Aircraft Vs Thread 3

Well, they just re-confirmed the Chinook as the new CSAR chopper, you could always ask for one of those. :p

Or as someone else said---that's like replacing the F-14 with the F-4.

Not without transferring to the Air Force. :D

THAT's gotta suck:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Lockheed Martin's F-35 Joint Strike Fighter recovers from in-flight power failure

By Craig Hoyle

Lockheed Martin has launched a planned software modification to its lone F-35 test asset, after suffering an unexpected power failure during the aircraft’s 19th and most recent test flight on 3 May.

“We had some very unusual electrical transient through the airplane,” says Joint Strike Fighter programme executive officer US Air Force Brig Gen Charles Davis. “All the electrics dropped offline and came back after a few milliseconds.”

Lockheed confirms: “The test pilot observed a partial failure of the electrical power system. The issue required that the pilot return to base and the 45min flight was slightly shorter than planned. Although the aircraft’s redundant systems worked, we wanted to recover the aircraft to investigate the fault as soon as possible.” The JSF uses electrical power to control all its primary flight control surfaces.

The conventional take-off and landing aircraft – AA-1 – has been returned to its run station for an engineering review and to receive flight software update FTU-2, which Lockheed says will adjust its flight parameters following the 20h flown to date and introduce on-board prognostic health management systems. “The F-35 team does not expect any overall delays in the flight testing programme as a result of the incident,” it says.>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's bad enough to lose all electrical power in any plane, but when you have electrically-driven flight controls instead of cables or hydraulics...

I'm no aviation expert... but it certainly seems like the F-35 is a huge disappointment and at this point it's more trouble than it's worth. Sunk-cost effect, anyone?

Even more depressing when I know the USMC will replace its entire AV-8 and F/A-18 inventory with JSF's.

I had a pleasant surprise at work today. While I happened to be outside taking out cardboard, I happened to see a pair of A-10s flying overhead, probably on their way to McGguire AFB. It was quite refreshing to see something other than a tanker or transport flying overhead.

Yeah McGuire AFB had their annual airshow this weekend, though seeing patrolling A-10s used to be common where I work. I havn't seen them flying around for awhile now. The airshow show was awesome! Some F-15s, F-16s, F-18s, A-10s and even an F-22 were sitting on the ruway for u to walk up to. There were some trainer planes there as well as a beautiful beechcraft which u were allowed to sit in if u could stand the moderately long line. There also was a KC-135, KC-10, C-17, and a C-5, all of which you could walk through. In the back there were some bombers like a B-25, B-52 and a B-17! I took pictures of most of the planes there. I have to laugh at one thing though, while taking pictures of the F-22, there were about 10 military guys standing behind the engines. I figured hey, why not get a picture of the cool thrust vectoring engine stuff so I strolled past the 10 guys with my camera aimed and just as i was about to take a picture..."sir you are not allowed to take pictures of the engines". What, is it that big of a military secret!? If it is why is the F-22 at the airshow? They even had part of the inner missile compartments open. Oh well, the engines were pretty neat though, with or without a picture. It was a fun airshow!

I actually wound up missing the airshow as I was out late last night and didn't wake up at a decent enough hour to go to the show. I wasn't too disappointed, though, I did get to see and tour the battleship New Jersey yesterday. Although it would have been neat seeing the F-22 up close.

The basic rule for military airshow photography is this:

The more something has been photographed and published, the more stringent they are about preventing *you* from taking pics of it. Last time I tried to get within 50ft of an F-117 they said NO pictures AT ALL of it. WTF? 10 years ago I got a lot closer, and that's when it was so secret it was literally surrounded by MP's with machine guns. And it's not like you can't go to friggin' Barnes and Noble and buy the walk-around book which shows every single panel and rivet in exquisite detail. Which came out years ago. And the demo F-117 at the airshow was an old stripped-down one only used for airshows AFAIK, all the "interesting" stuff was removed anyways.

Same for the F-22---the Aerofax book shows everything. Including the details of the engines/exhaust/vectoring. And they seem much more stringent when "at home in the US" than abroad. When the F-22 goes to the UK, France, Australia-----they tend to let more photographs be taken by foreign correspondents with high-quality cameras and zoom lenses while at arm's length. :p

I did get to see and tour the battleship New Jersey yesterday.

Ahh, the USS New Jersey. It's my favorite warship ever and the first I ever boarded. I can still recall my Dad taking me to see the NJ back in the early 80's for San Francisco's Fleet Week.

I was impressed by the size and sheer amount of weapons on that ship, especially the 16 inch guns :ph34r:

Also, it seems US Navy warships have a tradition of showing the ship's ribbons / awards from her service, and it seems usually just under the bridge on the starboard side (right side for you landlubbers). The NJ had seen action in WWII, Korea, Vietnam War, and service in the Mediterranean (Lebanon, etc). The ship had a "salad" of ribbons / awards.

Nothing like shells as heavy as a car coming down on top of someone :lol:

Edited by Warmaker

bah what can we learn from pics of the f22 engine exhaust? geeze that is all most a money shot for aviation enthusiast is seeing the end where the fire come out.

my first navy ship i was on was the USS Salt lake city. i was 11 and i didnt even know it was a 688 nuclear powered boat and wondered why i couldnt see the "classified engine" got to look through the periscope and sit at the controls.

years later my pop and i were talking about that day. he said that he heard a 688 boat was at white beach on okinawa (when he was stationed there) so we went to go look at it. it was raining and my dad figured the skipper saw us getting soaked and invited us onboard because my dad had my sister and i with him and that the crew was home sick and seeing kids helped them cope. as we were the only ones taking the tour that day.

Well, US sub technology usually *is* highly classified and off-limits, and there are no photos allowed, and will be confiscated immediately.

But the F-22---as I said, you can go to any book store and get detailed pics of every inch of it. If it was classified, they wouldn't have allowed the guy to publish the book and make money off it, nor would they have given him access to one to photograph in the first place!

In MCAS Miramar's Air Show in 2006, I recall the USAF's F-117 parked to one side. As it turned out, the F-117 had been in service for decades. This demo jet, as what was pointed out earlier, was probably gutted of non-essentials just like demo team aircraft (Blue Angels, etc).

Anyways, for 2006, the F-117 wasn't roped off, not under guard with heavily armed sentries, and even allowing some civillian to sit in the cockpit.

The basic rule for military airshow photography is this:

The more something has been photographed and published, the more stringent they are about preventing *you* from taking pics of it. Last time I tried to get within 50ft of an F-117 they said NO pictures AT ALL of it. WTF? 10 years ago I got a lot closer, and that's when it was so secret it was literally surrounded by MP's with machine guns. And it's not like you can't go to friggin' Barnes and Noble and buy the walk-around book which shows every single panel and rivet in exquisite detail. Which came out years ago. And the demo F-117 at the airshow was an old stripped-down one only used for airshows AFAIK, all the "interesting" stuff was removed anyways.

Same for the F-22---the Aerofax book shows everything. Including the details of the engines/exhaust/vectoring. And they seem much more stringent when "at home in the US" than abroad. When the F-22 goes to the UK, France, Australia-----they tend to let more photographs be taken by foreign correspondents with high-quality cameras and zoom lenses while at arm's length. :p

This sounds like the BS some of the guys in our rocket group deal with when it comes to dealing with the ATF. When it comes to certain things, one agent will tell you one thing and say something's okay while another will interprate their own laws and rules totally different! :p (Fortunately I've only had to deal with the reasonable agents locally when its come to the maintaining of my explosives permit).

So who was telling you that you couldn't take any pictures if the F-117? It may have been an over zealous airman at the base that didn't know better. I got plenty of shots of an F-117 on the ground and in the air at the air show I was at last September.

It was this guy:

I didn't even see him until he stepped into the frame as he was standing behind someone else. Also note that I am far from the closest spectator to the plane. (Since I'm taking the pic) And I only have like a 2x zoom on that camera, I'm sure there was a guy 50 feet behind me getting better pics with his 20x zoom.

Hmm that guy looks po'd. The first battleship ive ever been on was the USS New Jersey. I was so happy when I heard it was being moved down to NJ. Warmaker, if I remember correctly I saw those ribbons on the NJ. I hear its the most decorated warship ever.

It was this guy:

I didn't even see him until he stepped into the frame as he was standing behind someone else. Also note that I am far from the closest spectator to the plane. (Since I'm taking the pic) And I only have like a 2x zoom on that camera, I'm sure there was a guy 50 feet behind me getting better pics with his 20x zoom.

No offense to anyone here who may be Security Forces, MP, SP, etc. etc. but the military cops I deal with on a daily basis aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. They usually take things way overboard, it looks like that my be the case with that guy.

Hmm that guy looks po'd. The first battleship ive ever been on was the USS New Jersey. I was so happy when I heard it was being moved down to NJ. Warmaker, if I remember correctly I saw those ribbons on the NJ. I hear its the most decorated warship ever.

The USS New Jersey from what I gathered around "teh internetz" was the most decorated battlewagon the US Navy ever had, more than the famed USS Missouri and the rest of her sister ships that continued to serve for decades.

All I know is that with so many decades of service (a bit of off and on stints) in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, the 80's, and even into Desert Shield / Storm, the US got its moneys worth with the Iowa Class Battleships. Those battlewagons threw alot of shells into the air, big and small, and even Cruise Missiles late in their service lives.

I know the USMC misses having NGS (Naval Gunfire Support) from the big guns of a BB ever since the Iowa Classes have been decomissioned.

-------------

As for the po'd looking Airman in the picture, I know full well how he feels.

Beautiful weekend, lots of civillians running around the base, lots of wonderful looking girls, food, drinks, aircraft on display. A decent time could be had!

But no... You have been selected to be an augment for the airshow. You're working the entire weekend. You're either directing traffic, doing security details, running a "Lost and Found" for belongings and kids. Your day starts at a ridiculous hour like 3am and doesn't end until the last civillian has left the base each day, which during MCAS El Toro's massive airshows usually meant 8pm, sometimes even 9pm. The weather's almost always hot but you have to stand out there all day and be active, especially the traffic details. You must be polite, courteous when you're talking with the civillians despite how drained you feel from standing on your feet for 16 or so hours.

When the airshow weekend's done, the thanks you get is: Report back to your commands Monday morning. You report back as ordered. Get to work.

--------------

Small story from an Air Show I worked as a Lance Corporal in 1995 at MCAS El Toro.

My friend and I were one of the security augments. We've been roaming and returned to the Tower, a.k.a. "Lost and Found." We sat down next to a little boy, waiting for his parents to come and pick up him. My friend is a really big, intimidating guy but is actually a teddy bear. We sit with the kid between us.

The boy kind of squirms a little and looks at my huge friend. He quietly asks him:

"Umm, excuse me sir, are you a Marine?"

"Yes, yes I am."

"... Umm... have you killed anyone?"

(Looks at the kid)

"No. Not today." :lol:

The kid just looks straight back forward with his hands folded on his lap, scared. We stop the game and let the boy know he was just joking, got him some soda and candy for compensation. Which worked, of course :p

Edited by Warmaker

It was this guy:

Looks like the aircraft was in transit and not sitting staticly so maybe that's why he was being more anal. Funny thing a few years ago, I hung out around 'til the end of the Offutt show and got to see the F-117 on static display being towed away to be put in a hangar over night. It passed within a few feet of me (almost could have reached out and touched the wing tip) and no one said boo. In fact I don't think there was a guard in sight.

Still mean to post some pictures from the air show last weekend. Just been too busy...

Small story from an Air Show I worked as a Lance Corporal in 1995 at MCAS El Toro.

My friend and I were one of the security augments. We've been roaming and returned to the Tower, a.k.a. "Lost and Found." We sat down next to a little boy, waiting for his parents to come and pick up him. My friend is a really big, intimidating guy but is actually a teddy bear. We sit with the kid between us.

The boy kind of squirms a little and looks at my huge friend. He quietly asks him:

"Umm, excuse me sir, are you a Marine?"

"Yes, yes I am."

"... Umm... have you killed anyone?"

(Looks at the kid)

"No. Not today." :lol:

The kid just looks straight back forward with his hands folded on his lap, scared. We stop the game and let the boy know he was just joking, got him some soda and candy for compensation. Which worked, of course :p

Nice! B))

What the hell? Is it real or are the Youtube people correct in saying it is due to the camera? That is awesome!

A Mi-24 cannot fly without lift from the rotor, and if it was in free fall the blades would still be spinning, so it's due to the camera.

some of the comments on youtube said it is a training sceniereo

Some of the comments of youtube are made be idiots then.

It's caused by the same thing that causes you to see black bars on a TV when you look at it through a video camera.

If they had been practicing an autorotation emergency landing (see how rotation is IN THE WORD), the rotor blades still spin. Just not very fast. Wouldn't be much of an emergency maneuver otherwise.

A Mi-24 cannot fly without lift from the rotor, and if it was in free fall the blades would still be spinning, so it's due to the camera.

Yep....

Shutter speed / frame rate.

So I was doing touch-and-go's at an Army air field today.

Strangely, there were no helos on the tarmac (and it being an Army base, of all places), but I did see some shiny new AF birds from Langley....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by flyboy