Tamiya putty no more?!?!?

David Hingtgen

Over at ARC it seems nobody can get any of Tamiya's putties any more, even the more exotic ones. (I never did get the light-curing one, though I'd love to try it). Squadron can't get it either.

What if Tamiya masking tape's next? Modeling around the world will come to a halt...

Over at ARC it seems nobody can get any of Tamiya's putties any more, even the more exotic ones. (I never did get the light-curing one, though I'd love to try it). Squadron can't get it either.

What if Tamiya masking tape's next? Modeling around the world will come to a halt...

Seriously? As much as there are better ones, I find it a good "medium grade," where I don't want to mix up some mori mori or use mr. surfacer.

I have a tube of the light-curing one. Anyone want it? It's a full tube. I'll give it away for free.

I tested a drop or two's worth out and it didn't seem to cure as fast as say Mr. White Putty but what I couldn't stand about this item was the smell or fumes it was putting out. It's horrible smelling and tends to linger around. Ack!

Scale modeling in general is a dying hobby in the US since kids would rather play games than spend their time actually making something. Guess people will now be hoarding putty or importing it from HK retailers now :p

Edited by Duymon

I was told by the guy in the local model shop to me that his various contacts in the Supply area say that its on the comeback in the U.K. He said he was suprised when he got told but said that sales are getting better.

I am still though of as a bit geeky by my friends for making models but when they need some plastic kids toy fixed or their Starwars figures cleaned and painted suddenly I'm the man.

I think kids aren't building anymore, but us older guys are making up for it with a vengeance! There is always a replacement product for something on the market, even leaded petrol! - MT

And on a related note, now they're saying Mr Surfacer is going to be much harder to get in the US. Apparently since the label's all in Japanese and US Customs doesn't understand exactly what the various warnings are, they treat it like it's toxic waste now and won't allow large shipments to distributors/importers nor via US mail.

Well, most of the newer models do not really require putty anymore in a way, just take a look at all the BanDai made MG and PG kits!

Only traditional and true model kits need putty and apparently the market for them are shrinking quite fast :unsure:

And on a related note, now they're saying Mr Surfacer is going to be much harder to get in the US. Apparently since the label's all in Japanese and US Customs doesn't understand exactly what the various warnings are, they treat it like it's toxic waste now and won't allow large shipments to distributors/importers nor via US mail.

Heh you dont need to tell me about imports into the U.S. At work they are second only to imports into Russia in P.I.T.A ratings.

More than likely it's just undergoing another labeling change to meet US standards like the paint went through a few years back. Gunze is probably having to do that same with their supplies.