Macross Music on Attack of the Show

jwinges

My Bad. But wasn't that same music used in macross? I can't remember the japanese title though. I thought that was one of the few that were the same.

I don't think any of the original music made it to Robotech. If anything, only the sound effects survived the transition.

Pity, too. You won't exactly catch me playing the old Iijima tunes in my car, but they were at least vastly superior to the cat-in-heat affront to the senses that Macek commissioned to replace them in Robotech.

"To be in loooovveee ...." (shudder)

I just threw up in my mouth a little there.

I don't think any of the original music made it to Robotech. If anything, only the sound effects survived the transition.

Pity, too. You won't exactly catch me playing the old Iijima tunes in my car, but they were at least vastly superior to the cat-in-heat affront to the senses that Macek commissioned to replace them in Robotech.

"To be in loooovveee ...." (shudder)

I just threw up in my mouth a little there.

My Boyfriend is a Pilot made it through. I remeber being quite surprised when Kate karaoke'd that in M+ (I knew the difference, but still hadn't seen the original Macross)

My Boyfriend is a Pilot made it through. I remeber being quite surprised when Kate karaoke'd that in M+ (I knew the difference, but still hadn't seen the original Macross)

It made it into MANGA's rendition of Macross Plus in English, but it still never made it to Robotech. The only thing that made it into Robotech was "My Boyfriend is a pilot" as Minmay's Debute Album title.

Harmony Gold never ONCE introduced any of the original music into Robotech...

Honestly (even though I love and prefer the lyrical songs in Macross over Robotech), I don't think "To Be In Love" is that bad of a song. I dunno if that's because I loved Robotech when I was but a kid or what...but I don't think it's that bad. It is, however, the only song I like by Reba West.

As far as the other music goes in Robotech. There are 5 or so BGM titles in Robotech that I really, really like. Like "Broken Heart," "Reconstruction Blues," "Catastrophe," "Main Theme (Robotech OP song)" to name a few.

Edited by Oihan

The only thing that made it into Robotech was "My Boyfriend is a pilot" as Minmay's Debute Album title.

To anyone who didn't catch the nuance there: The title is more or less the same (translated from "Watashi no Kare wa Pairotto"), but the music wasn't in any way re-used by Macek for Robotech.

And I'm sorry, Oihan, but the music in Robotech blew goats. Then again, people cringe when I put on Zappa, so there you go. Different strokes, I suppose. :)

I am a full-fledged Macross fan but when I hear Macross' music I frown because it's moody and depressing and dark like the series (as is most Japan BGM of the era). Robotech music puts an unerasable smile on my face. I grew up with 80s cheese and I can't stop gorging on it.

I've rarely seen an anime from the 80s that was later converted (or butchered) in some form or another into an English dubbed cartoon...in which the Japanese soundtrack was actually more entertaining, exhilerating, or more creative than the new soundtrack some random joe studio artist put together for the English version. Something about 80s Japanese sci-fi animes all had very brooding and utterly boring and uncreative (perhaps you would call it subtle) BGM.

That whole 80s cartoon scene in America had some great composers and talent in it.

Edited by ComicKaze