Warera Became A Drunk?

I think I may have mention this site years ago. The Roy Focker Special

skull-1.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ it's all in Japanese I used Google. How accurate is this information on it?

A few things of interest...

Warera becomes a drunk?

Also the rear of the going into exile has worked, lolly, [konda] and 3 people together, but in order not to go excessively well, job was frequently changed. Also after the great war it had lived seriously with [makurosushitei], but it is fixed to the culture “liquor” of demon and it destroys with the body. After that, [makurosushitei] 1 lolly & it rolls to the house of the [vuanetsusa] husband and wife, the freeloader. With lolly, [konda], lolly & trouble of 3 children of the [vuanetsusa] husband and wife is seen.

Misa's mother death was due to a liver problem?

Rapid gossamer Noriko         

(SAKIKO HAYASE)  Takashi's wife and mother of not yet sand. Troop

You understand Takashi who chases in duty, support from heart it comes well, the wife.

Collapsing you were hospitalized with 2005 June 5th chronic liver obstacle, died in December. 

sorry looks like babelfish to me, then again it is almost 2 in the morning over here so i am sure most words do.

chris

I can almost decipher the second quote.

I think he is saying Misa's mother became a drunk because her father was never there (career soldier and all that) and she died of liver disease of some type.

The first quote is jibberish in english, though I have no doubt in Japanese it makes perfect sense. Since the syntax of both languages are very different.

Simply put, Babelfish sucks rocks.

Here's the translation via http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/

The class is a group of 3 the first class armor soldier of 099 the eighth Britai fleet flagship belonging forcing reconnaissance code name "Blue wind" alone.

It sneaks in the Macross warship as Maicrorn spy and information is collected.

However, the culture shock is received having touched "Culture" that we have not seen up to now (At this time, make friends with the shammy, the Kim, and Vanessa). It spreads culture to the lower class soldier, it escapes between 23 people, and to Macross again though it returns temporarily for the report. Afterwards, the defection is formally admitted and life is led in the Macross warship. It did not go well so much, and assumed rolling the employment though it worked together by Lori, Conda, and three people after it had defected. It has the ball body in satan's cultural "Sake" and it destroys it though it lived with Macrosshiti seriously after the great war. Afterwards, it is a rolling into sponger in the house of Mr. and Mrs. Vanessa of Lori & of Macrosshiti one. The child is looked after with Lori and Conda three Mr. and Mrs. Vanessa of Lori &.

I would rewrite it as:

Warera is in a group of 3 first class armor soldier of 099, in the eighth Britai fleet flagship. They alone belong to a militarized reconnaissance force code named "Blue wind".

They sneak into the Macross warship as Maicron spies and collect information. However, they get culture shock after having touched "Culture" that they have not seen up to now. (At this time, make friends with Shammy, Kim, and Vanessa).

They spreads culture to the lower class soldier (on the flagship), and 23 people (soldiers) escape to Macross again. Though they return temporarily (to the flagship) for a report.

Afterwards, their defection is formally admitted and life is led in the Macross warship.

It did not go so well, and together with Lori, and Conda, the three people worked together after they had defected by assuming rolling employment (odd jobs? Street salesmen?)

He lost the ball in satan's cultural "Sake" and it destroys him, even though he lived in Macross City seriously after the great war.

Afterwards, he became a sponger in the house of Mr. and Mrs. Vanessa of Lori & of Macross City.

He looked after their child with Lori and Conda and Mr. and Mrs. Vanessa of Lori &.

It still doesn't make perfect sense, but probably does if you know the Macross TV series story.

Afterwards, he became a sponger in the house of Mr. and Mrs. Vanessa of Lori & of Macross City.

He looked after their child with Lori and Conda and Mr. and Mrs. Vanessa of Lori &.

It still doesn't make perfect sense, but probably does if you know the Macross TV series story.

403334[/snapback]

I'm having a bit of trouble parsing that. Is it saying Vanessa and Lori got married, and Warer babysat?

"looked after" is not equal to babysitting.

In my mind, babysitting is a paid job or service. Looking after is unpaid. In Asia, babysitting doesn't exist, at least in the North American sense of it, as by-and-large the extended family (usually grandparents) look after the kids if the parents need to do something that they couldn't do without the assistance (shopping for big ticket items, etc..)

It's a totally different culture afterall.

I'm still curious of how accurate this information is.  Fan speculation or is it from Macross audio or text that has never been translated.

403501[/snapback]

Questions:

- does any of the information contradict known information in English and/or the various animes and manga?

- how much of the database is the same as known information in English?

Suggestion:

- do the Star Wars extended universe approach to the info - as long as it isn't contrary to canon, it's as good as canon.

"looked after" is not equal to babysitting.

In my mind, babysitting is a paid job or service.  Looking after is unpaid.  In Asia, babysitting doesn't exist, at least in the North American sense of it, as by-and-large the extended family (usually grandparents) look after the kids if the parents need to do something that they couldn't do without the assistance (shopping for big ticket items, etc..)

It's a totally different culture afterall.

403543[/snapback]

In my mind, babysitting covers both paid and unpaid forms of supervision.

So now that we have that technicality out of the way, have I, in fact, parsed it correctly?

Did Vanessa enter into a long-term monogamous relationship with Loli and grow human-zentran hybrids within her uterus, which Warera monitored after they were extruded from her body?

And which one was Loli, anyways?

Babysitting - the nuance is that the parents or guardians leave the area, and the baby, in the care of the babysitter.

Looking after by and large means that the parents or guardians are sometimes to mostly with both the baby and the person looking after the baby.

Example: Venassa is cooking dinner, Lori is watching TV, and Warera is looking after the baby - all in the same room.

Also, if they meant babysitter, with all it's definitions and nuances, they would have said babysitter.

They didn't.

Edited by sketchley

Babysitting - the nuance is that the parents or guardians leave the area, and the baby, in the care of the babysitter.

Not a part of the definition, and not even implied in my region.

Also, if they meant babysitter, with all it's definitions and nuances, they would have said babysitter.

They didn't.

403578[/snapback]

They used what is commonly known as a synonym.

And giving an automated translation script credit for intelligent and well-thought-out word selection is questionable at best.

Now will you stop picking on my choice of words, and ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION?

Babysit in Japanese = å­å®ˆã‚’ã™ã‚‹ã€ã¹ãƒ“シッターをã™ã‚‹

Please check the Japanese text for those two variations. See if you can find it.

In fact, it has å­ä¾›ã®é¢å€’ã‚’ã¿ã¦ã„ã‚‹. The key verb being é¢å€’ which translates as: trouble, difficulty; taking care of, tending to.

The nuance of the statement ロリーã€ã‚³ãƒ³ãƒ€ã¨å…±ã«ã€ãƒ­ãƒªãƒ¼ï¼†ãƒ´ã‚¡ãƒãƒƒã‚µå¤«å¦»ã®ï¼“人ã®å­ä¾›ã®é¢å€’ã‚’ã¿ã¦ã„ã‚‹ is Rorii, Konda and Warera, the 3 of them together, tend to/take care of husband and wife, Rorii's and Venessa's child.

And thank you for referring to me as an "automated translation script". :)

Back to the original intent of this topic:

Macross Perfect Memory, Pg 131 has the first part of the Warera description, up until the drinking bit.

Edited by sketchley

Babysit in Japanese = å­å®ˆã‚’ã™ã‚‹ã€ã¹ãƒ“シッターをã™ã‚‹

Please check the Japanese text for those two variations.  See if you can find it.

In fact, it has å­ä¾›ã®é¢å€’ã‚’ã¿ã¦ã„ã‚‹.  The key verb being é¢å€’ which translates as: trouble, difficulty; taking care of, tending to.

The nuance of the statement ロリーã€ã‚³ãƒ³ãƒ€ã¨å…±ã«ã€ãƒ­ãƒªãƒ¼ï¼†ãƒ´ã‚¡ãƒãƒƒã‚µå¤«å¦»ã®ï¼“人ã®å­ä¾›ã®é¢å€’ã‚’ã¿ã¦ã„ã‚‹ is Rorii, Konda and Warera, the 3 of them together, tend to/take care of husband and wife, Rorii's and Venessa's child.

Which is a heck of a lot more informative than "Babysit means you get paid," but STILL arguing semantics.

Is it REALLY that hard to answer a question? Maybe even a "Yes, except (semantic bullshit about the definition of babysitting)," so you can pick apart word choice WHILE answering a question?

And thank you for referring to me as an "automated translation script". :)

As near as I can tell, you linked excite's translator, then supplied your translation of their translation.

If not, I'm not sure why you bothered to paste Excite's translation.

Is it REALLY that hard to answer a question? Maybe even a "Yes, except (semantic bullshit about the definition of babysitting)," so you can pick apart word choice WHILE answering a question?

As near as I can tell, you linked excite's translator, then supplied your translation of their translation.

If not, I'm not sure why you bothered to paste Excite's translation.

403608[/snapback]

You know, your attitude is really, really poor. It is a real disincentive for people to answer your questions and give civil responses; not to mention making people much more arguementative then normal civil relations would.

As for the translations:

a) Babelfish's translation is crap and resulted in crap. Thus a more accurate online translator was used to get a fast translation.

b) that fast translation was called into question. So out came the dictionaries and real translation.

You indicate that this is an argument about semantics. At this time, I'd like to call in your skills as a translator. You are arguing to someone who has worked professionally in translation, between Japanese and English, and claiming that you have a better understanding of the original message and it's just my poor English abilities that are preventing it from being correctly understood.

Therefore, what are your translation credentials? What experiences do you have translating from Japanese to English?

Let me remind you of the key statement in question:

"The 3 of them together, tend to/take care of (...) the child."

That's not drunk Warera by himself.

PS I do agree that a monetary transaction may or may not be involved with the standard definition of babysitting. However, as the Asian (specifically Japanese) definition of look after/take care of a baby is in the presence of, and with the parents and/or legal guardians, they are two entirely different concepts.

Edited by sketchley

You know, your attitude is really, really poor. It is a real disincentive for people to answer your questions and give civil responses; not to mention making people much more arguementative then normal civil relations would.

Perhaps.

I'd argue that nitpicking a single word in a question while completely ignoring the question is a bad attitude too.

While I may be abrasive, I generally make a point of acknowledging questions when I nitpick them.

You indicate that this is an argument about semantics.  At this time, I'd like to call in your skills as a translator.  You are arguing to someone who has worked professionally in translation, between Japanese and English, and claiming that you have a better understanding of the original message and it's just my poor English abilities that are preventing it from being correctly understood.

No. I'm arguing that I asked a question about an oddly-worded sentence and got nothing but a nitpick about my choice of words.

If I were in any position to complain about the actual accuracy of the translation, I would never have asked the question because I'd HAVE the original source as well as my own translation. I'd already know what the sentence I asked about was trying to say, and wouldn't be asking for clarification.

If I thought I had a better understanding of the material, I'd say so. I don't hide challenges behind question marks.

Therefore, what are your translation credentials?  What experiences do you have translating from Japanese to English?

Absolutely none. I don't have the original source either, so it's a moot point.

Which is all irrelevant, as I was just asking for confirmation that I read an oddly-worded sentence correctly, not questioning the general accuracy of the translation.