant these days.

But an apathetic youth is the problem of the entire human race in general, and is something to be discussed and addressed, not just by our leaders, but by ourselves as well.

I apologize to dreamweaver for this somewhat unrelated post in this thread. Let me end by saying that there are many things that the Japanese have that are worthy of admiration, respect and even emulation. I'll be audacious and say that EVERYONE in this forum acknowledges this as fact in one way or another. Macross after all, is a Japanese product. ^_^

Uhm, first of all dude, I'm not "western". (Well, okay, maybe just a little. Being a Filipino, I can trace some of my ancestry to some Spanish roots, but then that's already how many generations back). I was born and raised with Asian ideals so I can definitely relate to a lot of the things that the Japanese consider important, culturally speaking.

I won't deny the fact that I'm fascinated and have a great deal of respect for the Japanese. This notwithstanding the fact that Japan invaded my homeland in WWII and did a lot of atrocities to my people. A lot of our elders in the Philippines still remember the time of the "Death March" and the use of Filipinas as comfort women, not to mention a lot of other horror stories of Japanese soldiers tossing babies in the air to be bayoneted or of men and women being used as human practice dummies for katana-wielding imperial officers. Our history classes still teach us about the so called "Greater East Asian Co-prosperity Sphere", and the puppet Philippine government used by the Japanese to promote the idea. We definitely have not forgotten about our dark history with the Japanese, and I certainly hope our younger folk won't.

So no, I don't "elevate" them to "superior beings". And I certainly don't think them any more capable of humanity than the next person in this forum. Sure they have A-holes in their society. But so do we.

I've ridden the MRT and LRT in Manila, and the JR Trains in Japan (lived there for a year under student scholarship) as well as the subways in several other countries. And I can tell you sadly enough, that young punks without respect for elders are becoming rampant these days.

But an apathetic youth is the problem of the entire human race in general, and is something to be discussed and addressed, not just by our leaders, but by ourselves as well.

I apologize to dreamweaver for this somewhat unrelated post in this thread. Let me end by saying that there are many things that the Japanese have that are worthy of admiration, respect and even emulation. I'll be audacious and say that EVERYONE in this forum acknowledges this as fact in one way or another. Macross after all, is a Japanese product. ^_^

Agreed. :)

If you love Macross, then that's a plus for japanese culture right there. :D

Edited by dreamweaver13

I'll give you that, but what I meant was that maybe more discussion of legend to give us a tiny bit more backstory, by no means do I want to see these people show up all grayed and old-- though it would be one hell of a trip if Miko Ichijyo showed up out of nowhere--as unlikely as that is.

I am sure the Megaroad is nowhere near the center of the galaxy and odds are it did not run into some other villain-race DBZ-style, but as I was saying, maybe a little bit of closure in a sentence somewhere would be nice, or a definitive "megaroad 01 was destroyed or lost".

I stand by my theory that they made a random fold/jump either deliberately or unintentionally. And that's where they went, probably clear out of this particular galaxy, maybe even into the Andromeda or further.

We will not see these characters again, but again, I'd love to hear just a tiny bit more reference to the past.

How is that really any more closure than what we got? "They left earth on a the first colony ship and lived happily ever after." is what we got. How is, "They landed on the planet Bob and had 8 more kids." any more closure when there's always "Well, what happened next?" Where does it end? What planet did they colonize? Where did their careers go from there? How many kids did they have in the end? What did their kids do? I'm not seeing where this additional closure is coming from.

Curiosity, that I can understand but then call it what it is. It's not closure people are asking for. We got closure. It was pretty open and such, literally almost with that book closing ending.

If the "they disappeared near the centre of the galaxy" thing is the jab at the fans that I originally heard it was, I can certainly see why Kawamori would do that. Sheesh. On the other hand, I rather like the air of mystery it gives those characters. Saying they disappeared kinda makes them larger than life, and I'm perfectly fine with it remaining like that. Lets the curiosity and imagination run wild.

because no one likes a seinfield/sapranos ending not even hardcore seinfield and saprano fans. i don't have to see a 50-60 year old hikaru and misa but some little mention that the megaroad was found crashed on a isolated planet and the survivors couldn't reach UN spacey because of some weird fold phenomenom.

Enh, I'm a hardcore Sopranos fan, and I loved the ending.

I say, if you don't like the "they disappeared near the center of the galaxy" idea, go with the "they went into a black hole" idea. And if THAT doesn't sit well with you, go with the "They flew off at the end of Flashback 2012 and lived happily ever after" ending. Certainly, nothing in the animation itself contradicts any of those endings.

And if you REALLY need more, write your own ending. ^_^

Enh, I'm a hardcore Sopranos fan, and I loved the ending.

I say, if you don't like the "they disappeared near the center of the galaxy" idea, go with the "they went into a black hole" idea. And if THAT doesn't sit well with you, go with the "They flew off at the end of Flashback 2012 and lived happily ever after" ending. Certainly, nothing in the animation itself contradicts any of those endings.

And if you REALLY need more, write your own ending. ^_^

Tell that to the folks who wrote the series finale of Seinfeld.

How is that really any more closure than what we got? "They left earth on a the first colony ship and lived happily ever after." is what we got.

Actually, no it's not. Given that the fleet completely disappeared, the most likely answer to what happened was, "They accidentally blundered into something dangerous (possibly a Zentraedi fleet) and all died before they could get a distress call off."

Now one hopes that it was something more benign than that. But statistically speaking, the destruction of the ship with all (or nearly all) hands is the most likely explanation for why it just suddenly vanished.

How is that really any more closure than what we got? "They left earth on a the first colony ship and lived happily ever after." is what we got. How is, "They landed on the planet Bob and had 8 more kids." any more closure when there's always "Well, what happened next?" Where does it end? What planet did they colonize? Where did their careers go from there? How many kids did they have in the end? What did their kids do? I'm not seeing where this additional closure is coming from.

Curiosity, that I can understand but then call it what it is. It's not closure people are asking for. We got closure. It was pretty open and such, literally almost with that book closing ending.

If the "they disappeared near the centre of the galaxy" thing is the jab at the fans that I originally heard it was, I can certainly see why Kawamori would do that. Sheesh. On the other hand, I rather like the air of mystery it gives those characters. Saying they disappeared kinda makes them larger than life, and I'm perfectly fine with it remaining like that. Lets the curiosity and imagination run wild.

Could've been worse, really...I'm sure you've heard the (possibly apocryphal) story of Tomino getting pestered with questions about the next Gundam sequel, and finally grabbing a Gundam model, stabbing it through the head with a pencil, and saying, "THERE'S your Gundam sequel!" and storming off.

Actually, no it's not.

Rewatching SDF:M/Flashback 2012. Yup, that's what we got.

You do realize that the "they disappeared all mysterious like" explanation came up later, as I've always heard it at a time when Kawamori was getting lots of questions about what happened to them after he had moved on from Macross to other things. Again, I can't blame him.

And, yes, it could have been worse.

I think it's pretty obvious what happened:

Clearly, they ascended to a higher plane of existence, and now live as gods in a superdimensional afterlife.

You mean they became Protodeviln? :huh:

My wild speculation: During their journey, they stumbled upon ASS-2 (The one they encountered during the satellite factory capture operation), this time they sent a team to investigate only to trigger another bobby trap, and the bobby trap is a dimensional eater. There you go, they did ascended to higher plane of existence. :lol:

Edited by Morpheus

Rewatching SDF:M/Flashback 2012. Yup, that's what we got.

You do realize that the "they disappeared all mysterious like" explanation came up later, as I've always heard it at a time when Kawamori was getting lots of questions about what happened to them after he had moved on from Macross to other things. Again, I can't blame him.

Apocryphal story or not, fan whining or not, that doesn't change the fact that "they all went off in the Megaroad and lived happily ever after" is no longer the final word. The final word is that the fleet vanished and was never seen again. It's why people speculate on what happened to them. I don't know for certain, but I suspect if Tomino had answered with, "They never saw another combat mission again, they ended up finding a nice world to settle on 50 years later, and all three of them retired and settled down along with Minmei's husband," then this thread wouldn't exist.

But he didn't answer that, and so this thread does exist.

Apocryphal story or not, fan whining or not, that doesn't change the fact that "they all went off in the Megaroad and lived happily ever after" is no longer the final word. The final word is that the fleet vanished and was never seen again. It's why people speculate on what happened to them. I don't know for certain, but I suspect if Tomino had answered with, "They never saw another combat mission again, they ended up finding a nice world to settle on 50 years later, and all three of them retired and settled down along with Minmei's husband," then this thread wouldn't exist.

Tomino? The Kill-Em-All Tomino in FlashBack? :blink:

I agree with you dude, fans of the original series probably would have been contented with the ending of SDFM and DYRL has offered. Heck knowing that Hikaru and Misa got married and had a baby made all happy, but what bugged me is when I heard that they suddenly vanished in middle of nowhere.

When I heard that the megaroad-1 and it's crew vanished the first thing came to my mind is 'Where did it go?', thus the continued curiosity on what happened to the original Triangler and the megaroad-1.

If Kawamori probably didn't add that to the official timeline of the Macross universe we wouldn't be talking about this in the first place.

But yeah it might be some jab to the fans for them not to forget the original Triangler and just keep on following the Macross series with some hope of the mystery of the megaroad-1 being answered along the way.

I must say I am happy with the ending (especially knowing the hikaru and misa got married and had a child) but I can't still get out of my mind on why/how they vanished.

This reminds of the hollywood movie 'Frailty' where people was said to be taken by god's hand and just vanished without a trace.

Edited by Lakan