Oberth

neptunesurvey

The little bit of flash present was easy to clean up. One problem I came across was removing the excess from the antennas that attach to the engines. Be very very careful when doing this because it is quite fragile. I broke 2 of the 4 antennas. Now I need to clean the parts.

Guest Bromgrev

And here I had almost given up on seeing one of these come to life (apart from Honneamise's own). Me and my big mouth.

Looking forward to this ... :D

Edited by Bromgrev

Id go with a really light grey, it wont look as stark against the blue upper part.

410337[/snapback]

Thanks, the light gray does look good. I'm hoping to spray on the Darkblue coat today. Its fairly humid today and the gray coat from yesterday still has not completely dried yet.

This is a cool thread! I´m looking forward to see some more pics! :) BTW a light grey is better than plain white IMO, too much prime colours and contrast might make the model look a bit toyish. I used a very light grey on mine, IIRC it was the Vietnam era underside grey as seen on Phantoms, F-100s etc.

Here are a couple of pictures. The blue is still fairly tacky with all of this humidity. :(

I mostly use Model Master Enamel paints. They seem to have the best paint selection for what I'm looking for. On the Oberth I used Dunkelblau and Lichtgrau.

The MME German paints offered seem to have the color I'm usually looking for when painting anime kits.

post-1196-1152578366_thumb.jpg

post-1196-1152578414_thumb.jpg

Good colour choice, that German blue looks lighter than the usual Navy blue but I like it very much. Hope it will be dry soon... too much humidity sucks, same over here, my super glue thickens and dries before I can even use it! :(

Place it near a warm lamp and turn it every 20 min or so to assist in drying the paint. It will hepl the solvents evaporate and speed up some of the outgas.

415304[/snapback]

Nice idea. Simple but effective. If its not dried by tomorrow I'll try the lamp then.

• 3 months later...

I love that colour scheme, not too much toned down yet not toylike at all. To be honest, I love the whole ship (OK I´m biased of course :D )- that design is far too cool to be wasted as a "3 seconds in the background then blow-up-CF-ship"!

Looks great! So is it tough to build models on board ship? Especially with heavy swells/waves?

The hard part is keeping everything secured while you work and making sure you don't stab yourself with the #11 blade. I have a few scars to show for it. :o I usually don't paint at sea unless I have a cockpit to paint. If the seas are too rough I just climb into me bunk and enjoy the ride. :wacko:

When the ship loses power, which I told Bromgrev, Graham, and Valk009 about one story, it can get interesting. :p

Honneamise, your not being bias, its a great kit and I like the paint scheme as well. Those Testor Model Master Enamel German paints are great!

Has anyone else been working on the Oberth kit?

I have a friend in the Navy who always keeps a knife on him just in case the lights go out! He says you gotta be wary of the "ether bunny." - MT

Jesus Christ! That's some f@#%ed up s*%t right there. Can't even trust the fellows in uniform? Not for me thanks.

BTW why does MW edit your response, seems kinda draconian.

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

The hard part is keeping everything secured while you work and making sure you don't stab yourself with the #11 blade. I have a few scars to show for it. :o I usually don't paint at sea unless I have a cockpit to paint. If the seas are too rough I just climb into me bunk and enjoy the ride. :wacko:

When the ship loses power, which I told Bromgrev, Graham, and Valk009 about one story, it can get interesting. :p

Has anyone else been working on the Oberth kit?

Tell us the stories!