Image of the Punisher

This movie comes out on Friday, is anyone excited?

Sorta, kinda, not really. I liked the Punisher comics as a kid but the guy playing the Punisher/Frank Castle in the movie looks like a weenie or he just stepped outta the closet....

oh and wrestling fans take note...remember Kevin Nash is in the film barf...

It got a half-decent review on CHUD.com, one of the few movie sites I trust.

http://www.chud.com/reviews/pun.php3

On the other hand, it's also being eviscerated over on AICN, but I'm sure that's more to do with Harry promoting his buddy Tarantino.

I dunno... the bashing it's getting is pretty harsh and some valid criticisms... beyond the usual Harry pimping a different movie style.

Somehow I doubt I'll see this one in the theaters unless somebody raves about it to me with a pretty good review.

I would but it looks all wrong to me.  The only thing going for it is the fact they said it's based on the Garth Ennis run... :unsure:

Feh.

Steven Grant > Garth Ennis :D

bah! Blasphemy!!

Ennis has done a great job with this character! anyone who ever even remotely liked Frank should check out Born, the Ennis Miniseries of Frank's last days in 'Nam. Ennis also did some awesome work with Vertigo's War Stories. Archangel, Reavers and Screaming Eagles were my faves!!!

bah! Blasphemy!!

Heh. I'm not trying to piss on Ennis' work on Punisher, but to me the early Grant days defined the character. I can sum it up in four words.

Return. To. Big. Nothing.

Remember, prior to the original limited series, the Punisher was just a boob who showed up in Spider Man (with a peculiar habit of calling everybody 'friend'). Inevitably he'd want to kill somebody, and Spidey would swing in and show him that his target was in fact innocent or at least worth handing over to the police.

Grant changed changed all of that with the limited series. Although he wasn't the first to apply it to the character, Grant's use of Castle's narration gave the Punisher his depth. And as awesome as that original limited series was, Return to Big Nothing was x10 as good. All the major writers who followed, such as Baron, Potts, Dixon and even Ennis, all of them have only built on the huge foundation that Grant originally laid down.

You guys are comparing apples and oranges...

Grant's story telling is like a fine meal. Where Ennis will eat that meal then fart it out inside a crowded elevator for everyone to enjoy!

Two diferent kinds of enjoyment!

I would but it looks all wrong to me.  The only thing going for it is the fact they said it's based on the Garth Ennis run... :unsure:

Feh.

bah! Blasphemy!!

Ennis has done a great job with this character! anyone who ever even remotely liked Frank should check out Born, the Ennis Miniseries of Frank's last days in 'Nam. Ennis also did some awesome work with Vertigo's War Stories. Archangel, Reavers and Screaming Eagles were my faves!!!

All this Ennis talk and no mention of Hitman, or his masterpiece - Preacher?

Now, that's blasphemy. Literally, in the case of Preacher. :p

I love both Grant and Ennis' take on Frank Castle... very different, but like EXO said, both awesome. It's a bit like comparing Alan Moore and Frank Miller... totally different, but equally badass.

It was a very, very good movie.

The characters are all human and it shows in their flaws, be it jealousy, anger, revenge, or "punishment". The charactes are well-developed for the most part, everyone having a story and background, even the "normal" characters have lives that we learn and experience.

A few things are out of proportion or unrealistic, but that's to be expected in a movie like this.

The violence is not one of those things, though. This movie is darkly violent, as well it should be. The atmosphere of the movie fits for the character and it works. Though not gory for just the sake of being gory, it didn't pull the punches when it decided to hit full-force.

The action is also a little over the top, but again, not unexpected for a movie like this.

One thing the makers did get right is Castle's emotional problems, and the way he deals with them. It's a totally natural reaction to me and I had no trouble believing that character development.

I give this movie 8/10, with marks taken off for those out-of-proportion bits as stated above.

Feh.

bah! Blasphemy!!

All this Ennis talk and no mention of Hitman, or his masterpiece - Preacher?

Now, that's blasphemy. Literally, in the case of Preacher. :p

I love both Grant and Ennis' take on Frank Castle... very different, but like EXO said, both awesome. It's a bit like comparing Alan Moore and Frank Miller... totally different, but equally badass.

Garth Ennis Run on Darkness was cool too.

But back to the point, the movie was quite good actually, I had been reading so many bad things about it that I went in with really low expectations, so maybe that had something to do with it. Not one of the best comic book movies, but still enjoyble 2hours, only thing I would of like more was for it to be a little more dark.