FOX Sports Robot Figures

crasis

I was browsing Michael Crawford's highly informative toy review site, mwctoys.com, when I stumbled across this guy.

Now, I have never cared for (American) football, but there's just something about this robot design that appeals to me. I could almost see him posed with my Revoltech Patlabors. Well, maybe that's a stretch... :p

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but since I'm not a sports fan, I rarely keep up with such threads. Does anyone have more info on this mascot? Apparently, the character is much hated by football fans... which could possibly explain why it appeals to me so much. Heh.

You can buy two versions of the toy, 10" and 3". I almost feel ashamed for liking this, but it may be hard to resist next time I'm in a TRU. ;):D

post-435-1201113636_thumb.jpg

post-435-1201113645_thumb.jpg

what is this robot based on? is it a mascot for american football?

It actually looks good, even though I haven't a clue about anything to do with American sports. American football always apeared to be like rugby to me, hence it should be called american rugby :lol: just like americans call football, soccer :lol:

The robot character appears in the broadcasts of football on the Fox network. It's kind of a Fox thing, it really has nothing to do with the football games Fox shows outside of it being shown in brief "asides" as broadcast "fluff". A while back Fox had a big to do with these CG football robots and had a big animation with them... I think they premiered it during a past super bowl. Fans liked them so they kept the robots around and use them every now and then. The most prominent appearance of this "cleatus" football robot character currently is on a sidebar doing what can only be called "neutral motions" like jogging in place and doing stretches.

Suffice it to say this robot is more of a Fox Sports mascot than it is a football mascot. They are very well done spots in the end and they add a lot of "techie flash" to Fox Sports coverage... better than the sleepy downright '80s coverage CBS musters.

blur1.jpg