ADV Films

ADV Films has released a English Dub version Remastered DVD box set of the Macross TV Series. I was wondering if they are going to release DVD box sets of English Dub versions Macross Zero and Macross 7 TV series and OVA movie. In my opinion they should be the logical company to release Macross Zero and Macross 7 to the USA, since they released the English version of Macross to the USA.

All comments are welcome on this topic.

dubs are terrible for 2 reasons.

1. they always hire the cheapest voice actors. if it isn't shrek or any other movie like that, than we won't see any good voice actors in the credit.

2. they ALWAYS rewrite the story. i have ninja scroll and ghost in the shell and they say different things in the japanese version than they say in the english version. sometimes, they changed the script a little bit for the english version (ninja scroll). sometimes, they rewrite entire scenes (ghost in the shell). the major character in ghost in the shell quotes the bible at the end of the movie but the took this out for the english version and she doesn't says something completely different. also, remember the guy who thought his wife and daughter were real and not imaginary? well, they explained what happened to him usin' two different scripts in ghost in the shell. the english version took liberty with this and rewrote the entire movie.

akira is the only movie that i own where the dubs and the subs are the same. trust me, i have these 3 movies memorized 'cause i watched them over and over in english until i decided to watch them in japanese one day.

3. my fansubs have better subs than my retail akira, ninja scroll and ghost in the shell dvds. i paid alot of money for them (all special edition dvds, not the regular priced dvd) and i can't read the subs when the scene background color is a light color. my fansubs are PERFECT. my retail dvd's subs are either white letters or yellow letters. my fansubs subs are white letters with a BLACK BORDER so that you can still read them when the background is a light color. so why is the professional subs non-readable but my amateur subs are readable???

4. i got ripped off on my retail ninja scroll widescreen (i have the non-widescreen version too, yes, i have two retail dvds of the same movie) version 'cause they CUT OFF THE TOP AND BOTTOM OFF THE PICTURE!!!

so, what did i learn. don't buy anime dvds unless i rent them first (manga is WRONG for the widescreen ninja scroll and they should refund everybody their money).

so i don't see adv doin' a better job with those dvds. if they were to release those dvds, then they would include a japanese audio/english subtitle option on them. why should somebody buy them if they don't have somebody to do quality control over the subs and review them to ensure that the customer can read 100% of the subs.

yea, that's 4 reasons. my 3rd and 4th reason is not directed at adv 'cause i have never viewed an adv dvd. that's more directed at manga ent. and pioneer video. i'll stick to my korean/chinese/japanese live action movies, at least those subs appear in the "black" area underneath the widescreen picture and i can read 100% of those subs. yea, i still buy dvds but i want a QUALITY product.

you didn't mention the quality of the adv subs but from my experience i would expect them to be on the same level of manga ent. and pioneer.

Check out the Harmony Gold mega thread that's locked, in the Other sci fi and anime section of the forum. Lots to read through, but you'll get a good idea why ADV will not be bringing out M7 and M0 (thankfully).

if you just want a retail dvd set, check out these links.

macross 7 dvd set (macross 7 & encore, macross dynamite 7 & macross 7: the galaxy is calling me)

japanese audio

english/chinese subtitles (on/off)

region free

released by: anime cartoon

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/detail.asp...ateName=Macross

macross zero dvd set

japanese audio

region 1-5

they're on my "to buy" list so i can't give any first hand experiences right now. they are the only import dvds that i've found so far (and i don't even need to use my region free dvd player to play them).

so i don't see adv doin' a better job with those dvds. if they were to release those dvds, then they would include a japanese audio/english subtitle option on them. why should somebody buy them if they don't have somebody to do quality control over the subs and review them to ensure that the customer can read 100% of the subs.

yea, that's 4 reasons. my 3rd and 4th reason is not directed at adv 'cause i have never viewed an adv dvd.

ADV has the original and dub channel on the SFDM sets :rolleyes:

dubs are terrible for 2 reasons.

1. they always hire the cheapest voice actors. if it isn't shrek or any other movie like that, than we won't see any good voice actors in the credit.

2. they ALWAYS rewrite the story. i have ninja scroll and ghost in the shell and they say different things in the japanese version than they say in the english version. sometimes, they changed the script a little bit for the english version (ninja scroll). sometimes, they rewrite entire scenes (ghost in the shell). the major character in ghost in the shell quotes the bible at the end of the movie but the took this out for the english version and she doesn't says something completely different. also, remember the guy who thought his wife and daughter were real and not imaginary? well, they explained what happened to him usin' two different scripts in ghost in the shell. the english version took liberty with this and rewrote the entire movie.

akira is the only movie that i own where the dubs and the subs are the same. trust me, i have these 3 movies memorized 'cause i watched them over and over in english until i decided to watch them in japanese one day.

3. my fansubs have better subs than my retail akira, ninja scroll and ghost in the shell dvds. i paid alot of money for them (all special edition dvds, not the regular priced dvd) and i can't read the subs when the scene background color is a light color. my fansubs are PERFECT. my retail dvd's subs are either white letters or yellow letters. my fansubs subs are white letters with a BLACK BORDER so that you can still read them when the background is a light color. so why is the professional subs non-readable but my amateur subs are readable???

4. i got ripped off on my retail ninja scroll widescreen (i have the non-widescreen version too, yes, i have two retail dvds of the same movie) version 'cause they CUT OFF THE TOP AND BOTTOM OFF THE PICTURE!!!

so, what did i learn. don't buy anime dvds unless i rent them first (manga is WRONG for the widescreen ninja scroll and they should refund everybody their money).

yea, that's 4 reasons. my 3rd and 4th reason is not directed at adv 'cause i have never viewed an adv dvd. that's more directed at manga ent. and pioneer video. i'll stick to my korean/chinese/japanese live action movies, at least those subs appear in the "black" area underneath the widescreen picture and i can read 100% of those subs. yea, i still buy dvds but i want a QUALITY product.

you didn't mention the quality of the adv subs but from my experience i would expect them to be on the same level of manga ent. and pioneer.

Thanks for your comments everyone. The only gripe I have is ADV released the Japanese Super Dimensional Fortress Macross version to the U.S. and just recently the English Dub version to the U.S. as well. From What I understand the English Dub version of the Macross TV series has never been released before until now. An doesn't Bandai and Big West own the rights to Super Dimensional Fortress Macross as well. I like to know what legal problems that ADV Films would encounter that would prevent them from being able to release Macross Zero and the Macross 7 saga to the USA.

Thanks for your comments everyone. The only gripe I have is ADV released the Japanese Super Dimensional Fortress Macross version to the U.S. and just recently the English Dub version to the U.S. as well. From What I understand the English Dub version of the Macross TV series has never been released before until now. An doesn't Bandai and Big West own the rights to Super Dimensional Fortress Macross as well. I like to know what legal problems that ADV Films would encounter that would prevent them from being able to release Macross Zero and the Macross 7 saga to the USA.

Again read the legal thread: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=153

Big West owns the creative rights to Macross in Japan. Tatsunoko owns the SDFM animation. HG owns the license to SDFM through Tatsunoko. Macross 7 carries a very large music license bill which many companies do not have the capital for.

if you just want a retail dvd set, check out these links.

macross 7 dvd set (macross 7 & encore, macross dynamite 7 & macross 7: the galaxy is calling me)

japanese audio

region free

macross zero dvd set

japanese audio

region 1-5

they're on my "to buy" list so i can't give any first hand experiences right now. they are the only import dvds that i've found so far (and i don't even need to use my region free dvd player to play them).

Thanks, The Animation DVD website helps alot. Looks like I'm able to still afford to buy Macross 7. The limited edition box set with the extra features is to expensive and there prices on regular Macross box sets are reasonable.

Again read the legal thread: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=153

Big West owns the creative rights to Macross in Japan. Tatsunoko owns the SDFM animation. HG owns the license to SDFM through Tatsunoko. Macross 7 carries a very large music license bill which many companies do not have the capital for.

Short and sweet, Thanks for clearing up the legal issues that were mentioned on this topic. Nothing more needs to be said on the legal aspects of Macross Zero and Macross 7.

For the love of- Do not purchase those Anime Cartoon sets. They're bootlegs, they look like crap, and the subs suck. Not to mention you won't be supporting the producers at all, just paying 73 bucks on something that cost 3 bucks (no joke) to produce. Go to Animesuki.com and download the free fansubs there. If you like it, buy the R2. DJ Loe Kee, do not suggest bootlegs, especially for that ridiculous price. As for your grievances, have you seen all of five US DVDs? Because really, where the hell are you coming from with these conclusions? Yes dubs tend to be inaccurate, but than do what I do and don't watch them.

1. Were you expecting James Earl Jones and Ian McKellen? What kind of baseless argument is that? Dub companies use actors in the field of dubbing. You think anyone in the anime business outside of Disney can actually afford big name talent? I dislike the over use of some actors as well, and a lot of them do lack skill or just sound shrill. Still, there are some that even I think are quite good, and there are horrible Japanese actors as well.

2 The two dubs you list are decades old, and from a company known to take liberties. Aside from Funimation and some ADV dubs, most are pretty accurate.

3 Ever thought your DVD player is the cause? Most DVDs have the borders you speak of. The only ones I've seen otherwise are either ancient or a bootleg. Seeing as you have no problem with boots, maybe that's what you're seeing. My DVD player sucks with subtitles, and I've never encountered borderless subs.

As for fansubs vs pro, fansubs tend to cater to hardcore fans, so they can be more accurate. It really depends though. I'm a big fansub watcher, and In know firsthand that a lot are crap. Shame that mot fans don't notice due to their ignorance of the language. Most seem to take whoever releases first. Pro releases have to broaden their audience, but really, they're just not as thorough. Though some companies do go all out. It really is a case by case thing.

4. Your fault for not doing the research on the disc or movie to find out which is correct. A simple visit to IMBD would've told you it was cropped. Anime films are often open matte. It was probably put in widescreen either for those with 16:9 TVs, or because it was meant to be cropped. Manga doesn't owe you a thing if you blindly bought a film you already owned. It's not their fault you chose to make an uninformed purchase.

From the looks of it, you're bashing an entire industry based on actions Manga Ent made years ago.

As for ADV, just about every disc they've released have both languages. So I don't know where you got the messed up information your spewing.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

For the love of- Do not purchase those Anime Cartoon sets. They're bootlegs, they look like crap, and the subs suck. Not to mention you won't be supporting the producers at all, just paying 73 bucks on something that cost 3 bucks (no joke) to produce. Go to Animesuki.com and download the free fansubs there. If you like it, buy the R2. DJ Loe Kee, do not suggest bootlegs, especially for that ridiculous price. As for your grievances, have you seen all of five US DVDs? Because really, where the hell are you coming from with these conclusions? Yes dubs tend to be inaccurate, but than do what I do and don't watch them.

1. Were you expecting James Earl Jones and Ian McKellen? What kind of baseless argument is that? Dub companies use actors in the field of dubbing. You think anyone in the anime business outside of Disney can actually afford big name talent? I dislike the over use of some actors as well, and a lot of them do lack skill or just sound shrill. Still, there are some that even I think are quite good, and there are horrible Japanese actors as well.

2 The two dubs you list are decades old, and from a company known to take liberties. Aside from Funimation and some ADV dubs, most are pretty accurate.

3 Ever thought your DVD player is the cause? Most DVDs have the borders you speak of. The only ones I've seen otherwise are either ancient or a bootleg. Seeing as you have no problem with boots, maybe that's what you're seeing. My DVD player sucks with subtitles, and I've never encountered borderless subs.

As for fansubs vs pro, fansubs tend to cater to hardcore fans, so they can be more accurate. It really depends though. I'm a big fansub watcher, and In know firsthand that a lot are crap. Shame that mot fans don't notice due to their ignorance of the language. Most seem to take whoever releases first. Pro releases have to broaden their audience, but really, they're just not as thorough. Though some companies do go all out. It really is a case by case thing.

4. Your fault for not doing the research on the disc or movie to find out which is correct. A simple visit to IMBD would've told you it was cropped. Anime films are often open matte. It was probably put in widescreen either for those with 16:9 TVs, or because it was meant to be cropped. Manga doesn't owe you a thing if you blindly bought a film you already owned. It's not their fault you chose to make an uninformed purchase.

From the looks of it, you're bashing an entire industry based on actions Manga Ent made years ago.

As for ADV, just about every disc they've released have both languages. So I don't know where you got the messed up information your spewing.

Thank you for informing me about this company selling bootlegs. I don't want to break the law and I don't want to disrespect the people who have have worked hard on making Macross Zero and Macross 7 saga.

DJ Loe Kee, do not suggest bootlegs, especially for that ridiculous price... have you seen all of five US DVDs?

bootlegs?!? then i wouldn't have suggested them to him.

and i have ALL of the macross series. yes, i watched ALL of macross 7.

and i only gave an example of the dvds that i own. i have seen naruto, bleach and death note in japanese AND english and the english actors have NO EMOTION in their voice.

hey, i am a artist and ACTING IS AN ART. so i hate those who are terrible at their artform. this includes those who do the english voice actin' for anime.

ask me about any hollywood movie or tv show and i can tell you about BAD ACTORS. even oscar winnin' movies have bad supportin' actors in them, even if the bad actor only said ONE LINE IN THE ENTIRe MOVIE. what is the director's problem??? they probably do 1000 takes for one scene and he should have brought in a TRAINER for terrible actors or make them do it until they get it right.

i have seen the korean tv show FULL HOUSE and that is VERY GOOD ACTING!!!!!!! they even get their facial expressions down right. i have not seen any american actor use the faces that they used (outside of comedians makin' faces). you knew the persons emotions just by their face.

as for ninja scroll widescreen. it does have a better audio than my original non-widescreen movie, i just didn't bother to read the reviews on amazon about the picture ('cause i hadn't even bother to watch it ONE TIME until i read the reviews about the picture bein' cut off. it just sat on my tv for 2-3 months and i finally played the movie to see if they were right or not). simply put, i AM A BIG NINJA SCROLL FAN and i wanted the movie anyways. if i wanted to be cheap, i could have dl'ed the movie FOR FREE!!!

at the same time, if companies expect me to BUY MOVIES and NOT DL FOR THEM AT THE SAME QUALITY FOR FREE, then they need to EARN MY MONEY.

that is simply from one artist (me when creatin' a cd FOR SALE TO THE PUBLIC) to another artist (an anime studio creatin' a dvd FOR SALE TO THE PUBLIC). get it right or go out of business, ya heard me.

and if the anime cartoon is bootlegs, than all you have to say is that they ARE BOOTLEGS. they is NO NEED TO MAKE IT SEEM LIKE I WAS PROMOTIN' PEOPLE TO GO OUT AS BUY BOOTLEGS AS I SAID

i was simply pointin' out what I WOULD BUY, NOT GO OUT AND BUY BOOTLEGS. i already have the entire macross collection (minus macross ii) on dvd (either fansub or dvd-rip) and i am SIMPLE BUYIN' THEM 'CAUSE I LIKE MACROSS THAT MUCH. oOo, but you didn't know that. why would i go out and buy bootlegs OVER the REAL RETAIL DVD when i already have them on DVD-R?!? i'm still scratchin' my head.

did i say that, go buy bootlegs?!? NO. normal people say, "hey, those are bootlegs", "that is not a good choice that you have in mind" or "that company is on the black list" like they did in this thread.

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24624

there is not need to be a TROLL and make it seem like i go around tellin' everybody to buy bootlegs when i simply went googlin' for import dvds to buy instead of buyin' that fc*kin pitiful job that harmony gold calls a series.

so you know that they are bootlegs, so i guess that you either bought the dvds before from them or that you have proof that they are bootlegs. or you most have a link to where somebody can buy the REAL import dvds from. region doesn't matter, my dvd player is region free.

and NO it isn't my dvd player. i have a region free dvd player, a dvd player, a ps2 and my pc's dvd burner. i can tell you right now, HARDWARE will not make a subtitles border disappear. i have the video authorin' software and my friend uses the video authorin' hardware. that comment is a weak attempt at a troll.

bootlegs?!? then i wouldn't have suggested them to him.

But you did suggest it to them by linking to those pages. Still, glad to hear it!

Good for you. Considering that M7 is fansub/R2/Bootleg only, I fail to see the relevance.

and i only gave an example of the dvds that i own. i have seen naruto, bleach and death note in japanese AND english and the english actors have NO EMOTION in their voice.

I know that, and you're basing an entire industry off of the minuscule amount that you apparently own. Look, I agree that most dubs are not as good as the original, but that's no grounds to call the actors cheap, or slam companies for not being able to afford some Hollywood actor. Not to mention that it all comes down to opinion. I've heard the Bleach dub myself. I'm not a fan, but I wouldn't call it emotionless.

hey, i am a artist and ACTING IS AN ART. so i hate those who are terrible at their artform. this includes those who do the english voice actin' for anime.

Me too. I've even acted on stage. Funny how you've seem to forgotten that art is subjective, and that we're all human.

ask me about any hollywood movie or tv show and i can tell you about BAD ACTORS. even oscar winnin' movies have bad supportin' actors in them, even if the bad actor only said ONE LINE IN THE ENTIRe MOVIE. what is the director's problem??? they probably do 1000 takes for one scene and he should have brought in a TRAINER for terrible actors or make them do it until they get it right.

Yeah, money is no object! How dare he not waste film and time getting one actor that's onscreen for a second right. Not to mention that it's his call, when it should be yours! Sorry, but that's how the world works. I know of actors I personally can't stand that have won awards. Not everyone is perfect. Not to mention that such as this statement is mere opinion.

i have seen the korean tv show FULL HOUSE and that is VERY GOOD ACTING!!!!!!! they even get their facial expressions down right. i have not seen any american actor use the faces that they used (outside of comedians makin' faces). you knew the persons emotions just by their face.

So you're one of those that automatically thinks that, if its foreign, it's better. That's bullshit, and you know it. Not every show dictates Oscar caliber performance. Even than, there are tons of great actors on both sides of the Pacific.

as for ninja scroll widescreen. it does have a better audio than my original non-widescreen movie, i just didn't bother to read the reviews on amazon about the picture ('cause i hadn't even bother to watch it ONE TIME until i read the reviews about the picture bein' cut off. it just sat on my tv for 2-3 months and i finally played the movie to see if they were right or not). simply put, i AM A BIG NINJA SCROLL FAN and i wanted the movie anyways. if i wanted to be cheap, i could have dl'ed the movie FOR FREE!!!

That makes Manga the bad guy how? Sure, they probably shouldn't have done it, but you were uninformed. So you bought something, never watched it, then out of the blue, you read a review about cropping, finally pop the disc in, and get upset about something that you didn't bother to watch until after the stink?

I'm a big Gunbuster fan myself. I didn't like what BV did to the US release so I bought a different legitimate version. You don't hear me whining about a set I don't own.

at the same time, if companies expect me to BUY MOVIES and NOT DL FOR THEM AT THE SAME QUALITY FOR FREE, then they need to EARN MY MONEY.

That's funny, I thought they did. Maybe if you wrote them instead of whining on a message board, they'd learn how to please you. They're hardly the same quality too. Close maybe.

that is simply from one artist (me when creatin' a cd FOR SALE TO THE PUBLIC) to another artist (an anime studio creatin' a dvd FOR SALE TO THE PUBLIC). get it right or go out of business, ya heard me.

So a huge company dealing in an entirely different, and much more expensive, medium with dozen if not hundreds of titles should hold themselves to an outsiders standards? Even though the market is entirely different from yours? I agree that the releases you mention are messed up, but they hardly reflect the industry.

and if the anime cartoon is bootlegs, than all you have to say is that they ARE BOOTLEGS. they is NO NEED TO MAKE IT SEEM LIKE I WAS PROMOTIN' PEOPLE TO GO OUT AS BUY BOOTLEGS AS I SAID

They are indeed bootlegs, as I said. Firstly, stop with the caps lock, as on civil forums it is equivalent to screaming. Secondly, you are too promoting them. You linked to them, and even advertised that you were saving up for them. If that's not a promotion for the sets, I don't know what is. How am I supposed to know that you were unaware that such obvious bootlegs (what with the region-less coding, chinese subs, preposterously low price on M0, and utter lack of a US release) were in fact so? So my option is to either a.) assume you couldn't put two and two together and were ignorant, or b.) give you some credit and figure you knew, but just had no problem with it. I chose the latter.

i was simply pointin' out what I WOULD BUY, NOT GO OUT AND BUY BOOTLEGS. i already have the entire macross collection (minus macross ii) on dvd (either fansub or dvd-rip) and i am SIMPLE BUYIN' THEM 'CAUSE I LIKE MACROSS THAT MUCH. oOo, but you didn't know that. why would i go out and buy bootlegs OVER the REAL RETAIL DVD when i already have them on DVD-R?!? i'm still scratchin' my head.

I can only go on the info you give me, buddy-boy. Your exact words on the matter were, "they're on my "to buy" list so i can't give any first hand experiences right now. they are the only import dvds that i've found so far (and i don't even need to use my region free dvd player to play them)." Hence how am I supposed to know what the heck you have. I have fansubs myself of both, plus the legitimate US releases of Macross, M+, and MII. Unlike you, I actually bought what was released here. You outright say you plan on buying them, and in this context, you meant these sets. I'm glad to hear that you won't know that you know what they are.

did i say that, go buy bootlegs?!? NO. normal people say, "hey, those are bootlegs", "that is not a good choice that you have in mind" or "that company is on the black list" like they did in this thread.

there is not need to be a TROLL and make it seem like i go around tellin' everybody to buy bootlegs when i simply went googlin' for import dvds to buy instead of buyin' that fc*kin pitiful job that harmony gold calls a series.

Funny, that's exactly what I did. I've already explained the promotion part. You linked to bootlegs and said, "buy these". Ignorant or not, you still recommended them. Quit with the hyperbole by the way. It was one measly warning not to do it here. As you've explained, you were unaware, so I know it wasn't intentional, so in that case, no harm done. I wasn't even harsh about it.

As for the name calling, if you think a simple warning makes me a troll, you must not talk online much. Most people would call the one who rants about unrelated things with seemingly no knowledge of the industry, let alone how caps works as the "troll". Not me though. I don't stoop to petty name calling.^_^

As for Harmony Gold, we're not talking Robotech here. The Animeigo Macross set is gorgeous, and a mere forty bucks. The Manga release of M+ and M II are old, but passable for the quality available at the time and are dirt cheap. So I have no clue what you're refering to there.

so you know that they are bootlegs, so i guess that you either bought the dvds before from them or that you have proof that they are bootlegs. or you most have a link to where somebody can buy the REAL import dvds from. region doesn't matter, my dvd player is region free.

No, I haven't bought them, nor would I ever. Like I said, it's obvious. Most region free discs are illegitimate. Add in the chinese subs, low price, the fact that Anime Cartoon is not the show's distributor, and lack of a US release, and it's a no-brainer. I've also been around for a long while, and Anime Cartoon is a well known bootlegger. Here's one site a Google search turned up.

http://www.jazzmess.com/merch/bootlegfaq.html

This site is reference by anime conventions - http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

As for a legitimate release, I don't buy many R2s, so I'm not the best authority on the subject here for the best price. One site though, is CD Japan.

M7 was just remastered.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3049

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3050

http://amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/249-175...o.y=0&Go=Go

M0 can be found on this search page

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html?curre...cross&sort=

CD Japan is a well known and respected provider of Japanese media.

and NO it isn't my dvd player. i have a region free dvd player, a dvd player, a ps2 and my pc's dvd burner. i can tell you right now, HARDWARE will not make a subtitles border disappear. i have the video authorin' software and my friend uses the video authorin' hardware. that comment is a weak attempt at a troll.

I only suggested it as my DVD player does cause some display issues with the subs. Still, as an owner of over a hundred DVDs from just about every company, I can assure you that these are rare cases. The 'troll' comment here, I might point out, is a great atempt at insulting retardation, as I was merely offering a possibility based on my own experience. Sorry if I was blunt, but your holier than thou approach sort of made me apathetic to your situation.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

But you did suggest it to them by linking to those pages. Still, glad to hear it!

Good for you. Considering that M7 is fansub/R2/Bootleg only, I fail to see the relevance.

I know that, and you're basing an entire industry off of the minuscule amount that you apparently own. Look, I agree that most dubs are not as good as the original, but that's no grounds to call the actors cheap, or slam companies for not being able to afford some Hollywood actor. Not to mention that it all comes down to opinion. I've heard the Bleach dub myself. I'm not a fan, but I wouldn't call it emotionless.

Me too. I've even acted on stage. Funny how you've seem to forgotten that art is subjective, and that we're all human.

Yeah, money is no object! How dare he not waste film and time getting one actor that's onscreen for a second right. Not to mention that it's his call, when it should be yours! Sorry, but that's how the world works. I know of actors I personally can't stand that have won awards. Not everyone is perfect. Not to mention that such as this statement is mere opinion.

So you're one of those that automatically thinks that, if its foreign, it's better. That's bullshit, and you know it. Not every show dictates Oscar caliber performance. Even than, there are tons of great actors on both sides of the Pacific.

That makes Manga the bad guy how? Sure, they probably shouldn't have done it, but you were uninformed. So you bought something, never watched it, then out of the blue, you read a review about cropping, finally pop the disc in, and get upset about something that you didn't bother to watch until after the stink?

I'm a big Gunbuster fan myself. I didn't like what BV did to the US release so I bought a different legitimate version. You don't hear me whining about a set I don't own.

That's funny, I thought they did. Maybe if you wrote them instead of whining on a message board, they'd learn how to please you. They're hardly the same quality too. Close maybe.

So a huge company dealing in an entirely different, and much more expensive, medium with dozen if not hundreds of titles should hold themselves to an outsiders standards? Even though the market is entirely different from yours? I agree that the releases you mention are messed up, but they hardly reflect the industry.

They are indeed bootlegs, as I said. Firstly, stop with the caps lock, as on civil forums it is equivalent to screaming. Secondly, you are too promoting them. You linked to them, and even advertised that you were saving up for them. If that's not a promotion for the sets, I don't know what is. How am I supposed to know that you were unaware that such obvious bootlegs (what with the region-less coding, chinese subs, preposterously low price on M0, and utter lack of a US release) were in fact so? So my option is to either a.) assume you couldn't put two and two together and were ignorant, or b.) give you some credit and figure you knew, but just had no problem with it. I chose the latter.

I can only go on the info you give me, buddy-boy. Your exact words on the matter were, "they're on my "to buy" list so i can't give any first hand experiences right now. they are the only import dvds that i've found so far (and i don't even need to use my region free dvd player to play them)." Hence how am I supposed to know what the heck you have. I have fansubs myself of both, plus the legitimate US releases of Macross, M+, and MII. Unlike you, I actually bought what was released here. You outright say you plan on buying them, and in this context, you meant these sets. I'm glad to hear that you won't know that you know what they are.

Funny, that's exactly what I did. I've already explained the promotion part. You linked to bootlegs and said, "buy these". Ignorant or not, you still recommended them. Quit with the hyperbole by the way. It was one measly warning not to do it here. As you've explained, you were unaware, so I know it wasn't intentional, so in that case, no harm done. I wasn't even harsh about it.

As for the name calling, if you think a simple warning makes me a troll, you must not talk online much. Most people would call the one who rants about unrelated things with seemingly no knowledge of the industry, let alone how caps works as the "troll". Not me though. I don't stoop to petty name calling.^_^

As for Harmony Gold, we're not talking Robotech here. The Animeigo Macross set is gorgeous, and a mere forty bucks. The Manga release of M+ and M II are old, but passable for the quality available at the time and are dirt cheap. So I have no clue what you're refering to there.

No, I haven't bought them, nor would I ever. Like I said, it's obvious. Most region free discs are illegitimate. Add in the chinese subs, low price, the fact that Anime Cartoon is not the show's distributor, and lack of a US release, and it's a no-brainer. I've also been around for a long while, and Anime Cartoon is a well known bootlegger. Here's one site a Google search turned up.

http://www.jazzmess.com/merch/bootlegfaq.html

This site is reference by anime conventions - http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

As for a legitimate release, I don't buy many R2s, so I'm not the best authority on the subject here for the best price. One site though, is CD Japan.

M7 was just remastered.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3049

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3050

http://amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/249-175...o.y=0&Go=Go

M0 can be found on this search page

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html?curre...cross&sort=

CD Japan is a well known and respected provider of Japanese media.

I only suggested it as my DVD player does cause some display issues with the subs. Still, as an owner of over a hundred DVDs from just about every company, I can assure you that these are rare cases. The 'troll' comment here, I might point out, is a great atempt at insulting retardation, as I was merely offering a possibility based on my own experience. Sorry if I was blunt, but your holier than thou approach sort of made me apathetic to your situation.

i still stand by all of my words.

forums, oOo, i mod a forum, shoupz.com. but you think i have no experience with on forums.

as for the rest of it of your post. i still think that it is nothin' but a troll to start on argument.

as for my recommendations. don't blame me for what others buy. i am only responsible for what i buy. and for the record, if i was displeased with something, then I WILL SAY SOMETHING about it. and if i am pleased with something, then I WILL SAY SOMETHING about it. some ppl think that this is still the 1950's and that i should keep my mouth shut. you won't change my mind so respect my opinion. if i am not pleased with a dub then nothin' you can say will make me go play the dub and enjoy it all of the sudden.

as for foreign tv shows, i simply mentioned the show, full house. i didn't even mention if i liked the show or not (for the record, it is a soap opera and it's too romantic for me to watch a 2nd time). but i did find the face actin' in the series to be superb. all that i will say is that i watched all 16 episodes. but i also watched all of the bleach and naruto filler only to say at the end that "this filler suxs".

this is on topic... as for the adv box sets, i avoid anything with a "dub". if my shows are "subbed only" then my friends will watch the subs with no complaints. if it is "dubbed and subbed", then an argument will arise over which version to watch (some ppl will argue that the american dub is BETTER than the original). i can only recommend what I WOULD CHOOSE. it is advice and i am not forcin' somebody to listen to my advice.

thanks for those links. now i'll have to bother a friend to translate them for me (i probably don't need help but it's an excuse to send a email).

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

Enough with the arguements people lets go forward with the current thread at hand shall we. Everybody has there opinion about if watching a show with english subtitles or a English Dub version of the show is better then the other.

But you got to realize that alot of other foreign countries watch American TV and animation and what they watch alot a time is dubbed in there own language and is probably not that all perfect either to the original.

I personally in my opinion think watching shows and movies from foreign countries with English subtitles are boring. Then on top of trying to watch the movie or show you have to read the subtitles at the same time. Then you have got to think about people enjoying the show. I'm sure like alot of other people would enjoy a foreign show or movie more if it was Dubbed in a language that you speak from the country that you are from.

Enough with the arguements people lets go forward with the current thread at hand shall we. Everybody has there opinion about if watching a show with english subtitles or a English Dub version of the show is better then the other.

But you got to realize that alot of other foreign countries watch American TV and animation and what they watch alot a time is dubbed in there own language and is probably not that all perfect either to the original.

I personally in my opinion think watching shows and movies from foreign countries with English subtitles are boring. Then on top of trying to watch the movie or show you have to read the subtitles at the same time. Then you have got to think about people enjoying the show. I'm sure like alot of other people would enjoy a foreign show or movie more if it was Dubbed in a language that you speak from the country that you are from.

some people will enjoy it more dubbed but i really think that most people are lazy. no, i'm not insultin' them by callin' them lazy but that is the best word for it.

example, me and my friends went to see crouching tiger hidden tiger in the theaters and we didn't know that it was subbed. i was the only one to read the subs for the entire movie (everybody else said that they gave up after 5 minutes). o, and that was my first time watchin' a subbed movie. so i went home and watched my anime with subs on (i have the dubs MEMORIZED, i've seen it that many times). man, was i surprised when i found out that it was NOT the same movie ('cause they rewrote alot of lines except for akira).

so i see nothin' wrong with dubs unless they change the plot/script/lines spoken. but the only way i would know that would be to watch both versions. forget that, i'll just watch the original. my opinions of dubs is the same for american shows dubbed in foreign languages. my friend said when he was in japan he saw the fresh prince dubbed in japanese. it's really not the same show.

that's like saying that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Pow:_Enter_the_Fist

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_and_Crane_Fist

is the same movie.

ok, so that isn't the best example.

but if you like the dubs, then i see nothin' wrong with other ppl watchin' dubs. just don't watch the subs EVER and you MAY NOT notice the weak voice actin' (i didn't notice the weak voice actin' of akira, ghost in the shell and ninja scroll until i watched the sub version. i've seen the dub version so much that i have the dialogue memorized and i notice the tiniest change in the script when i watch the subs).

it just common practice for some (no, i didn't say ALL) to convert those who watch the dub version. i'll even go to japan and try to convert them into watchin' the sub version of the fresh prince, comedy is still funny when read. the tv show full house had my LAUGHIN' just from readin' the subs (i like the comedy, the romance part bored me).

Edited by DJ Loe Kee