Isopropyl rubbing alcohol

CdnShockwave

I got some Takatoys stickers and the instructions say to use isopropilic alcohol to clean the valk's surface. Now, I'm no chemist so I just want to make sure. Is isopropyl rubbing alcohol what I'm looking for? I went to the drug store and picked up a bottle. Just wanted to confirm that isopropilic and isopropyl are the same thing or not. Can anyone help me out?

Second that. 90%+ is basically the world's best paint stripper for "plastic toys painted in China"---like valks. But it usually won't harm any plastic in the slightest--I've soaked parts in 99% for days.

I have a 1 gallon can of 90%, as David says its great for stripping paint and cleaning brushes and Air Brushes.

Love the stuff.

I couldn't work without it! Styrene is softer than ABS and I've have no problems with it ever. Go easy on the paint. 70% can thin off some dried paint if you let it soak too long. - MT

Just a question, is this stuff safe to use on an old 1/55? I have a strike valkyrie and some one panel lined it. I really don't like the effect that much and have been wanting to remove it, but I've been worried about damaging the plastic in the process.

Like I was saying abaove, you're good with ABS (the chunky monkies are made of that). A Q-Tip soaked in it should get down there. Just don't let it soak in any one spot at a time or the paint can sometimes lighten up. Be sure to use good ole 70% (grocery store/pharmacy), not the industrial 90% and you'll be very safe. -MT

Like I was saying abaove, you're good with ABS (the chunky monkies are made of that). A Q-Tip soaked in it should get down there. Just don't let it soak in any one spot at a time or the paint can sometimes lighten up. Be sure to use good ole 70% (grocery store/pharmacy), not the industrial 90% and you'll be very safe. -MT

Cool. In the past I've used other forms of alchohol that have damaged the plastic. So I just wanted to be extra sure.

Cool. In the past I've used other forms of alchohol that have damaged the plastic. So I just wanted to be extra sure.

Yeah the Q-tip method is the best way. I have used 90% on a few of my chunkies but these have all been yellowed and destined to be customed. Otherwise just use 70% or less. 90% on a Q-tip removes paint nicely on Transformers, So you can paint em properly.

Generally rubbing alcohol is safe on toys, although it can craze vacuum metalized parts (like on Transformer trans-metals, or old Voltron type toys). You can always cut it with water just to be safe. I always dilute it first and then test in a hidden area. If it isn't strong enough, then step up to full strength. Incidentally, HP recommends a 50/50 isopropyl and water mix to clean their lap-top screens, safer than the ammonia and/or phosphates in most window cleaners. Just don't use denatured alcohol by mistake, that stuff is a serious solvent! Great for fueling those little backpacking stoves you can make out of a Pepsi can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_can_stove

That's cool! Now I want to go hiking just to try one out :D

The alcohol should not harm the chrome plating, but will definitely take off tinting like gold colors right away. Usually they plate with chrome and then coat with a tint to colorize it. The tiniting will come of with detergent too. My wife cleaned pine sap off some gold glass, chromed Christmas ornaments. Now they're silver and not gold colored. - MT