Macross: DYRL + Macross Plus. Editions, subs, bootlegs and regions.

StrangeWill

So I've been looking for a DVD of Do You Remember Love for awhile now, I'll admit, I got my own bootleg, but it's such horrible quality that every time I watch it I want to run out and get a real version, but of course, you wont find a DVD of DYRL in any local stores it seems.

So I'm searching online, however I run into a handful of issues. I don't want to pay $15 for a bootleg, so I need a reliable place to get it from, if anyone can chime in for any websites that would be awesome. Secondly is editions, I know there is "remastered", then "perfect edition" apparently the perfect is better, however I've heard there is an HD version too, is this true?

Third is subs, the bootleg version I have has different subs than some clips I've seen from youtube, how do I know I'm getting good subs (I've seen the thread about replacement subs, are they really that bad? I guess I can follow the steps about sub replacement pretty easily if so anyway.

I've heard a lot about regions, but even being a computer programmer, I've never touched on this much, do I really need to worry about this with modern DVD players?

---

Moving onto Macross Plus, a simple question, in the music video "Information High" there are clips that are in it that aren't in the 4 episode version, are these left out bits in the "movie" version?

---

And finally, this Macross: Frontier, I hear a bit about it, but have no clue where to watch it, it looks awesome from what I've seen.

Anyway thanks for all the help, I've been a fan of Macross for awhile and eager to make the right choice in actually picking up quality DVDs that I'll keep with me for as long as they last.

Edit:

I've seemed to find Macross: Frontier on Veoh, along with Macross: Do You Remember Love in better quality (though I still want the DVD), with the translations from this site. ;D

Edited by StrangeWill

In reverse order:

1. If you look at the Macross Frontier threads, you'll find where to get each episode.

2. I haven't seen the Information High AMV, but any extra footage is probably from the movie. Especially if Guld's eyeball pops or you see Lucy's butt.

3. If you want a legal copy of DYRL, you won't get subs, so it doesn't matter what quality they are.

You might want to check the pinned threads...most of what you want can be found there.

So I've been looking for a DVD of Do You Remember Love for awhile now, I'll admit, I got my own bootleg, but it's such horrible quality that every time I watch it I want to run out and get a real version, but of course, you wont find a DVD of DYRL in any local stores it seems.

So I'm searching online, however I run into a handful of issues. I don't want to pay $15 for a bootleg, so I need a reliable place to get it from, if anyone can chime in for any websites that would be awesome. Secondly is editions, I know there is "remastered", then "perfect edition" apparently the perfect is better, however I've heard there is an HD version too, is this true?

Third is subs, the bootleg version I have has different subs than some clips I've seen from youtube, how do I know I'm getting good subs (I've seen the thread about replacement subs, are they really that bad? I guess I can follow the steps about sub replacement pretty easily if so anyway.

I've heard a lot about regions, but even being a computer programmer, I've never touched on this much, do I really need to worry about this with modern DVD players?

Perhaps the best way to watch DYRL is to buy the Japanese HD Remaster edition and watch it on your computer. To do this, you'd first have to make your DVD playing software region-free (just google region-free DVD player). Then use something like DVD subber to add subs. Since you're a computer programmer I'm sure you'll find this a cinch to do.

Perhaps the best way to watch DYRL is to buy the Japanese HD Remaster edition and watch it on your computer. To do this, you'd first have to make your DVD playing software region-free (just google region-free DVD player). Then use something like DVD subber to add subs. Since you're a computer programmer I'm sure you'll find this a cinch to do.

The HD remaster is very grainy.

But are you watching it on a HDTV? It doesn't look anywhere near as bad on a standard set.

No, I watch all my DVDs on a SD set. But yeah, if you watch the HD Remaster release on a HDTV it looks horrible - at least with the current HDTV setup in my home. It might look better if I had a decent up-converting DVD player. Dunno.

I watch my DVDs on a SD set because well... the SD TV set is in my room. The HDTV is elsewhere. Besides, since DVDs are all SD/NTSC, it'd probably be best to not watch them on HDTVs. No?

But are you watching it on a HDTV? It doesn't look anywhere near as bad on a standard set.

I watched it on a HDTV set (westy-32w6) and my lcd-monitor (samsung 2220wm), alongside an old 19" crt. HDMI, DVI, VGA.

However, I haven't watched it using Y/Pb/Pr connectors, so ymmv.

At any rate, the graininess ain't that bad. Only at the beginning scenes of Britai and Exedol where the grain were quite noticeable.

Unless of course, you sit and watch way too close at your hdtv or lcd-monitor ala watching a typical fansub. Even then, it depends on your display's calibration or, well, video-card / player settings.

Edited by treatment

DRYL HD vs DYRL Perfect Edition: I have the R2 Perfect Edition in big the LD size box, HK Licensed Edition (not bootleg) and clips from the newly remastered HD DVD edition.

Best version on my 37" LCD upscaled to 1080p from my computer via HDMI is the R2 edition to me. LCD is calibrated to my computer for movies and the HD DVD edition is way too grainy. It might be my LCD TV with too large of a dot pitch but it is very "noisy" looking.

Or wait for a cleaned up Blu-ray edition - I am holding out after comparing my R2 to the HD DVD version. Forget the HK or bootlegs. The low bit rates has a lot of compression noise. Better to just download a fan sub to hold you over if you cannot pick up an R2 DVD.

Note: HD DVD and Blu-ray rips at 720p and 1080p look stunning on my LCD so I know its not my eyes. SD DVD looks fine if the masters were digital sources or cleaned up remasters.

Macross Plus - do not about the AMV but if you spare the cash, get the new R2 Remastered Box set and find the subs on the net. Quality is fantastic! Or wait for the Blu-ray release.

Macross Frontiers - download a fansub and you'll be saving your pennies for the eventual Blu-ray Box set!!! I know I am.

You did't ask but:

Macross 7 - newly remastered box sets (2 boxes) looks great but needs fansubs.

Macross Zero - R2 Blu-ray boxed set is coming out!

Macross II - R2 OVA edition looks fairly good to me on LCD upscaled. Do not have the "movie" edition so can't comment.

Edited by Neova

So blu-ray releases (and therefore complete remasters at a higher resolution) are planned? I haven't heard anything other than whispers of possibilities on this site.

It's an educated guess. Many older titles are being re-released to DVD or now, Blu-Ray. It's just a matter of when. Especially when you have a catalog as big as BV's.

Macross 7 - newly remastered box sets (2 boxes) looks great but needs fansubs.

Actually there's a fansub team call "VIP" which are re-realeasing the Macross 7 using the Central Anime Subs and the new HD Remasters Raw. And yeah the quality is just jaw dropping - I just keept thinking to myself "My I never thought Macross 7 was -that- good technically speaking".

(On a semi related note someone finally released a RAW of the HD Remaster of the Macross Plus Movie... hopefully there will be a fansub soon... I'd love to see that film in eck... GOOD quality).

-Sergorn

Actually there's a fansub team call "VIP" which are re-realeasing the Macross 7 using the Central Anime Subs and the new HD Remasters Raw. And yeah the quality is just jaw dropping - I just keept thinking to myself "My I never thought Macross 7 was -that- good technically speaking".

(On a semi related note someone finally released a RAW of the HD Remaster of the Macross Plus Movie... hopefully there will be a fansub soon... I'd love to see that film in eck... GOOD quality).

-Sergorn

I typed up a script for the Macross Plus Movie for boinger to use...but he needs to time it and make the sub file. He's pretty busy right now, but it shouldn't be TOO long...

remastered Macross Plus movie is on iMacross4 under the Macross Plus folder.

The video is an uncompressed avi xvid from the orginal r2 dvd I just received last week from cdjapan.

32 files, HJSplit

Zoom player/media player classic/ videolan player will work

k-lite codec pack or cccp video codec pack

You can try using Rapget software to automate the rapid share downloading. If you have a free account, then you would set the wait time to 3600 seconds = 1 hour. Rapidshare sets a 1 hour wait time for every 100 mb file for non paying downloaders.

As well, I just finished fixing up the audio and video glitches in the remastered DYRL and posted up the DYRL best edition version on iMacross4 under the DYRL folder. (no subtitles burned in)

20 files, HJSplit

Gubaba's special edition timed DYRL2.srt subtitles are also posted up on iMacross4. You'll have to see for yourself if the movie looks better now on a high definition tv. I noticed a definite film grain improvement on my 20" LG LCD monitor.

I'm working on a DYRL custom version with english song subtitles on the top margin and a english Macross movie title for upload later this week. I'm doing the custom dyrl version, so I'm that much closer to working on the Clash of the Bionoids. Right now, I'm timing DAPDX's DYRL commentary for the COTB dvd.

This week, I get two weeks vacation time off from working my night shifts at St. Boniface Hospital, so I'll work on getting Macross Plus movie retimed and the COTB movie done.

Or I might be going to sleep soon.

I'm getting a little Macross overload.

Edited by boinger