Why hasnt Hasegawa...

Valkyrie addict

100% conjuncture on my part, but I'm guessing the VF-1 Battroid kits did not sell as well as they hoped, certainly not as well as the VF-1 fighter kits.

Perhaps the Macross Plus YF-19 and YF-21 fighter mode kits did also not sell as well as they expected, despite being fantastic kits (although a bit too skinny from the side) IMO.

I think that it all comes down to cold hard profit. Hasegawa probably doesn't think there would be a good enough return on the expenses needed to make Macross Plus Battroids. Same applies to Gerwalks from any series.

Graham

Perhaps the Macross Plus YF-19 and YF-21 fighter mode kits did also not sell as well as they expected, despite being fantastic kits (although a bit too skinny from the side) IMO.Graham

Graham, Im sure you know what you're talking about, being a revered elder statesman and all :lol:

but, I humbly point out that both those fighter kits Hasegawa make are frequently sold out and restocked by HLJ. Now I know they are only a small drop in the ocean, but I think they are indicative, and I know there aren't many other models that fill that niche. I would be surprised if they were unsuccessful for Hasegawa. The battroids I can understand.

Hasegawa honestly seems to make most of their money from repacking old kits with new decals, then doubling the price. That won't work as well for battroids, as most "special schemes" are intended for (and only look attractive in) fighter mode. Look at the VF-1: Any tailfin markings are invisible in battroid mode.

Nowadays, Hasegawa has many kits that aren't consistently available, even if they had been for years on end---said kit will only be released once or twice a year, in limited quantities, as a limited edition kit with special decals. And it'll cost 2 or 3 times what the "basic" version of the kit did. But if you really need a few more F-18 kits for the raw plastic only, that's the only way to get them.

It's how they've been for military planes for years now, and they probably want to do the same with Macross.

Everytime I go to Japan the stores seem to be sold out of YF19 kits Except the time when the kit was first made available, then the stores had loads of them. Shame I never got on then.

I agree though they should explore the rest of the options they have. A Gerwalk kit can be made from a Battroid and Fighter kit and a bit of bashing of a couple of bits. They must know and Im sure read Dengeki and Hobby Japan. An official kit would be easy you only need make the bashed parts and supply only the parts needed from the Battroid and fighter to do the rest.

Bring on a 1/72 VF17, Dont make me have to resort to making one.

• 2 weeks later...
Wave did make a 1/72 battroid VF17D/S but it would take a bit of work to make it a gerwalk or fighter.

Can see them from time to time on ebay.

Yeah and you`ll notice that I have bought nearly all of the 1/72 wave kits on evilbay in recent history. I have multipuls of each one now.

My VF17 fighter will happen with or with out Hasegawa. I just need to clear the project decks a bit. Im gonna do some molding and then mod the casts and see how things go. If it works out I may farm it out to someone better than me at casting. It`s a while off for now though.

Edited by big F

"Where have all the VF-17's gone?" can be a new song.

I thought about using a 1/72 F-117 but they are too angular when compared to the Bandai 1/65 and 1/144 VF-17 fighters which are very rounded. Plus the tail section is all wrong.

A pure scratch build based on the battroid will be easier in the end.

But then easy is relative.