More reasonable by todays technology?

I was just thinking about this the other day and I was wondering what everyone else thought.

Lets just say that the Air Force or Navy wanted a completley new, never seen or heard of fighter that was just light years beyond anything we have today, and if their options were the following:

VF-0

VF-1

YF-19

Now keep in mind that this is based off of what technology is available at the moment so were not even including gerwalk and battroid modes...just the fighter modes. But Im curious to know what everyone would pick as the "NEW" generation of US Fighter.

The reason I chose only those 3 were for good reasons. Well the VF-0 and VF-1 are already possible airframe ideas. Its basically a single seat F-14 with Mig-25 sized engines, thrust vectoring controls from the F-22, more square shape exhaust nozzles and the slanted tail fins of the F-18. And its also between the F-16 and F-18 in size.

tomcat_v1.jpg

The YF-19 is a little more tricky because no modern day fighter has the look and shape of it but one plane did come into mind

smpl6b1.jpg

The reason I chose that plane was because of its wings. Its already been proven that particular style of wing can and does work in normal flight and the YF-19 is loosley based around it. Obvously the Grumman X-29 pictured above is a lot smaller than the 19 but the basic shape can be achieved.

I invoke the name of David the Airplane guru. :) He'll know.

I say VF-22, even though it's not listed. Since it's much like the YF-23 Black Widow and the F-22 Raptor. Has much more stealthy features that could be used with today's technology (vs the other options you gave), has an internal mounted gun, and has internal missile pallets, bays, whatever.

The YF-19 is a little more tricky because no modern day fighter has the look and shape of it but one plane did come into mind

smpl6b1.jpg

The reason I chose that plane was because of its wings. Its already been proven that particular style of wing can and does work in normal flight and the YF-19 is loosley based around it. Obvously the Grumman X-29 pictured above is a lot smaller than the 19 but the basic shape can be achieved.

Don't forget the SU-47. :)

Well with todays technology the vf-1 and 0 without nuculear engines and transformation are very possible. The yf-19 even though it would be a strecth would be on the cutting edge of technology and would with a few more years of research also be very buildable with the thrust vectoring and forward swept wings (already on the experimental x-29 and su-47). The only real problems would be the missiles on the yf-19, unlike the vf-1 and 0 which have pylons, the yf-19 is mostly interior bays, I suppose it could hold 4 large missiles inside the bays on the legs but it couldnt hold the vast amount of missiles as seen in the anime (since I guess there arent micro missiles yet). Well, thats what I think about the matter, whenever you big airplane buffs get on to talk about this, im sure you will put my explanation to shame :lol: .

Edited by dizman

Well with todays technology the vf-1 and 0 without nuculear engines and transformation are very possible. The yf-19 even though it would be a strecth would be on the cutting edge of technology and would with a few more years of research also be very buildable with the thrust vectoring and forward swept wings (already on the experimental x-29 and su-47). The only real problems would be the missiles on the yf-19, unlike the vf-1 and 0 which have pylons, the yf-19 is mostly interior bays, I suppose it could hold 4 large missiles inside the bays on the legs but it couldnt hold the vast amount of missiles as seen in the anime (since I guess there arent micro missiles yet). Well, thats what I think about the matter, whenever you big airplane buffs get on to talk about this, im sure you will put my explanation to shame :lol: .

What about the 19's 360 view in the cockpit? Ive often wondered how that could be achieved

What about the 19's 360 view in the cockpit? Ive often wondered how that could be achieved

Projectors.

It's actually been done in an arcade setting.

I can't find a link right now, but they used a hemispherical screen in front of the player, and a projector mounted right above the seat.

Back view is harder, but not impossible. EASIEST way would be raising the seat assembly into a spherical chamber, and using a handful of projectors to get near-360 coverage(You can't see under your chair, so who cares if there's no screen down there?).

Feed would be provided by several cameras mounted in the fuselage, possibly with computer interpolation for perspective correction and adjusting image overlap for a seamless sphere.

Ejecting would be an interesting engineering problem, though...

Well with any of the designs their would have to be a little compromise. I myself was in the Navy in aviation (unfortuantely got my DD214 due to medical) and as much as I would rather see the VF-1 or VF-0 as they are similar to the F-14 series the 19 is just as plausable and I would personaly rather fly it. Plus the VF-1 and VF-0 designs are moving away from the designs the military is aiming for in general these days.

Edited by Sorata