Super Dimension Southern Calvary Cross

rei

Aw c'mon, that steals the fun of it. Logistically that raises an interesting question... how would you get horses to some outpost planet (and in some feasible manner)? Were they indigenous horse-like creatures? If they were real horses with armor then I imagine they'd wear armor similar to their rider's. Ooh, did the marine ride a seahorse??

It was originally set in Japan so the horses wouldn't have been a problem.

But seriously, am I the only one who actually thinks robot horses are cool, and oh so very 80s?

I always thought of riding ON mecha (as opposed to IN it) being kind of a '90s Bt'X/Escaflowne thing...

That said, robot horses just remind me of Baron Karza...

Robot horses make me think of:

1) That atrocious Galaxy Rangers show.

2) Steel Jeeg, and his clones Force Commander, Baron Karza, and the Emperor.

The idea of armor-clad horses just crapping whenever and wherever they wanted to makes me giggly.

It was originally set in Japan so the horses wouldn't have been a problem.

So the original concept must have almost nothing in common with the end product except the armor huh? It's amazing how much these ideas get tweaked on their way to actually being animated. It's like every guy who gets to approve funding also gets to put his own twist on the show without anyone being able to veto it. "I like it, but take it out of Japan and put it in Space!" "I like it, but make it so the bad guys are actually just trying to get home!" "I like it, but we've never seen helicopters or tanks in space, try that!" "I like it, but horses on a space colony don't make sense, give 'em hover cycles!"

In Robotech Art III Macek mentions that when HG approached Tatsunoko about doing the The Sentinels, they pulled out a whole bunch of old unused designs from Southern Cross with the intention of maybe using them for the Sentinels. I've always been kind of curious if any of those designs were used, and if so which ones?

In Robotech Art III Macek mentions that when HG approached Tatsunoko about doing the The Sentinels, they pulled out a whole bunch of old unused designs from Southern Cross with the intention of maybe using them for the Sentinels. I've always been kind of curious if any of those designs were used, and if so which ones?

The horses for sure!

The Sentinels DVD has pictures of a different horse that I hadn't seen before and isn't in the comics that looks REALLY cool. It has a giant chariot thing that I think it combines with that is way cooler than the flying horse.

Not the same one from the "REF field guide" lineart?

The amazonian girls had a motorcycle that transformed into a chariot for the robot horse if I remember.

So the original concept must have almost nothing in common with the end product except the armor huh? It's amazing how much these ideas get tweaked on their way to actually being animated. It's like every guy who gets to approve funding also gets to put his own twist on the show without anyone being able to veto it. "I like it, but take it out of Japan and put it in Space!" "I like it, but make it so the bad guys are actually just trying to get home!" "I like it, but we've never seen helicopters or tanks in space, try that!" "I like it, but horses on a space colony don't make sense, give 'em hover cycles!"

Yeah...imagining Macross as a full-on comedic parody show, or trying to figure out exactly how a planned Mospeada sequel got turned into Megazone 23 simply serves to make my brain hurt.

I guess I can now add "trying to figure out how an SF samurai show became Southern Cross" to that list...