It Is Finally Here...

wwwmwww

The D'stance has the arm "fill" the area between the top of the plane and the belly plates. They actually form the sides of the fuselage, rather than being suspended between the upper fuselage and the belly plates. There is 1/20 the gappage that the Yamato has around the arms. And the wingroot is sculpted just so that the shoulder "ball" rotates completely away, actually forming part of the underside of the wing. A little tweaking of the belly plate edges, a little tweaking of the undersides of the wingroots---almost gap-less. I think a key point is that the arms are "fairly constant in diameter and cross-section".

Try this one for a shoulder (and arms) pic in fighter mode: http://park1.wakwak.com/~jasshy/CG/21/yf21_fi057.jpg

Many more pics of a completed D'stance here: http://park1.wakwak.com/~jasshy/yf21.html

Another key thing is the bicep---while every YF-21 has the forearm slide down over the hands to cover them up as well as lengthen the arm for fighter mode, the D'stance also has the same thing happen to the bicep.

Frankly, the D'stance blows away any other YF-21 in the "arms in fighter mode" department. The belly plates and arms are just sculpted to fit together so well. It's not perfect, but there's no way it ever could be in real life. Plus a bit different transformation compared to SHE and Yamato---one that follows Kawamori's drawing of the YF-21 transformation closer---check the shoulder drawings.

Basically, the Yamato has the arms "hanging around near the belly plates" with huge gaps on all sides, while the D'stance actually has them FORM the sides of the fuselage and sealing off the belly plates, as they should. Again--there's no way to have the arms form perfectly flush fuselage sides like Kawamori draws without serious anime magic, but D'stance came so close most people are very impressed.

::EDIT:: OK, here I've attached the previous pic but I outlined the "shoulder flattened out" in red to show how it fits---a chunk of the wing is actually carved out to make room for it---the "interior" of the shoulder actually makes part of the wing underside in the D'stance. Also, you can see the hollowed-out area in the instructions well--Step 6 (lower left part of the first page of instructions Vinnie posted) right above the "P.CAP" notation.

Graham--you've got to admit the D'stance does a far better job at integrating the arms and the belly plates than the SHE or Yamato. And it does it all while still having the legs fit inside that very "skinny" belly bay. The FP Yamato YF-21 had a thinner belly by folding the legs sideways, but the D'stance does that even more so, and eliminates the "open sides" look. And frankly still looks better in every aspect of every mode. (Asides from the head "crown"--but that's easily rectified--just do like the original Yamato did for that)

I am more impressed by the D'stance YF-21, than any other "transforming mecha" toy or kit ever. To take Kawamori's "impossible" arms-turn-into-sides-of-the-fuselage transformation and do it that well while retaining a working leg/belly-plate transformation is nothing short of amazing.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Yes, and several people have come to the conclusion that that is basically "sculptor's personal artistic choice"--there's no reason to do it, every other YF-21 can do a great 3D representation of Kawamori's drawing. Why the D'stance does the head/neck so differently---gotta be how the sculptor wants it, or there's some mechanical/transformational reason we can't figure out that doesn't crop up on other YF-21's.

And as always--no need to copy the worst part of the model--just do the arms (and legs!) and we'd have a great YF-21. Gerwalk mode really shows off how well D'stance did the legs.

You know Carl, I don't know why you didn't just ask LordKungFu about this, I hear he has 100 of these in a warehouse in a super secret Southern California location next to his imported Italian marble.

Just joshin' of course. It's too bad there aren't "rare collectible groupies" 'cause man, you'd be swimmin' in it. That's my way of expressing jealousy. Congratulations, any plans for what will become your next holy grail?

Argh! Finally I see Shawn's post on the boards after about a year +?

427983[/snapback]

He's got a girl in his life now if you are wondering what happened to him. Though he tells me she is very supportive and trying to encouage him to get back into MacrossWorld. I sure hope he does...

Carl

You know Carl, I don't know why you didn't just ask LordKungFu about this, I hear he has 100 of these in a warehouse in a super secret Southern California location next to his imported Italian marble.

Is he the guy that claims to have 100 of so of every Yamato 1:48 ever made. I saw that post a while back. He never did back that up with pictures did he? I just don't know what to think of that... is he generally believed around here? I tend to think if he could afford to get 1000+ Yamatos into that warehouse he sould be able to get 1 camera in there too.

Just joshin' of course.  It's too bad there aren't "rare collectible groupies" 'cause man, you'd be swimmin' in it.  That's my way of expressing jealousy.  Congratulations, any plans for what will become your next holy grail?

427947[/snapback]

Oh I'll propably need to lay low for a while to keep the wife happy. :)

Something I'd like to get eventually is the SWITCHBLADE 1:100 YF-19 1:100 but I've passed on it before and haven't actively been looking for it.

http://www.geocities.com/regult/wonderfest8.html

I'd also like to someday get a complete set of ALL (including event only) Hasegawa macross kits. I was keeping up with this till TI laid me off and I haven't picked the ball back up yet.

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

My reply must have gotten lost. Anyways--thanks for the scans, and a question:

Are all the polycaps, screws etc included, or are the pics for reference as to what to buy?

I've got most of the polycaps and I don't think any screws. I'll take some more pics of what was included. As to what was originally included I'm not sure. The pics do strike me as a reference telling the owner what he needs to buy. It's gone through two sets of hands before getting to me so I think what I do have may have been added by one or the other of the previous owners.

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww