New Paint Removal Method -

GutsAndCasca

1st off - I've had my soul tortured watching many precious 1/48 scale pieces be eaten/cracked/brittled/demolished, you name it, trying various paint removal methods. I've tried many... SO far, the best method, meaning, the safest for your valk, is Haterists' Brasso method. Works wonders, but it's a lot of work.

I recently went to a hobby shop to get some tamiya thinner, and started chit-chatting with some lady who worked there, and I swear, this was totally off topic, she tries selling me some bottle of biodegradable paint remover all of the sudden. I have a natural aversion to ALL paint remover products these days after what I've done to my valks, so I wasn't going to buy it. Then I figured what the hell. I've got f--ked up 1/48 pieces lying around doing nothing. I might as well f--k them up more. So I bought this:

CHAMELEON

plastic safe model paint stripper

phone (410) 287-9496

DPSG2000@aol.com

www.chameleonproductsonline.com

I bought the regular liquid kind. The woman at the store said the gel is even better, but they were out of it. So far I've used this stuff on a lot of valk pieces, including the MG2 I'm building right now. No cracking, no flaking, no unsightly stains, no brittle pieces. Hard-to-reach spots are EASILY "depainted" with a little bit of this liquid and a hard bristle tooth brush. Seriously - this stuff takes paint off with ridiculous ease.

Just don't use it on any clear plastic pieces, such as HEAT SHIELDS. If you want a perfectly clear heat shield, stick with brasso and lots of q-tips or SOS pads.

If anybody out there is like me, I'm sure you're thinking "yeah whatever, I don't believe this." Take it from the guy who's watched his valks die screaming - this chameleon paint removal stuff kicks azz. Until Yamato releases a plain white valk, I'll be using it.

Okay, some pictures -post-3666-1151947728_thumb.jpgpost-3666-1151947738_thumb.jpgpost-3666-1151947721_thumb.jpgpost-3666-1151947713_thumb.jpg

Here's a few minutes later after some light rubbing with some Q-tips

post-3666-1151947854_thumb.jpgpost-3666-1151947883_thumb.jpgpost-3666-1151947943_thumb.jpgpost-3666-1151948069_thumb.jpg

Edited by GutsAndCasca

1st off - I've had my soul tortured watching many precious 1/48 scale pieces be eaten/cracked/brittled/demolished, you name it, trying various paint removal methods. I've tried many... SO far, the best method, meaning, the safest for your valk, is Haterists' Brasso method. Works wonders, but it's a lot of work.

I recently went to a hobby shop to get some tamiya thinner, and started chit-chatting with some lady who worked there, and I swear, this was totally off topic, she tries selling me some bottle of biodegradable paint remover all of the sudden. I have a natural aversion to ALL paint remover products these days after what I've done to my valks, so I wasn't going to buy it. Then I figured what the hell. I've got f--ked up 1/48 pieces lying around doing nothing. I might as well f--k them up more. So I bought this:

CHAMELEON

plastic safe model paint stripper

phone (410) 287-9496

DPSG2000@aol.com

www.chameleonproductsonline.com

I bought the regular liquid kind. The woman at the store said the gel is even better, but they were out of it. So far I've used this stuff on a lot of valk pieces, including the MG2 I'm building right now. No cracking, no flaking, no unsightly stains, no brittle pieces. Hard-to-reach spots are EASILY "depainted" with a little bit of this liquid and a hard bristle tooth brush. Seriously - this stuff takes paint off with ridiculous ease.

Just don't use it on any clear plastic pieces, such as HEAT SHIELDS. If you want a perfectly clear heat shield, stick with brasso and lots of q-tips or SOS pads.

If anybody out there is like me, I'm sure you're thinking "yeah whatever, I don't believe this." Take it from the guy who's watched his valks die screaming - this chameleon paint removal stuff kicks azz. Until Yamato releases a plain white valk, I'll be using it.

411234[/snapback]

A 1/48 huh :rolleyes: ? Lets see some pics :p . BTW, does it remove the paint completely to where the area that had the paint matches the color of the rest of the valk? I tried a different paint remover someone here suggested, but it didn't remove the paint completely.

Yeah If it works on Yammies paint maybe it will work on some of my 1/55`s I have that were painted by the preivous owner. The only thing I have found that gets that as of yet unknown type paint off is Mr Muscle oven cleaner. Its a slow stinky process. Anything that speeds it up and doesnt gas me at the same time is good in my books.

great news man. 

as much as i'd like to try this stuff out, i honestly wonder what the long term effects would be?  i guess i'll have to wait and see if any of your parts dissolve in the next month or so.  :D

keep us posted!

411404[/snapback]

*hahahahahah* Believe me, if my as-of-yet unassembled mg2 starts dissolving, I WILL have a brain aneurism and it WILL be posted on this site. It will be the first time a live mental breakdown will be somehow broken down into exact stages and written eloquently for everyone to read and enjoy. I don't look forward to this day!

:D

And Big-F, for the time being, rejoice! Slow stinky methods are hopefully a thing of the past. *crosses fingers*

A 1/48 huh :rolleyes: ? Lets see some pics :p . BTW, does it remove the paint completely to where the area that had the paint matches the color of the rest of the valk? I tried a different paint remover someone here suggested, but it didn't remove the paint completely.

411239[/snapback]

And yes, it removes the paint completely, with no poop-stains remaining. When I'm back from school tonight I'll do the whole pics thing. ;)

Okay -- sorry I haven't done the step by step paint removal pictures yet. Yesterday was my b-day and I spent it in the hospital for some kind of stomach flu going 'round. today I managed to gather the will to take pictures of my Minmay Guards for the forums, but I seriously cannot be around any chemical products for a few days at least. But, the MG1 was depainted using Brasso, and the MG2 was depainted using Chameleon.

-to haterist: So far, the MG2 isn't falling apart! (no bad side effects) :)

i finally had a chance to visit the chameleon website and dude, why didn't you mention that the product was predominantly used on electric model trains?

that alone would sold me right there. our valks are expensive but electric model trains are out of hand expensive. if they're taking the chance on those, i have no fear that it'll do the job on my ABS toy.

anyway, i just called them to place my order so hopefully i'll be here sometime next week. :)

ALSO -- don't use this paint remover on GBP armor. It gives a perma-frost. If someone knows how to get rid of the perma-frost phenomena, please let me know!

413247[/snapback]

i'm not sure if it'll works, but u can try using polishing compound.

so far i'd been using tamiya polishing compound to get rid of frosting effect on plastic and top coats. works for me.

Thank you jonwayne! I appreciate the advice. Also --- tomorrow I'll be posting pics of a little bit of paint removing that I did tonight. It should help convince the non believers.

BUT --- do NOT use this stuff on clear plastic. I can't stress it enough. It put cracks in my heat shield. (But it sure got rid of the paint!) And beware of frosting up your GBP. Other than that, it does wonders. Tonight I just used Q-tips and slight pressure to get paint off of a valk leg. It was a cynch!

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to be removing some paint off of a CF head pretty soon! So I'll definitely let you know if it frosts it up. The problem with the GBP plastic, is that it's very very porous. You run your finger over it and it's almost like an extremely fine sandpaper or something. Fortunately, putting a gloss on it clears the frost up. (I sprayed future finish on mine and presto!) But I will let you know what happens with the head.

Thanks for the updates. After reading all this, I've got a Chunky Monkey

Ostrich that's yellowed like a smoker's fingernails I'm thinking of cleaning up and customizing. - MT