Newtype Magazine Poll For Top 100 Anime

kensei

Unless I missed it, I'm surprised that any incarnation of Ruroni Kenshin didn't make the list.

425171[/snapback]

Yes, you would think that a series like RK would be on the list considering it has 20-some volumes of manga, 90+ episodes, 2 OAV series, and loads of artwork would have made it to the list...blame popular culture.

425228[/snapback]

Thats nothing in the sea of anime. Theres dozens of shows with more than 500 episodes and scores more volumes of Manga.

I think you guys should realise, as has already been said, this is a Japanese poll and whats popular at your Western Anime Club might not always be whats popular or what has been popular with fans in Japan.

Dragonball Z, Steamboy, RahXephon, New Mobile Report Gundam W, Sailor Moon...gawd there's some high ranked crap on that list. 

Um, you do know how popular DBZ was in Japan and Asia.??? It was a great show imo but whatever your opinion most Japanese kids of the last generation grew up together with Goku (Goku and his buddies got older as the show went on). Of course its on the list. Leaving it off would be like leaving the Simpsons of a top 100 most loved American cartoons.. :rolleyes:

Gundam SEED was all right. Not Seed Destiny. Problem is, they linked the two together.

Now, Gundam Wing with it's Turkey Gundam, now that didn't even deserve to be anywhere near the top 100...

425161[/snapback]

I'll grant SEED was passable, what little I saw. But then again, this is a top list and "alright" doesn't cut it IMO. Defeats the whole purpose of a "top" list :)

Dragonball Z, Steamboy, RahXephon, New Mobile Report Gundam W, Sailor Moon...gawd there's some high ranked crap on that list. 

Um, you do know how popular DBZ was in Japan and Asia.??? It was a great show imo but whatever your opinion most Japanese kids of the last generation grew up together with Goku (Goku and his buddies got older as the show went on). Of course its on the list. Leaving it off would be like leaving the Simpsons of a top 100 most loved American cartoons.. :rolleyes:

425284[/snapback]

Uh, the high ranking on that list is my whole problem the Newtype Top 100. If you'd bother to notice, I never wrote Dragonball Z didn't deserve inclusion (that's a whole other matter), only that it's ranked ridiculously high and over far better anime. How about a nice follow up to Dragonball Z/The Simpsons analogy to help hammer the point home. Titanic is the most popular and financially successful motion picture of all time. It must come as some surprise to learn that Titanic does NOT appear on the IMDB Top 250, nor does Titanic find itself included on the AFI 100 Greatest Films of All Time. Popularity does not equal quality, a fact Newtype should learn to appreciate. Go roll your eyes at them.

I think you guys should realise, as has already been said, this is a Japanese poll and whats popular at your Western Anime Club might not always be whats popular or what has been popular with fans in Japan.

425283[/snapback]

I'm not talking about if this is a Japanese poll or not. I haven't even mentioned that nor have I cared. By looking at most of the series listed, the first thing that popped in my head was, these are all roughly current popular series. As I said, popular culture. What's in season now.

Unless I missed it, I'm surprised that any incarnation of Ruroni Kenshin didn't make the list.

425171[/snapback]

Yes, you would think that a series like RK would be on the list considering it has 20-some volumes of manga, 90+ episodes, 2 OAV series, and loads of artwork would have made it to the list...blame popular culture.

425228[/snapback]

Thats nothing in the sea of anime. Theres dozens of shows with more than 500 episodes and scores more volumes of Manga.

425283[/snapback]

It seems as though you believe that we here at mac world don't know a lot about other anime and the longevity or the popularity of them in japanese or asian culture. we aren't as ignorant or uneducated as you may think. The general statement being made on this page is that most of the things list are not really what a rational person who loves anime would consider being the top overall. I don't believe that Gundam SEED should be at the top, i do believe macross should be higher, and that a form of samurai x should have been included. A lot of us here are older than your average american fan. Most of the age range goes from early 20's to early 40's, so most of us have seen a lot in our day that wasn't translated or adapted by american media. Many of us have spent time over in japan and other asian countries, and many are still there. Give us more credit than you have. I can tell by the whole Western Anime Club or whatever you mentioned you are obviously misinformed by other sites that you may have frequented about the individuals here on this site. that is all i have to say, that and that the Devilman OVA should still be on a list of top anime somewhere.

Considering how many anime series have been released in Japan, it's still remarkable that SDF Macross made the top 100. Hey at least Macross 7 has been forgotten about lol.

425171[/snapback]

Me too. Especially the Kyoto arc and the OVAs. That extremely disappoints me, for a series that acutally had some substance, didn't make it to the top 100.

Gundam SEED was all right. Not Seed Destiny. Problem is, they linked the two together.

Now, Gundam Wing with it's Turkey Gundam, now that didn't even deserve to be anywhere near the top 100...

425161[/snapback]

I'll grant SEED was passable, what little I saw. But then again, this is a top list and "alright" doesn't cut it IMO. Defeats the whole purpose of a "top" list :)

425294[/snapback]

Well then I'll reword it. SEED was an excellent series. By the reasoning that you showed me, then most of the stuff shouldn't be on there then, much like your opinion with Dragonball Z. Look at it. Cardkaptor Sakura, Pokemon, Naruto...it's all bad.

Everyone's made some good points, but after looking through the list myself i noticed some other notables that they forgot... chief among them Escaflowne! How in the world could that not have broken the top 100? And Gungrave come on!?

Everyone's made some good points, but after looking through the list myself i noticed some other notables that they forgot... chief among them Escaflowne!  How in the world could that not have broken the top 100?  And Gungrave come on!?

425393[/snapback]

I agree about Escaflowne. If it was aired on TV prior to Evangelion in Japan, I'm sure people would have paid more attention to it. As it was, it was simply overshadowed by the HUGE Evangelion fever that swept Japan around that time.

Well then I'll reword it. SEED was an excellent series. By the reasoning that you showed me, then most of the stuff shouldn't be on there then, much like your opinion with Dragonball Z. Look at it. Cardkaptor Sakura, Pokemon, Naruto...it's all bad.

425384[/snapback]

Actually, my main beef with the list is ranking order. Determining what should or should not be on the list is a whole other matter entirely. While I'm not rabid enough to claim SDF Macross as the number one slot, it should have easily been in the top 50. Also, this is anime we're talking about, so naturally there's a lack of productions in the humanities in the industry. Inclusion of a large number of childrens shows is inevitable.

But I digress, I'm glad you found SEED so amazing, but I'd argue strongly that it doesn't deserve any top spot or high ranking. Not by a long shot. But that is just an opinion afterall :)

425384[/snapback]

Actually, my main beef with the list is ranking order. Determining what should or should not be on the list is a whole other matter entirely. While I'm not rabid enough to claim SDF Macross as the number one slot, it should have easily been in the top 50. Also, this is anime we're talking about, so naturally there's a lack of productions in the humanities in the industry. Inclusion of a large number of childrens shows is inevitable.

But I digress, I'm glad you found SEED so amazing, but I'd argue strongly that it doesn't deserve any top spot or high ranking. Not by a long shot. But that is just an opinion afterall :)

425429[/snapback]

No fair enough. I have the same beef as you, but an added one, and that is the inclusion of certain amine and exclusion of others.

But I digress, I'm glad you found SEED so amazing, but I'd argue strongly that it doesn't deserve any top spot or high ranking.  Not by a long shot.  But that is just an opinion afterall :)

425429[/snapback]

To be honest, I thought NGE was pretty ho-hum compared to a lot of other series...

i do believe macross should be higher, and that a form of samurai x should have been included. A lot of us here are older than your average american fan. Most of the age range goes from early 20's to early 40's, so most of us have seen a lot in our day that wasn't translated or adapted by american media. Many of us have spent time over in japan and other asian countries, and many are still there. Give us more credit than you have.

425305[/snapback]

Psst, its not called Samurai X in Japan, rather Ruruoni Kenshin.

And like someone else said, its really just a poll of what people are buying right now. many of them are utterly forgettable, and probably driven by market demands. I'd bet if we looked at a newtype poll from 10 years ago, Gundam wing would be number one. Something tells me that some of them may be influenced by recent releases, is there a new NGE boxset out or something? The Z Another translation series did fairly well in theater and sales, why is it so low? probably because people just chose MSG as a byword for that.

Edited by Noyhauser