pre-crash color ASS-1 picture

ewilen

Interesting. Still looks too "clunky" compared to the Zentraedi designs. I always liked the way RT (eh) went with the SDF-3 better... ok well that color above would be better than red, but still. :)

I wonder what the SA's analogues to the other Zent ships look like...

Though I STILL think the Marduk work pretty well for me when I try to imagine the SA. Indeed, I like the Marduk idea better than the SA (as mindless minions/pawns of the Protodevlin).

Edited by Uxi

Thanks for the answers! WJ, those big pictures are great. I agree that the model's "legs" look a little big; the line drawing seems more believable when compared to the lineart for the SDF-1 (TV show) and what appears to be a painting of the damaged ASS-1 right before it entered the atmosphere on p. 203 of Macross Perfect Memory.

So, the ASS-1 is just like the SDF-2,  no transformation or something like that, just a gunship, isn't it?

I'm guessing that it could transform...I doubt that's something that the humans would have been able to engineer. They refitted and fixed up the ship, they didn't rip it to pieces and build a new one with the parts...

And we still don't know whether or not the SDF-2 could or couldn't transform...Kawamori hasn't said that it can't...

Edited by Gubaba

i never got the impression that the SDF transformed alot, i thought they just re-configured it to align some breakers or something so the main guns could fire.

and didn't it really tear up the inside of the ship to do the "transformation" i only seem to remember them transforming once or twice in the show, and then it just stayed in "man-boy" mode.

i also agree that compaired to all the other zentradi ships, the sdf is totally puny and doesn't seem to fit the design of the others; they being more organic looking.

probly one of those things, like how optimus prime looks like a truck even before he comes to earth.

or,Oct 7 2003, 12:36 AM] iand didn't it really tear up the inside of the ship to do the "transformation"  i only seem to remember them transforming once or twice in the show, and then it just stayed in "man-boy" mode.

Well, it didn't tear up the inside of the ship once they rebuilt everything to fit the transformation process...that first time was a doozy, though.

As I recall, Captain Global was initially against transforming at all, because of the havoc it would cause in the city...

Edited by Gubaba

Though I STILL think the Marduk work pretty well for me when I try to imagine the SA. Indeed, I like the Marduk idea better than the SA (as mindless minions/pawns of the Protodevlin).

I'm still not keen on the Marduk, they were basically Zentradi v2.0 with nothing really distinguishing them. Also, the Marduk really were mindless minions and pawns to Ingus, especially considering the majority of their forces were the brainwashed Zentradi drones.

The ship had some kind of modular blocks in it. After the initial fold in the show, the fold system vanished, never rematerializing with the ship. This left a large gap in the power relays, cutting off use of the main cannon. By figuring out how to reconfigure the ship, the relays woud connect and the cannon could fire. They never said how much of it the ship could do on its own beforehand. The cannon pylons separated to fire, like in the show intro, originally, but it's any one's guess how the engineers got the ship to transform quite like that. I agree at least some of the transformation ability had to have been present originally. Maybe it's how it was supposed to land, if it needed to be in a defensive position, that way it could fire into orbit if need be? Kind of like in M7 you have battle 7 standing on Lux with the macross cannon pointed at the sky.

The picture doesn't seem too bad, the leg section does seem a little big, but I'm sure there were some cosmetic changes when it was rebuilt. The lineart looks quite good for it.

Were the "docks" where the arms connected always there? Even in the show, it was originally supposed to dock with the ARMD cruisers, just never got the chance to. I wonder that capability was added on to add more carrier space to the ship.

If all else fails, one can always go with the super engineers clause. These are the same guys who cooked up the barrier system from studying the residual enery left from the fold system's disappearance, right?

i also agree that compaired to all the other zentradi ships, the sdf is totally puny and doesn't seem to fit the design of the others; they being more organic looking.

The Macross was a Supervision Army ship, not a Zentradi ship, hence the different design styles.

I was imagining the SA would be comparable to the Zentraedi since they were in origin the same, weren't they? Or did they supposedly develop "the gunship" ASS-1 after Protodevlin domination? Even pre-crash it doesn't look as advanced as anything the Zentraedi have...

So presumably the rest of the SA ships would have the same motif, right? I'm trying to imagine their analogue to Britai's command ship and the much used destroyer (I can't remember their Macross names).

I don't believe the SA and the Zentradi were similar at all really. I thought the SA were miclone-sized.

We talked about that a little in this thread.

It depends a little on how much of M7 you want to incorporate in your analysis. From M7, we gather that the Supervision Army had miclones in it at one time, since that's why the Zentradi initially were handicapped by the directive about not fighting miclones. From SDF Macross, we gather that the Supervision Army had giants in it, both because the architecture of the Macross includes giant-sized doors and because of what is said "Satan's Dolls".

On the Macross, Hikaru gives his report on Trad City to Global and the senior staff. Exedol also explains his findings on his research of the origin of Zentradi. He says that they were created for fighting by the Protoculture, and Global takes over. He says that over 500,000 years ago a great civilization called the Protoculture existed and founded the Stellar Republic. Over time, the Protoculture split into two warring factions and used genetic engineering to create the giants that eventually became the Zentradi and Supervision Army.

(Summary from mahq.net since I don't have that episode in the Animeigo set yet.)

I think in the interrogation by Britai, Bodolza, and Exedore in "First Contact", it's also made clear that the Zentradi didn't expect to find miclones on a Supervision Army (sometimes translated Inspection Army) ship. (That's in addition to their surprise at the miclones' mixing of sexes and sexual reproduction.) So it seems that at some point, all the miclones in the SA disappeared or were converted into giants; the miclone form was still readily available to the Zentradi (and probably the SA), but nobody, it would seem, actually lived in that form on a day-to-day basis.