Fanart Contest For April - Winner Will Have A Link

EXO

Enter a picture of a finished piece of fanart here. A drawing, a model, a custom toy, CG art, sculpture, diorama or whatever you can think of. But it must be a finished piece not a work in progress. You can only enter ONE picture per piece.

In the middle of the month we'll have a poll for all entries we can fit in the poll. I'm not sure how many items we can fit in the poll but it's first come first serve. Those that dont make it will be automatically entered for the next month.

This must be original art, not a photoshop of some pictures found. Artists can enter themselves or can be nominated. Artists can enter by themselves or as a team. There may be multiple entries from one artist as long it's a different piece of art, not different versions of the same piece.

I'm trying to cover everything here, so if I missed something then remind me.

This is for pure fun and everyone is invited to enter. No one can ridicule any entries, there will be no critiques because an entry is final once it's posted. Any person found making fun of any entry will be booted from the thread.

The winner will have their art or thread linked from the main page, the choice is theirs.

So get to it! Let's see what you got!

entries should be in by the 15th. We start the poll that day.

Enterprise with VF-1S on board - awesome!!! Great shading on the VF and very good blending of the two subjects.

Here´s my entry, it is a handpainted picture (well mostly, the clouds in the backgraound are airbrushed) of the Ghost QF-3000. It is intended as as the boxart for the resin model kit I made.

post-2845-1144083309_thumb.jpg

OMG... you guys rock... I'm so glad I started this contest now. I wish I could make a cofee table book with all the winner's pieces in it...

I'm hoping to enter the contest one of these days too and I'd have to turn up the notch a lot just to keep up.

Here´s my entry, it is a handpainted picture (well mostly, the clouds in the backgraound are airbrushed) of the Ghost QF-3000. It is intended as as the boxart for the resin model kit I made.

Honneamise, that rocks! Very reminiscent of old-school Bandai box art. Hats off!

Enterprise with VF-1S on board - awesome!!! Great shading on the VF and very good blending of the two subjects.

post-2845-1144083309_thumb.jpg

387124[/snapback]

Don't suppose you have a hi res scan of this picture available. Perhaps 1600x1200?

Those ghosts are nice, but I'm gonna have to go with the Doc on this one. That VF-1 model represents months of sweat, blood, and a ton of frustrations. I remember the work he put into perfecting it. Not that I don't think a lot of work went into the Ghost Trio. I was just closer to the action on the VF-1 model.

as promised this one is entered automatically because I failed to include it on last month's.

That's too friggin' cool to beat! It's got my vote.

387559[/snapback]

Hey hey! We're not voting yet... we need entries still. :D

Those ghosts are nice, but I'm gonna have to go with the Doc on this one.  That VF-1 model represents months of sweat, blood, and a ton of frustrations.  I remember the work he put into perfecting it.  Not that I don't think a lot of work went into the Ghost Trio.  I was just closer to the action on the VF-1 model.

387592[/snapback]

Vinnie... are you kidding me? Those ghosts are hand painted. That is talent!

as promised this one is entered automatically because I failed to include it on last month's.

387559[/snapback]

387597[/snapback]

Why bother though when we already know one of the two already posted is going to surely get the win?

I mean, how can any of us (other than the Mad CGers) top that?

387559[/snapback]

387597[/snapback]

Why bother though when we already know one of the two already posted is going to surely get the win?

I mean, how can any of us (other than the Mad CGers) top that?

387620[/snapback]

You kidding me? Who even knew Honneamise can paint... I've always liked his avatar, I'm assuming he did that also. But you just never know what's around

the corner.

How about, from now on, >EXO< collects the entries via PM or something. I have a strong suspicion that the two entries up so far are going to dissuade others from entering their works, simply because a lot of us know we won't be able to compete.

I, for one, can't enter this month. I've got patents to work on, as well as a Wheel of Time based drawing which I've been fussing over for the past week or so (hint: Pointillism is terribly time consuming).

I do, however, have some ideas floating in my head for the coming months.

How about, from now on, >EXO< collects the entries via PM or something. I have a strong suspicion that the two entries up so far are going to dissuade others from entering their works, simply because a lot of us know we won't be able to compete.

I, for one, can't enter this month. I've got patents to work on, as well as a Wheel of Time based drawing which I've been fussing over for the past week or so (hint: Pointillism is terribly time consuming).

I do, however, have some ideas floating in my head for the coming months.

387690[/snapback]

That's a great idea WDC... I'll do that next month. But at the same time it also inspires fanart that goes beyond the scope of fanart. I still consider a lot of the other last month's entries to be above the quality of regular stuff we see on the web. Now it's just getting exciting.

You kidding me?  Who even knew Honneamise can paint... I've always liked his avatar, I'm assuming he did that also.  But you just never know what's around

the corner.

387674[/snapback]

I'm an amature artist, and when I see work like this appearing it just discourages me from entering since I know I can't beat that.

It means I have to sit out another month until these OMG! arts are out of the way, only to be defeated next month by another painting by Honneamise, which I wouldn't know existed until the finals and all the 'secret entries' are in.

I dunno, I like the idea of art contests, but I feel out of place because I'm not as perfect as the Pro painters/CGers here.

You kidding me?  Who even knew Honneamise can paint... I've always liked his avatar, I'm assuming he did that also.  But you just never know what's around

the corner.

387674[/snapback]

I'm an amature artist, and when I see work like this appearing it just discourages me from entering since I know I can't beat that.

It means I have to sit out another month until these OMG! arts are out of the way, only to be defeated next month by another painting by Honneamise, which I wouldn't know existed until the finals and all the 'secret entries' are in.

I dunno, I like the idea of art contests, but I feel out of place because I'm not as perfect as the Pro painters/CGers here.

387695[/snapback]

Well, it is a fine line, but I think having secret submissions will be more beneficial.

Remember, while the prize is having a link to your artwork, the actual goal is to spur more fan art.

Whether you feel your good or not, most of us around here won't tell you that your work sucks. But we are in no way above creative criticism. Lord knows it's helped myself improve, and I could name a bunch of fan artists here who'd say the same.

In fact, if you don't enter this month, I will disown you*.

*vague threat. :p

Yeah, that's why I've already decided that I would do that, but for now its too late... like I said though, I think there maybe people out there that just happen to be sitting on art work that they think would do fairly good this month.

Boxer, you shouldn't let that discourage you, your shouldn't wait it out until you think less talented people are gonna enter, it should be that you're pushing yourself to be as good or even better so you can enter whenever you want.

I think I have in me to compete with these guys, but it'll take me about 2 months to complete a piece worthy. But if it takes that long to do it, then that's what it takes.

But remember, it doesn't have to be CG or painted art. It could be a custom model or toy. All we need is something that's composed well in one picture that people would probably want to have it as their wallpapers on their computers.

Edited by >EXO<

Wow, you guys are so good, I actually thought of entering next month, just to avoid the competition. But in the end, I have decided to enter, because even if I lost, there is nothing to be ashame of, the drawings that you guys did were truly awesome!!!

Here is a painting that I did in highschool, it was a picture in one my macross art book. Hope you guys like it.

post-3663-1144214655_thumb.jpg

Wow, you guys are so good, I actually thought of entering next month, just to avoid the competition.  But in the end, I have decided to enter, because even if I lost, there is nothing to be ashame of, the drawings that you guys did were truly awesome!!!

Here is a painting that I did in highschool, it was a picture in one my macross art book.  Hope you guys like it.

387828[/snapback]

Thats really good.

I agree I like the idea of participating as a group on voting for the entries

Wow, you guys are so good, I actually thought of entering next month, just to avoid the competition.  But in the end, I have decided to enter, because even if I lost, there is nothing to be ashame of, the drawings that you guys did were truly awesome!!!

Here is a painting that I did in highschool, it was a picture in one my macross art book.  Hope you guys like it.

387828[/snapback]

NICE! Love the mood and the feeling of SCALE.

Thanks!

Yeah, the painting is actually much bigger than what you se here (It is 1.5m wide), so when you stand next to it, you really feel the size of SDF-1. I will try to post a slightly bigger attachment tonight, just to give you an idea.

What is the size limit on attachment anyway?

Who even knew Honneamise can paint...

387674[/snapback]

... anyone who was following the ghost buildup thread? ;-)

Seriously, though, wouldn't the obvious solution to submission angst just be to not disqualify entries that didn't win from future months? If Honneamise's painting wins this month there's no reason vf_1s' shouldn't be nominated next month, is there? It's not any less good a painting next month. Perhaps rule that you can't enter something for three months after the last thing of yours was displayed, to keep the shuffle going? I'd have thought something like this should really be about getting a broad look at some of the cool Macross-related things people are producing rather than worrying people about timing or whatever...

good point.

Instead of competing, can we just set up place to host all these fan arts, just like we did with the custom valkyries? They are all great drawings and I really think they deserve a place to be displayed.

387674[/snapback]

Seriously, though, wouldn't the obvious solution to submission angst just be to not disqualify entries that didn't win from future months? If Honneamise's painting wins this month there's no reason vf_1s' shouldn't be nominated next month, is there? It's not any less good a painting next month. Perhaps rule that you can't enter something for three months after the last thing of yours was displayed, to keep the shuffle going? I'd have thought something like this should really be about getting a broad look at some of the cool Macross-related things people are producing rather than worrying people about timing or whatever...

388042[/snapback]

Personally, I think we should have different categories for the art work. Comparing CG work to paintings or drawings is rather unfair to all who enter. Maybe paintings should be voted on one month and drawings the next, CG after that. Just a thought. Maybe even have an amateurs only contest and a pros only contest.

I didn't mean to take anything away from the amazing work done on the paintings.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

387674[/snapback]

388042[/snapback]

I folowed that thread and his other build up. I missed the painting, so sue me! :rolleyes:

I never said you can't re-enter your entries the next month. Like I said this is for fun. Things should be kept light. The rules are simple enough. I don't care if you enter it every month until it wins. If it keeps losing, then that should tell you something about your art! :p jk

Personally, I think we should have different categories for the art work. Comparing CG work to paintings or drawings is rather unfair to all who enter. Maybe paintings should be voted on one month and drawings the next, CG after that. Just a thought. Maybe even have an amateurs only contest and a pros only contest.

I didn't mean to take anything away from the amazing work done on the paintings.

388220[/snapback]

this has been already answered. Categories will just complicate stuff... there's one winner per month and the prize is getting your artwork's thumbnail on the main page with a link to anything you choose, the thread or just a bigger version of the art. I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like there's money involved. :D

Anyway, if you guys want to display your artwork without entering it into a contest or if you're looking for somewhere where there's Macross fan art readily available for your viewing, check out the yellowlightman's pinned thread. There's also a voting system there so you guys can vote for your favorite art, if this contest is too simple for your tastes.

Next month I'm going to post thumbnails of the entries and that's it. I like WDC's idea but I also want to keep the thread interesting.

Thanks for everyone's suggestion.