Newbie needs some help

Lukas

Hello community,

as you will see I'm quite new here (was a silent reader for a while, but finally registered) and I hope to have a great time with all of you in this forums.

So what I want is to start collecting Yamato's Macross Toys, because they look really great and because I'm such a "Robot-Lover" haha. Of course I started in reading the Newbie Thread, so I know everything about differences between the different scales and so on, but I also know that Yamato has a cheap QC from time to time lol.

So my question is rather simple. With witch Macross Toys should I start in order to not "waste" my money?

I would like to buy one 1/48 scale first and would be interested which the newest one of all of them is. Think it should be the best one then, right?...

Furthermore I Love the Macross Zero Toysline and would like to buy YF19, VF0A (Shin Kudo) with ghost, VF0S with ghost and SF51 anytime soon. YF19 had some problems when it was first released. What about now, still problems? And although VF0A with ghost should be released for some time now, I can't find any reviews on this one, so maybe someone here might tell me something about it. VF0S w ghost isn’t out yet, but maybe someone can say something about the standalone VF0S?

So as you can see my biggest problem is, which Toy to buy if I don't want to get yamatoed really fast ^^

Hope you can help me...

Oh and… why are 1/48 scales cheaper than the 1/60 ones (see hlj.com)???

Edited by Lukas

vf-0s (1st release)- tends to break at the shoulder

vf-0a (1st release) - tends to break at the shoulder

konig monster - a novel toy, but a floppy mess and yamato only bothered to figure out the transformation about 95%

who knows about the price, that's a subject of many a flame war around here.

Wecome to MW. I think you can't go wrong with any of the 1/48 range, the Roy 1S was my first and it has no problems. I just bought a VF-0S and again it's fine none of the problems that have been posted but this could be due to my keeness to play around with it, but it's feet lock in position and has no stress marks after a few tranformations. The 19 with FP seems to be the way to go as it seems some problems have been fixed and that's the way I'll go and I like my 1/60 VF's they're good but you do have to take the legs of to transform it. If I've missed anything I'm sure the other members will pick it up and let you know. Wecome to the Yamato addiction.post-5632-1190629935.gif

Hello community,

as you will see I'm quite new here (was a silent reader for a while, but finally registered) and I hope to have a great time with all of you in this forums.

So what I want is to start collecting Yamato's Macross Toys, because they look really great and because I'm such a "Robot-Lover" haha. Of course I started in reading the Newbie Thread, so I know everything about differences between the different scales and so on, but I also know that Yamato has a cheap QC from time to time lol.

So my question is rather simple. With witch Macross Toys should I start in order to not "waste" my money?

I would like to buy one 1/48 scale first and would be interested which the newest one of all of them is. Think it should be the best one then, right?...

Furthermore I Love the Macross Zero Toysline and would like to buy YF19, VF0A (Shin Kudo) with ghost, VF0S with ghost and SF51 anytime soon. YF19 had some problems when it was first released. What about now, still problems? And although VF0A with ghost should be released for some time now, I can't find any reviews on this one, so maybe someone here might tell me something about it. VF0S w ghost isn’t out yet, but maybe someone can say something about the standalone VF0S?

So as you can see my biggest problem is, which Toy to buy if I don't want to get yamatoed really fast ^^

Hope you can help me...

Oh and… why are 1/48 scales cheaper than the 1/60 ones (see hlj.com)???

Welcome welcome....I am even more of newbie than you I believe....You can take whatever these guys say and run with it....I would have to say that they seem to know what they're talking about....I JUST purchased a 1/48...I am waiting for it to arrive either today or tomorrow I hope...I purchased a Yamato 1/60 VF-1A Cannon Fodder Brown/Tan not that long ago, and you do have too take the legs off to TF it, which is not bothersome except for the fact that it makes it seem kinda difficult to pose....but still looks pretty sweet. But since I did just purchase the 1/48 I am selling the 1/60 in the Sell/Trade Forum. It's a nice starter piece I think. Good luck with all and as Warpaint22 said......WELCOME TO THE YAMATO ADDICTION.

:ph34r: MisterRyno :ph34r:

Thank you all for the help. I think I really will go with a 1/48 scale first.

But if there's still someone out there who would like to say something considering the models mentioned in my first post - Go on ^^

Every comment on them (no matter if a positive or negative one) might help me to decide in what to buy and what to leave on the shelfs.

Welcome to Macross World Lukas!

We had a VF-0A thread just recently that I was active in, since I very much want a VF-0A myself, but have been hoping the quality control issues would be worked out in subsequent releases. I'm sad to say the quality control is still looking quite grim. Purchase at your own risk.

I highly recommend a Yamato 1/48 scale VF-1. They are fantastic. I've owned three and not a single problem with any of them. I sold my original VF-1A to purchase a VF-1J and now I adore them both. I also purchased two FAST Pack sets and the GBP-1S set. Nothing but glowing things to say aobut them. Top quality stuff.

The YF-19 is the next one on my list. So far, the QC issues appear on par with the initial release of the 1/48 series, so luck is on our side, IMO.

I hope that helps you.

Thank you all for the help. I think I really will go with a 1/48 scale first.

But if there's still someone out there who would like to say something considering the models mentioned in my first post - Go on ^^

Every comment on them (no matter if a positive or negative one) might help me to decide in what to buy and what to leave on the shelfs.

Welcome Lukas, You're right to start with the 1/48's, but regarding your other selections.. I think the SV-51 (although i do not have one myself) may be too complicated and it still has some QC issues, wait for the second release. The 1/60 YF-19 is great (my personal fav.), nice and big too.. it has some QC issues but none of mine are affected. - highly recommended!!! The VF-0's look amazing but the regular VF-0S is a bit 'loose' and all have fragile shoulders. I guess it depends on how you want to display them.

If you havent already, have a read of this page on the main site... Graham's reviews are ace!! nice pics too.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/_toys_yamato.htm

If you want a 'tough nut' valk to play with.. have a look at the Bandai reissues - make sure you're looking at reissues and not the originals.. they should start at about $45 -$60 and are all 1/55 and tough as nails.

Jap, that really helps, thanks.

But I heard that one 1/48 VF-1x has a problem with its gunpod in fighter mode... something about it not pointing straight forward?!

And I heard that the VF-1A Maximillian Jenius Version is better than the other ones. Like taps and slots on the radar and nose and so on. Is it the only one which has them, or were the other (older) models re-released with such improvements too?

Oh and nobody of you is criticizing the BP8 part. I thought it breaks really fast ^^

--edit--

Thanks vermillion... so the VF-19 might be my 2nd one. Time will tell. But I really don't like the Bandai valks, dunno ^^ so they are out of the question hehe. But Thanks!

Edited by Lukas

But I heard that one 1/48 VF-1x has a problem with its gunpod in fighter mode... something about it not pointing straight forward?!

And I heard that the VF-1A Maximillian Jenius Version is better than the other ones. Like taps and slots on the radar and nose and so on. Is it the only one which has them, or were the other (older) models re-released with such improvements too?

Oh and nobody of you is criticizing the BP8 part. I thought it breaks really fast ^^

It was some of the early YF-19's that had the wonky gunpod thing... mine are fine. The original 1/48 VF-1S (skull leader) had some BP-8 issues, but i believe nearly all those problems are now fixed. All the current 1/48's have these fixes, so dont feel that its only safe to get the max version.

-1/48 VF-1 = can't go wrong with it. Go with your favorite color scheme or character. Just make sure to be careful if you're using fast packs on it because of the backpack hinge. Fast packs or not, make sure to never force it, not even a little bit. It's a very delicate piece. Never try to use that tab to push it up and lock it in place. Not as nice looking in fighter mode as the VF-0, since the shoulders and arms hang low in the VF-1 toy, whereas the VF-0 has it nice and tucker away. But you won't have the shoulders disintegrating on you with the VF-1. :)

-1/60 VF-1 : Not as good as the 1/48 VF-1. Lots of die-cast makes it really heavy, particularly the legs, which tend to be loose at the hips. Doesn't lock together or pose as well as the 1/48. Less detail, and it's Yamato's first attempt at the VF-1.

-/72 Macross Plus valkyries: VF-11, VF-11 with fast packs, YF-19, YF-21, YF-21 with fast packs. These are older, chunkier, and are Yamato's first attempts at valkyries, predating their 1/60 VF-1. Not great display pieces anymore unless it's for nostalgia, or they don't have a redone version in the works (VF-11). There was a repaint VF-19A Excalibur from Macross VFX2, a playstation game, it has stronger knee joints at the sacrifice of not being able to bend them forwards much for gerwalk.

-1/60 Macross Zero VF-0S and VF-0A Cannon Fodder: as eugimon said, broken shoulders. Also some get broken elbows or upper arms.

-1/60 Macross Zero VF-0A Shin type with Ghost Booster: supposedly improved shoulders and arms. Search for the Macross World poll to see a general idea of how many problems have occured in Macross Worlders' Shin VF-0As.

-1/60 Macross Pluss YF-19: 1st release had a crooked gunpod in fighter mode and the landing gears didn't cant outwards.

-1/60 YF-19 with Fold Boost and Fast Packs: I just bought one. The gunpod is nice and straight, the landing gear cants outwards. Mine has a loose left swivel joint in the leg, but not everyones does. It's a beauty.

-1/60 Macross Zero SV-51: I dunno, I don't have one. Lots of them have two of the same wing hinges though.

--edit--

Thanks vermillion... so the VF-19 might be my 2nd one. Time will tell. But I really don't like the Bandai valks, dunno ^^ so they are out of the question hehe. But Thanks!

the 1st release of the 1/48 line (hikaru 1a) has the following problems:

wing flaps tend to fall off easily

nose cone not as secure

front landing bay doors are tricky to remove

the 1st relase of the 1s type fixed the wing flap issue.

The 1a max type introduced the following fixes:

rails on the nose cone to make it more secure

design change to the landing bay doors to make them easier to open.

Also introduced is a redesigned head rest on the pilots chair, it now has a curved headrest compared to the original which was flat across.

All subsequent releases of all variants have the same fixes.

The only outstanding QC issue would be on the 1s type occassionaly shipping with skewed skull emblems.

All 1/48's have somewhat fragile back pack hinges, so as many have mentioned, care should be shown with that part, particualrly while installing the fast packs. Though, it's hardly as fragile as some would have you believe. there are several disaster survival stories out there, here's mine: my 1s with fast packs rolled off my dresser and fell about two feet on to a nightstand and the fell again on to carpet, nothing broken.

There are no issues with the gunpod other than the gunstrap being fussy.

So, as long as you're buying re-releases, you have nothing to worry about.

Edited by eugimon

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00018 - VF-1S Roy (Movie and TV series) / + Hik (post Roy in the tv series).

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00021 - Strike Fast Packs. (the colour in the pic is not correct, it's not blue lol)

These 2 should be your first 2 purchases, you can't go wrong with them.

Wether your a fan of the original tv series or DYRL? movie, this is the Valkyrie to buy first time everytime.

And, eventually, like all of us, you can't stop at 1 Valk, you will probably succomb to another...

I recommend Hikaru's TV series VF-1J - http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00025

AND, you won't stop there.. - http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00040 - Armorrrrrrrrrrrr

Ohh, and if you want the YF-19 grab the Fold Booster combo set, it has all the fixes as people have mentioned.

I can't recommend the VF-0's at the moment, wait a while longer for re-issues.

Welcome to our madness. Make sure you let us know and share what you decided on! :)

btw i listed all these on HLJ.com as i'm not in the US and they are generally cheaper to buy/ship online from.

If your in the US you might find a cheaper deal, but have fun trying.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

For more reviews and info on the toys (Shameless Plug, I've been doing them a lot lately) click the link in my sig! To help you on your quest, Here is a link to my 2nd Edition 1/48 post and it has photographic evidence of the changes between the 1st edition and the 2nd so you can better tell the two apart. After that, search around, there's lots of cool Macross stuff out there.

I'll also plug jenius' site. he takes nice clear pictures and his write ups are fair and well written. You won't get a fanboy blowing smoke up your arse and you won't get some zinc bot who hates all things plastic going on and on about how better the diecast stuff was/is.

@ruskiiVFaussie: Thanks for your recommendations. As you will see in my first post I also mentioned hlj.com. I'm from Europe so it's the store of my choice too (bought so much Figures there already lol). And in fact I thought of buying the armor and the super pack (but was shocked here about the blue colour lol). Now I think I will go with the super pack parts and the 1/48 VF-1S (but Hikaru's - should be as good as Roy's right? only another colour scheme) first. Armor will have to wait until I have more than one valk ^^

@jenius: Thanks for your review. It really proofed that the 1/48 are the best. But man... why all the colour schemes??? As a reader you wish to buy all of them too lol (you must be working for Yamato)

@eugimon: I followed your advice and read his review (he really does not work for Yamato?!)^^; And thanks for your comparison between the different releases and the hint with the back pack...

Oh and one soo noobish request oO - Maybe someone could post a picture of this back pack hinges :-P

@ruskiiVFaussie: Thanks for your recommendations. As you will see in my first post I also mentioned hlj.com. I'm from Europe so it's the store of my choice too (bought so much Figures there already lol). And in fact I thought of buying the armor and the super pack (but was shocked here about the blue colour lol). Now I think I will go with the super pack parts and the 1/48 VF-1S (but Hikaru's - should be as good as Roy's right? only another colour scheme) first. Armor will have to wait until I have more than one valk ^^

Ahh yeh sorry Lukas i missed where u said about HLJ.com. :D All good! So i take it your going with the Hikaru 1S?

It's my first 1/48 too, and fav, as i have DRYL? as priority and series after. ;) Roy as a character is second best to Hikaru imo.

I ordered the 1/48 VF-1S from Hikaru together with the super pack parts now. I'm really looking forward to it ^^ But should be here next week thanks to EMS shipping *yosh* although the super pack parts might take longer because they are backordered...

Thank you all for the help!!!

And I really would be grateful if someone could make or find a picture of the back pack hinges I should be careful with...

I ordered the 1/48 VF-1S from Hikaru together with the super pack parts now.

And I really would be grateful if someone could make or find a picture of the back pack hinges I should be careful with...

Excellent choice, my friend. You won't regret it.

Be careful of these guys when transforming, or adding FAST packs.

post-3171-1190734783_thumb.jpg

I ordered the 1/48 VF-1S from Hikaru together with the super pack parts now. I'm really looking forward to it ^^ But should be here next week thanks to EMS shipping *yosh* although the super pack parts might take longer because they are backordered...

Thank you all for the help!!!

Oh man...I wish I would have told you this sooner. When I first came to the boards last week...I wanted to purchase a 1/48 myself. When I mentioned that someone (I wish I could remember who now) told me that a good place to go for a REALLY good price was laftoys.com (lost and found toys). I got a REALLY good price on my Max 1/48. Also for the fast pack...if you are interested in picking up another for another 1/48 at any time. I got my super/strike parts on eBay for like $50 bones new. Look to there for there are more if you want more. GOOD LUCK.

LOL, I wish I worked for Yamato... it'd make this hobby a lot more affordable. Then again, if I worked for Yamato my reviews on all the other manufacturers' toys would probably be a bit skewed...

I was going to put a post up about replacing the 1/48's backpack part. Never got around to it but if you don't get some good pics soon I'll post some roughs from that post so you know what to be careful with. The most important thing to remember is just to get the triangle antenna bit collapsed before tucking the backpack up... this will make more sense later.

Thanks you 3. Thanks for the picture, for the good advices and don't worry misterryno, they don't have Hikaru or Roy in stock anyway ^^ hehe...

--edit--

I just thought of another question lol - Which base or which stand is best to display 1/48 scale valks? I've seen a clear white one with 3 pilars to put the valk in fighter mode on it. How are these ones called?

--edit 2--

I found the stand on hlj.com. It's called "FlexiDisplay 4-inch Display Stand" and it's made by "Lost and Found Toys". What do you think about them and what would I need? 4-inch or 6-inch?

Of course I'm open for other base and stand suggestions!

Edited by Lukas

Grab a Yamato Launch Arm Stand. Original colour (more canon to the movie). They are awesome. And you can re-create scenes from the movie (Hikaru prep-launching to assasinate.)

Even better is the Flexi-Stand displays from Lost & Found Toys. You will want 1 or 2 of these. The best! 6-inch being the tallest.

I find the 6-incher the best to start off with, and the others to accommodate other Valks at different heights for display.

Wait a sec i'll show you some really nifty pics of using both displays. ;D You can create some wicked poses with these.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Thanks you 3. Thanks for the picture, for the good advices and don't worry misterryno, they don't have Hikaru or Roy in stock anyway ^^ hehe...

--edit--

I just thought of another question lol - Which base or which stand is best to display 1/48 scale valks? I've seen a clear white one with 3 pilars to put the valk in fighter mode on it. How are these ones called?

--edit 2--

I found the stand on hlj.com. It's called "FlexiDisplay 4-inch Display Stand" and it's made by "Lost and Found Toys". What do you think about them and what would I need? 4-inch or 6-inch?

Of course I'm open for other base and stand suggestions!

I went ahead and purchased a 6 incher when I purchased my 1/48....it comes tomorrow.....I am SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!

ruskiiVFaussie, that banking YF-19 scares the crap out of me. Even though it's not mine, I keep thinking "OMG IT'S GONNA FALL! NOOOOOOoooooooooo......." :ph34r: That pose is awesome, even if it scares me. :)

addition: is your Hikaru pilot in the 1S Hikaru Strike valkyrie turning his head to look at the camera? Or is it just me?

Edited by Sumdumgai

ruskiiVFaussie, that banking YF-19 scares the crap out of me. Even though it's not mine, I keep thinking "OMG IT'S GONNA FALL! NOOOOOOoooooooooo......." :ph34r: That pose is awesome, even if it scares me. :)

addition: is your Hikaru pilot in the 1S Hikaru Strike valkyrie turning his head to look at the camera? Or is it just me?

lol yeah it's a mod i did. It's the rubber Hikaru pilot, and all i did was make a small incision in the back of the head and just turn away!

Yeah, it's scary, but i make sure it won't give way by checking certain things (small bumps, and door shutting tremors lol)

This is a 6 incher, an it was tricky to get all the poles to hold it in a skyward banking fashion, but i totally pulled it off.

I just made sure each peg was pushing in key areas to maintain balance.

It was really secure, but when my fold booster pack came it was way too heavy! :( So i had to change the pose.

The 21 will hold more authority over main display space anyways, so the 19 (only want one) will be in batts mode.

Thnanks... So I'll buy one flexi-stand and one from Yamato. ^^

Good choice! ;D :D

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Nah, these are the Yamato stickers that come with your Hikky 1/48.

This is my only completely stickered Valk 1/48. The others i have just placed the important ones on (UN Spacy kite etc.)

It makes it look sweet as, but you don't need all of them on for it to look kick ass.

Can't wait to see pics! An seeing you got some awesome stands coming, you have no excuse not to kick out some mighty poses!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

So the Yamato stickers are okay? I heard that they are cheap and that there are better ones out there ^^

Oh and for the poses... I'll kick out some mighty ones, once my stands arrive. But this could take some time because the Yamato stand will be in stock in November and the Flexi thing is backordered like the super back pack parts ^^;

Only my Hikaru Valk might be here by next week…

So the Yamato stickers are okay? I heard that they are cheap and that there are better ones out there ^^

Oh and for the poses... I'll kick out some mighty ones, once my stands arrive. But this could take some time because the Yamato stand will be in stock in November and the Flexi thing is backordered like the super back pack parts ^^;

Only my Hikaru Valk might be here by next week…

yamato stickers:

pros:

they're free

they stick real good

cons:

they have tons of trim

they're noticably thick

the graphics are in low resolution /hard to make out the lettering

color saturation could be better.

you can look here: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=23137 for ordering replacement decals and/or stickers. I personally haven't tried the new printer but Anasazi37's orginial works were very nice. You do have to cut the stickers out yourself which can be time consuming but the end result is worth it, imo.