Hi, I'm new and need a little help

SharkyMcshark

Hello all. I'm completely new to the world of Macross (with my only experience being the game Robotech Battlecry, which I own on GameCube), and while I feel I probably wont have any time to get into the related fiction (Tv series and other forms...) I would most certainly like to get into collecting the toys. I have been collecting Transformers now for over 14 years (since I was 3 years old) and, when asked what I wanted for my brithday this year (in two weeks) decided to go for something a little bit new. While browing BigBadToyStore I came across this:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

These caight my interest as not only are they wihtin the budget that I'd impose on my family for my birthday, bt they also look pretty cool. As I'm not very experienced (or experienced at all) in Macross I'm not going to go for any of the larger scale toys, but these 1:100s look pretty neat. But seeing as I know nothing of them I've got a few questions

1. Pretty Simple: Are they worth it?

2. Whats the community vibe when it comes to these (I searched and searched but could find no reviews of them so I've got no opinions to go off as yet, just that they look shiny in the pics)

3. A pretty newb question: How many parts, if any, have to be removed and stored aside when changing from guardian (I THINK thats the robot) to Jet mode (I THINK its called Veritech or something, but yeah...) (I mean like do the fists have to be kept seperately etc etc etc)

Thankyou all in advance

Sharky

Edited by SharkyMcshark

I was considering buying some of the 1/100's to pose next to my 1/100 Koenig, but when I compare them to the 1/48 or even 1/60 VF-1's I can't justify the expense. I would recommend that you try to buy a 1/60 or 1/48 scale VF-1 by Yamato, although I sense you're more of a Robotech fan, so maybe the Toynami 1/100's are right for you. Besides, they're cheap...

They're probably out of the price range anyway, and I'd rather not introduce this young collector to Yamato's "infamous" quality control. Heck, I think I'm gonna' buy those 100's after all. The King needs some company...

Hey thanks for all the input so far guys and girls!

Im leaning ever closer to purchasing there. However, if I changed my mind what could I get for around the same price that is viewed as generally "good" (the price for the set of three is 60 American) (Yes I know "good" is broad, sorry about that)

On a side note can anyone enlighten me as to roughly how big/long each scale is? (1:100, 1:60, 1:55, 1:48, 1:144 etc etc)

LOL this guy is lucky. I wish kensei could hook me up. :(

I have the 1/100 sets on the way from Kevin at VE. I used to have them in my loot at bigbadtoystore, but I cancelled them.

I was in the same boat as SharkyMcshark was at this time last year. I ended up going for the 1/48. I'll let you know if I think the 1/100s are worth it, Sharky.

I got the sets today. I don't know what to think of these things. Fighter mode is super craptastic, but battroid is pretty neat.

If you can't afford the 1/48 or don't want to spend that kind of money on toys, then go ahead and buy these. If I hadn't bought/held/seen the 1/48 before I had these I think I would enjoy them a lot more. As it is... man I really don't know whether I like it or not.

I only opened DYRL Max. I'll open the rest if they announce a series 3 at Toy Fair. Or if I hear anything about the fast packs.

I *was* going to switch to collecting these instead of the Yammies due to cost issues, but that changed quick. I'll just bite the bullet and buy the ultimate representation of a Valk.

? Wow. Yeah I am. Well hit me up if you want anything. Nice to see another Aussie (from Perth of all places, not the freaky eastern states :p) on the boards.

I like totally resent that! :ph34r: Perthys....

As for the 1/100 toycrappys, they are cool!

I proudly display them (in Battroid mode) next to my 1/48s. I'll post some pics later.

One thing i don't like about the 1/100s is fighter mode.

I gots Roy's and Hikaru's 1J. really well done for Battroid mode.

You really should save up and get atleast 1 1/48.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I just got my first 1/100 today (after owning a Yamato 1/60 for a few months and two 1/55 MPCs for a little less than that) and honestly i'm not very impressed at all.

1. Pretty Simple: Are they worth it?

Well, that depends. You can get one Yamato 1/60 (probably a VF-1A Hikaru) for the same price (or a little more) as the set. Personally, I'm glad i only bought one because in terms of quality it's not that great.

When i first took out my Yamato, i was like, "this is really cool". It had a nice beefy weight to it and it looked really good. When i opened my 1/100, i was quite disapointed. Sure i heard it wasn't that great, but i thought it couldn't be that bad...but it is :( .

It's made with really cheap plasic, the instructions suck, and the arms and legs fall off all the time (i think they're supposed to come off, but they fall off all the time) :angry:

On the up side it comes with a display stand.

So, it's pretty much a matter of quantity over quality. If you want to start a little display collection, you could probably be okay with these. However, if you want a really cool, durable toy that you can display and play with, go with a 1/60.

2. Whats the community vibe when it comes to these (I searched and searched but could find no reviews of them so I've got no opinions to go off as yet, just that they look shiny in the pics)

look in the super-big thread

3. A pretty newb question: How many parts, if any, have to be removed and stored aside when changing from guardian (I THINK thats the robot) to Jet mode (I THINK its called Veritech or something, but yeah...) (I mean like do the fists have to be kept seperately etc etc etc)

You have to take off and store the hands while the toy is in fighter mode. You also have to change the hands if you want a open hand, fist, or to hold the gunpod. (but, everything else will fall off too)