Removing Skull Emblems on Stealth VF-1J

hutch

theres no such thing as perfect matching paint.

paint is paint, colored plastic is colored plastic.

you'll have to mix your own and hope to get the color as close as possible.

just wondering,

but why would you spend an large sum of money to buy an LV1, only to mod it out?

why not just buy a cheap valk and paint the whole thing the way you want it?

just wondering,

but why would you spend an large sum of money to buy an LV1, only to mod it out?

Thanks for the tip. I thought that maybe someone who had customized a Stealth had used something and could give me some help. I wouldn't think I'm the first person who's customized a stealth for the Takatoys stickers, but I guess I could be.

If nobody did it, why are there custom stickers out there for it? Takatoys and Robographix both have LV1 sets...I can't be the first person who thought about putting custom stickers on a LV1, can I?

Maybe I'm wrong and everybody is just customizing their entire valks...

I guess when I look at it there's SIGNIFICANTLY less work (and money) involved. I can learn how to customize an entire valk, and then do it, ruin a couple (or more)(probably $130 each) until I'm finally good, OR I could paint part of a tail fin and put a custom sticker on it. In the end, I'd end up spending probably $450 going that route. Not to mention spending the money on an airbrush and all the other tools to customize...

Is there such a thing as a 'cheap valk'? I haven't run into one of those yet. Most people are charging $80+ even for loose CF's...

Yes, there are custom LV1s out there but the cost is so high for one you could buy 3 or 4 VF-1A in DYRL Colors and then do a repaint with an airbrush or spray can.

Standard colors light and dark aircraft gray, and sea gray would be a good place to start.

If you use decals for your custom and not stickers the valk will need to be clear coated anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Stealth. Part of the skull is on the gray leading edge of the tail fin.

If someone who has customized a Stealth could answer back and let me know what they might have used to remove the painted skull emblem from that part, or perhaps covered it up with a paint, perhaps they would be willing to share the type of paint they used.

Edited by hutch

just wondering,

True

Sorry, I didn't at all mean it to come off that way.

I took your original comments to be quite demeaning (incorrectly, obviously) to me "paint is paint, colored plastic is colored plastic" didn't seem to me to really answer my question in any way at all.

I think even a caveman could figure out that I could mix the paint to match the plastic. I guess I thought somebody might be able to say "I used testors #004 and #007, try mixing those and see if you can get it right" or "try using a little bit of thinner x" or share some other starting point but again, as I said maybe this particular custom is not as common as I thought.

I did try the search function and it didn't return any hits. Once I had done that I put up this topic. Perhaps I misused the search function.

I sincerely apologize to all involved, especially dnd.

Takatoys solution will work perfectly well for the section of the skull on the black portion of the tail fin, but not so much the gray.

I will attempt to use the search function again to try to find an answer for paint removal or paint matching.

Somebody turn out the lights.

Edited by hutch

you see how easy it is to be nice. :)

and for that, here ya go. theres a bunch of old ones to weed through....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...e=paint+removal

but in case you need more recent threads, check these out first...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...l=paint+removal

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...l=paint+removal

no apologies necessary.

people tones are hard to determine when you're reading something on your screen.

looking back i guess my "paint is paint" comment seems demeaning even though it wasn't intended that way.

no harm no foul. :)

Kinda adds weight to the requests to Yamato that they dont Tampo print anything on the Valks and just give us a good set of transfer decals or stickers. At least that way it would make it easier to custom.

Wow, I can't believe that just one simple question turned into a debate this big :)

Blame on Yamato, why tampo printing the skull on the tail fins when it was not on the heat shield :angry:

Well, I did not remember that part of the skull emblem was on the gray part. The best solution is paint matching. It is only a small portion that you need to fill, you don't need to paint the whole fin.

From a drawing of Model Graphix, the tail fin emblem should go like this:

IPB Image

I was not bothered by the extra skull emblem on the gray because I have the strike stealth, but I concealed the skull emblem anyways applying the proper marking. Buy the fastpack for the stealth, it looks a lot better:

IPB Image

do not disturb = a kinder, gentler haterist. :)

If someone who has customized a Stealth could answer back and let me know what they might have used to remove the painted skull emblem from that part, or perhaps covered it up with a paint, perhaps they would be willing to share the type of paint they used.

Back on topic, I used Tamiya "TS-6 Matt Black"-- you can cheat and use a little overspray on the surrounding areas to blend the different textured/appearing blacks.

post-1617-1170831902_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

• 2 weeks later...