Need Everyone's Help With Color Selection

MechTech

Hey EVERYONE, I need your help!

All you artists out there that have been studying Macross art, (some of us for years now), I'm finally getting to the point where I need to start painting the LOWER portion of my 6 foot long Daedalus model: 6 Foot Daedalus Build Up

IF the polling buttons work, (the polling buttons didn't work) the choices are:

1) The traditonal Blue/Red/white scheme from the TV series

------------------------------ OR ---------------------------

2) A contemporary naval scheme (like the low viz schemes on the valks, not canon, but cool).

The attached picture has a ROUGHLY colored in contemporary naval version for color comparison.

[attachmentid=38294] ROUGH color comparison of the two.

Here's a 1/10th scale model of the IJN Battleship Yamato to give you more "contemporary" colors that I'd use for that scheme. Battleship Yamato Colors

[attachmentid=38296] [attachmentid=38297] Same actual colors used before - light gray and ruddy brown.

Either version will probably have an asphalt/dark gray colored covering like on most ship flight decks.

Feel free to post other visual aids or suggetions. I'm really stuck on what color scheme to use. Thanks for your time and inputs with helping me build this project! - MT

post-2518-1163975192_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1163977954_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1163977986_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

I will dare to be different.

Since the ship is supposed to be a submersible vessel, I'd suggest going with the blue on the main part of the hull (similar to submarines) and with the grey on the ramp hatch at the front (white is too visible underwater).

Hi MechTech,

I've been lurking in your other thread. Awesome work there!

Just a hunch but I'd say you prefer the modern naval scheme. While not canon, it's still very cool and your Daedalus *IS* your creation anyway, so paint it the way you like it. It's not part of a cartoon nor movie, nor advertisement for a colorful toy so it doesn't have to match if you don't want it to. In fact, now that it's "real", you could paint it as if it *IS* a real vessel.

Another option would be make a slight compromise and mix in some dark blue w/ the lt/med. grey on the hull so you satisfy both camps.

Just my 2 cents (1 pence)... I think you should paint it the way you like it. and great work there. Looking forward to seeing the completed project! :)

I would guess it is actualy supposed to be the grey the JSDF uses on its destroyers a little darker and a little bluer then "haze gray" but not blue. Look at Yamato, sure you could argue that it is now a space cruiser five hundred plus years after it sank, but it isn't gray in the anime like the real ship is. Remeber these are early production animes we are dealing with. They used something like 16 pre mixed colors for everything. Go grey!!!

Guest Bromgrev

I think people might be a little put off by the fact that the 'realistic' colour scheme is not very tidy in your photo-chop. :p

I don't think I've ever painted a model of a fictional vehicle in canon colours. In fact, I do far worse things to them than merely changing the colour scheme ... :ph34r:

Well I would prefer the orginal colors myself. Not sure if this would work, but paint half the oginial and the other half the contemporary. You can go with what looks better or just post pics and let us decide again. By the way i do pop in to look at pics as you post the building. I must say you are amazing with what you have done so far, which i could be there to see the sea trials.

Cruel Angel's Thesis