Where Can I Get The R2 Version Of Mac+ The Movie

isamu

Hello. Can anyone give me a link to a good import online shop that I can order the import R2 version of Macross Plus the Movie? I already own Manga's version but the picture quality leaves a lot to be desired and I hear the Japanese version is superior in image clarity and sound.

how is the quality for the macross plus movie? is it better than the manga version and does it have english sub? kyatsu

Quality is decent. Doesn't look like an old VHS tape. I think it might be an LD rip though. 2.0 Japanese audio and no English subs. The extras are a trailer of the PSX game and some still shots of promotional material. Comes with a fold out mini poster of a hand drawn YF-19 and YF-21. IIRC the other side lists the changes from the OVA by time code and pics.

i was very shocked last night when i first saw the movie on dvd. i watched the movie long time ago on tape and i expected to see a good quality of macross plus on dvd. dude, it was bad, but worst than bubble gum crisis first dvd set that came out earlier. luckily i borrowed the macross plus the movie from my friend, but eventually i would want one of my own. damn, i hope manga will do something about it. kyatsu :ph34r:

so, the ova is as bad too? i was thinking about picking it up. man, i guess early on they just didnt think about quality loss :o kyatsu

408162[/snapback]

The OVA isn't NEARLY as bad. It's not a direct-from-VHS rip and has half-decent image quality(and no hard subs).

It DOES suffer from some issues, most notably a way-too-dark transfer.

Someone neglected to tell Manga that Colonel Millard is a black man, not a sihouette.

But next to the movie, it's golden.

wow, i have a feeling i am better off getting the japanese version for both the movie and the ova. thanks for the head up guys. i really didnt know since the last time i saw it was on tapes years back when i was still in school. recently have some free time, so i was able to get the movie from my friend to watch it. he just bought it and hasnt seen it. man, i bet he will be disappointed when i tell him the news about it. kyatsu :blink:

The OVA isn't NEARLY as bad. It's not a direct-from-VHS rip and has half-decent image quality(and no hard subs).

Someone neglected to tell Manga that Colonel Millard is a black man, not a sihouette.

408183[/snapback]

LOL aint that the truth! I can't believe how dark the OVA transfer is. Luckily there are numerous brightness settings I can fiddle with on my HTPC.

Here's the thing....how do you guys know FOR SURE the Manga OVAs aren't a direct VHS rip? I mean, where exactly is the video source from? I'm not saying the quality is bad, but it isn't quite a crisp as say, Ninja Scroll or Tenchi Muyo. What if Manga's VHS master was a bit better and they ripped the OVAs from that? I wouldn't put it past them.

I'm with kyatsu. I'm getting the Japanese OVAs as well and giving the finger to mangle.

There's recently been an R3 release of the OVA, and usually those use the R2 masters, but aren't nearly as expensive.

408354[/snapback]

Thanks for the heads up R3 is what country, Asia? Link to where I can order it?

408183[/snapback]

LOL aint that the truth! I can't believe how dark the OVA transfer is. Luckily there are numerous brightness settings I can fiddle with on my HTPC.

Here's the thing....how do you guys know FOR SURE the Manga OVAs aren't a direct VHS rip? I mean, where exactly is the video source from? I'm not saying the quality is bad, but it isn't quite a crisp as say, Ninja Scroll or Tenchi Muyo. What if Manga's VHS master was a bit better and they ripped the OVAs from that? I wouldn't put it past them.

I'm with kyatsu. I'm getting the Japanese OVAs as well and giving the finger to mangle.

There's recently been an R3 release of the OVA, and usually those use the R2 masters, but aren't nearly as expensive.

408354[/snapback]

Thanks for the heads up R3 is what country, Asia? Link to where I can order it?

408358[/snapback]

*cough* front page*cough* scroll down ;)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=19301

I have the YF-19 R2 box of eps 1 & 2 and they are noticeably brighter than Manga's release. Manga's release isn't really bad its just so dark. The R2 DVDs do have the English dub(IIRC its 2.0). No English subs but I've seen Macross Plus so many times I really don't need them.

Edited by dejr8bud

I have this DVD (R2) and I think it's a piece of crap, actually. It turns out there is no chapter selection option. Why? Well, that's because the entire film is just one long f*cking chapter!! WTF....

Yeah, the visuals may be slightly better than the Manga version and no hard-subs, but I would rather go for the UK Ultimate Edition since that has all the episodes in dual audio plus the movie all included in a package for half the price of the Japanese release of the movie alone.

Not worth the money at all. I got it for Y1500 used and I would not pay more than that.

I have this DVD (R2) and I think it's a piece of crap, actually.  It turns out there is no chapter selection option.  Why?  Well, that's because the entire film is just one long f*cking chapter!!  WTF....

Yeah, the visuals may be slightly better than the Manga version and no hard-subs, but I would rather go for the UK Ultimate Edition since that has all the episodes in dual audio plus the movie all included in a package for half the price of the Japanese release of the movie alone.

Not worth the money at all.  I got it for Y1500 used and I would not pay more than that.

408563[/snapback]

1500 yen? wow. That's cheap

The UK version of the movie uses the same crap video as the US version though. Hard subs and VHS transfer.

What are you talking about, the R2 looks significantly better than the R1, the comparison isn't even funny. As for the UK, it's just a PAL conversion of the shitty NTSC VHS dump manga did, I don't care what price you got it for, it's still the same crap, and the early batches had the disc silkscreens all mixed up.

What are you talking about, the R2 looks significantly better than the R1, the comparison isn't even funny. As for the UK, it's just a PAL conversion of the shitty NTSC VHS dump manga did, I don't care what price you got it for, it's still the same crap, and the early batches had the disc silkscreens all mixed up.

408646[/snapback]

In that case at the end of the day there is no perfect package and you have to decide how you will part with your money.

MACROSS PLUS MOVIE EDITION

Option1: US R1: VHS transfer, hard subs.

Option2: UK R2: VHS transfer, hards subs. PAL. Comes with the 4 episodes of the series included, which have Japanese/English audio etc. Dirt cheap.

Option3: JapanR2: Better quality but still not perfect. No subs, stereo only, no selectable scenes (unforgivable), extras are trailer for movie and PS game, and illegible (because of small size) scanned version of the movie pamphlet.

They all piss me off in their own way. But then the film itself pisses me off too, so... :rolleyes:

Edited by Renato