Front Mission 5

Ok, after coming from a huge Front Mission fix, (I just finished FM 1-loved every minute of it) I checked out the status of the latest installment since it was supposed to be released stateside around this time. I was greeted by some awful news stating that the game might not even get a domestic release. ACK-Noooo! I think Square already made a blunder by not bringing over FM 1&2, but now FM 5 as well (especially after bringing back the coliseum feature)? Now all I got to quell my FM cravings are the simulations from FM3 & 4.

Ok, after coming from a huge Front Mission fix, (I just finished FM 1-loved every minute of it) I checked out the status of the latest installment since it was supposed to be released stateside around this time.  I was greeted by some awful news stating that the game might not even get a domestic release. ACK-Noooo!  I think Square already made a blunder by not bringing over FM 1&2, but now FM 5 as well (especially after bringing back the coliseum feature)? Now all I got to quell my FM cravings are the simulations from FM3 & 4.

377493[/snapback]

I wouldn't be suprised Valk Hunter. I absoulutely loved FM 3 and 4 and i got through about half of number 1 before i drifted away from it, but still an excellent game. The sad thing is as awesome as these games are i've heard from numerous sources and from my own exp. of working at Toys R' Us that i don't know if this series sells well enough over here for them to continue releasing it. I seriously hope i'm wrong...

but as a good note i read up on the IGN boards about this after what you said and alot of people are speculating it will hit here sometime in the summer of this year. Since it just came out in Japan, i'd give it sometime perhaps E3 will give us some good news. Here's hoping. ;)

Edited by Veritas

FM3 is one of my favorite games on the PSX.  I heard that FM4 wasn't all that great.

377506[/snapback]

FM3 was actually the last FM game I played. I disliked how few units you could field at a time. I loved 1, 2 and Gunhazard though. Never did give FM Alternative a chance, although I always planned on doing so.

FM3 is one of my favorite games on the PSX.  I heard that FM4 wasn't all that great.

377506[/snapback]

4 was good, it had it's high points and some challenging missions, but i never got the wow factor i got from it like i did with 3. Still recommended though.

377506[/snapback]

FM3 was actually the last FM game I played. I disliked how few units you could field at a time.

YES!

I hate SRPGs that give you a pile of units, then place a low cap how many you can field.

I always subscribed to the mass chaos theory. Throw a million units out and overwhelm the enemy with numbers. :)

FM3 was worse about it since all the mechs were THERE storywise, they just put their guns up or something.

I don't keep up with the Front Mission series aymore, but I'm guessing it has english menus like the earlier ones. Not hard to import and play at all, I played through 1 and 2 in Japanese.

377501[/snapback]

Yeah, it still has the menus (but now with characters models!) but I'd hate to miss out on the story, especially with some rumored cameos of other FM chars in the fray. I definitely would not have enjoyed FM1 as much if I didn't play the fan-translated version.

I wouldn't be suprised Valk Hunter.  I absoulutely loved FM 3 and 4 and i got through about half of number 1 before i drifted away from it, but still an excellent game.  The sad thing is as awesome as these games are i've heard from numerous sources and from my own exp. of working at Toys R' Us that i don't know if this series sells well enough over here for them to continue releasing it.  I seriously hope i'm wrong...

but as a good note i read up on the IGN boards about this after what you said and alot of people are speculating it will hit here sometime in the summer of this year.  Since it just came out in Japan, i'd give it sometime perhaps E3 will give us some good news.  Here's hoping.  ;)

377507[/snapback]

Yup, I heard FM 4 didn't sell too well, in fact I think a MW'er even got a free copy from a retailer who was getting rid of extra stock. I've also heard talk of Square holding back the release due to Kindom Hearts 2 coming out around the same time. Who knows, but yeah hopefully E3 will shed some light on this.

377506[/snapback]

FM3 was actually the last FM game I played. I disliked how few units you could field at a time.

YES!

I hate SRPGs that give you a pile of units, then place a low cap how many you can field.

I always subscribed to the mass chaos theory. Throw a million units out and overwhelm the enemy with numbers. :)

FM3 was worse about it since all the mechs were THERE storywise, they just put their guns up or something.

377519[/snapback]

I feel the opposite; I liked managing a small squad of chars with their own specialty. However, this really hurt in the missions when ALL the chars have to be thrown in because only 5 out of ten of my members would be up to par with the enemy. With FM1, you're given around 18 members, but I still used only 4 or five of them. As soon as they gained a couple of key skills, they tore up every mission. To make matters worse for the enemy, the weight restriction was real loose, so I could have a Wanzer with two missile launchers, a shotgun, AND a claw arm. Oh, and I can't forget the handy supply truck that repairs all broken limbs. With all that, FM1 is the only FM game that allows one member to win battles by himself. :blink:

YES!

377519[/snapback]

I feel the opposite; I liked managing a small squad of chars with their own specialty. However, this really hurt in the missions when ALL the chars have to be thrown in because only 5 out of ten of my members would be up to par with the enemy. With FM1, you're given around 18 members, but I still used only 4 or five of them. As soon as they gained a couple of key skills, they tore up every mission. To make matters worse for the enemy, the weight restriction was real loose, so I could have a Wanzer with two missile launchers, a shotgun, AND a claw arm. Oh, and I can't forget the handy supply truck that repairs all broken limbs. With all that, FM1 is the only FM game that allows one member to win battles by himself. :blink:

377538[/snapback]

Heh.

I should clarify. I hate when games give you a lot of characters, offer no valid reason for any of them to be kicking back and relaxing, then restrict what you can deploy in a fight where there's no sane REASON to be holding anything back. Even a "tag-in" concept, where you could bring reinforcements in as the main force fell, would vastly improve things.

It's actually a long-running peeve of mine in any genre.

It's insane, it blows the hell out of continuity, and it gets on my nerves.

Especially when my 4th and final Wanzer loses it's last arm to run about like a headless chicken and THERE'S ONLY TWO ENEMIES LEFT ON THE FIELD!

I have no desire to play the same stage over and over and over in the simulator to build levels, (maybe) learn skills, and scrape up cash for upgrades. I despise level-building grinds like that.

If it had a random map generator to kill the monotony, I'd be more interested.

And seriously, this was bothering me long before I hit the wall.

I was greeted by some awful news stating that the game might not even get a domestic release.

It was originally given a NA release date in March by the gaming press, retailers, etc. There was no official anouncement to this affect. They since backed off of this date, and no one really knows what the status is. They now list it as not having a NA release because they simply don't know one way or the other.

FM3 is one of my favorite games on the PSX. I heard that FM4 wasn't all that great.

FM4 was nowhere as good as 1 or 3. This is not to say it was a bad game, its just not as engaging. Its a bit like playing a SRPG version of Armored Core, the story is rather irrelevant (and it hurts the game experience).

I definitely have to agree with the sentiments about FM4 being a bit of a let down. FM3 blew me away when I played it. The soundtrack was decent, I got into the characters, and the Ten-Mou/Internet&Email thing was fun and added depth to the world. FM4 felt more restricted in character building, combat tactics, and even storyline. There were some things that looked promising like linking actions and radar scouts, but not enough to really push the franchise to the next level of gaming.

While I do think FM4 stumbled in the storyline, I think it was still a fun game overall.

In response to some of JBO's concerns- IIRC, the game has a small amount of characters in the first place, and is actually two storylines that kind of meet up at the end. So you pretty much field every unit you have in each battle.

I agree that some promising additions were kind of lacking. But if they improve on those ideas in FM5, it could only get better.

I just want a fun game with great wanzers and an engaging storyline. Here's to hoping something like that comes out stateside.

Heh.

I should clarify. I hate when games give you a lot of characters, offer no valid reason for any of them to be kicking back and relaxing, then restrict what you can deploy in a fight where there's no sane REASON to be holding anything back. Even a "tag-in" concept, where you could bring reinforcements in as the main force fell, would vastly improve things.

It's actually a long-running peeve of mine in any genre.

It's insane, it blows the hell out of continuity, and it gets on my nerves.

Especially when my 4th and final Wanzer loses it's last arm to run about like a headless chicken and THERE'S ONLY TWO ENEMIES LEFT ON THE FIELD!

I have no desire to play the same stage over and over and over in the simulator to build levels, (maybe) learn skills, and scrape up cash for upgrades. I despise level-building grinds like that.

If it had a random map generator to kill the monotony, I'd be more interested.

And seriously, this was bothering me long before I hit the wall.

377555[/snapback]

I understand, it was cool how FM1 gave players the choice to use the entire roster or not. But using everyone just cluttered up the map and slowed down the game IMO.

One feature I would like to see again is the option to eject and pilot any unattended vehicles. Not to mention blowing up an ailing wanzer with nothing more than a sidearm :lol:

And I agree, FM4's story was weak compared to the other games. Still a blast to play though (love the linking system).

I understand, it was cool how FM1 gave players the choice to use the entire roster or not. But using everyone just cluttered up the map and slowed down the game IMO.

True. It dos slow things down a lot.

One feature I would like to see again is the option to eject and pilot any unattended vehicles. Not to mention blowing up an ailing wanzer with nothing more than a sidearm :lol:

Was better when you forced an eject with your handgun, and they were dumb enough to let you steal it next turn.

Was better when you forced an eject with your handgun, and they were dumb enough to let you steal it next turn.

377804[/snapback]

Oh man that was one of the best... and worst parts about FM3. I love'd forcing ejections with your handguns and being able to take the Wanzers the next turn, but on the same token it wasn't anywhere near as fun when you were ejected off totally random and sometimes very lucky shots. <_<

All a part of the game i guess though.

Edited by Veritas

In response to some of JBO's concerns- IIRC, the game has a small amount of characters in the first place, and is actually two storylines that kind of meet up at the end. So you pretty much field every unit you have in each battle.

377760[/snapback]

I haven't played that game in years but IIRC there were two endings, right?

There were so many things that made FM3 great. The mecha design, the ability to customize, the story, the faux-Internet system, and any videogame that partly takes place in the Philippines is okay in my book (even though a chunk of it gets vaporized :p)! At least is wasn't El Nido or Bacolod!

I played 3 and 4. I don't see any real differences between the 2 unlike most of you have described 4 as a letdown. But i must admit i got kinda bored 3/4 into FM4 and didn't feel like finishing it like i did FM3. I was also annoyed that FM4 for some reason didn't use the "rollerblades" on the wheels like in FM3 (double movement if travelling in a straight line) eventhough the opening FMV shows the mechs still had them.

377760[/snapback]

Two entire stories, actually. All depending on one dialog choice after... the second mission? Absurdly early in the game.

Two entire stories, actually. All depending on one dialog choice after... the second mission? Absurdly early in the game.

377893[/snapback]

That's right. It's all coming back to me now. I should dig that game out of my closet and play it again. Such a great game. I loved naming my wanzers. I gave 'em cheesy names like, "Emperor", "Killer", "Fatman", uh, and I can't remember the rest!

What were the names you guys gave your wanzers?

BTW, was it possible to recruit the Filipino wanzer pilot?

377760[/snapback]

377893[/snapback]

Wasn't it right before the second mission?

SPOILER ALERT.

Right when Ryogo asks you whether or not you want to goto the construction site?

I answered yes, like i think most everyone else did, simply because i was curious what was there. I was waiting and waiting for the point where i would have to choose which storyline path to take. I read later on in an online FAQ that this crucial point was actually that very early question in the beginning of the game. I thought it was a brilliant tactic since it basically gave you two full games to play! I never made it all the way through the game in the alt. storyline, but you guys are seriously making me lean towards starting it up again. <_< I might just have to do that after i get through with Black.

Edited by Veritas

377760[/snapback]

377893[/snapback]

Wasn't it right before the second mission?

SPOILER ALERT.

Right when Ryogo asks you whether or not you want to goto the construction site?

Yah. That sounds right.

It's been a long time.

I answered yes, like i think most everyone else did, simply because i was curious what was there.  I was waiting and waiting for the point where i would have to choose which storyline path to take.  I read later on in an online FAQ that this crucial point was actually that very early question in the beginning of the game.  I thought it was a brilliant tactic since it basically gave you two full games to play!  I never made it all the way through the game in the alt. storyline, but you guys are seriously making me lean towards starting it up again.  <_<  I might just have to do that after i get through with Black.

My sister answered no.

I'd guessed it had a good chance of being the fork.

As I've never beaten the game, I've never started a new file, and seen the other side of the plot.

That's right.  It's all coming back to me now.  I should dig that game out of my closet and play it again.  Such a great game.  I loved naming my wanzers.  I gave 'em cheesy names like, "Emperor", "Killer", "Fatman", uh, and I can't remember the rest!

What were the names you guys gave your wanzers?

BTW, was it possible to recruit the Filipino wanzer pilot?

377912[/snapback]

Yep, the Filipino pilot is either an enemy ace or an ally depending on the story path. If you don't get him, you get the Bruce Lee wanna be as a pilot.

I do remember painting Marcus' wanzer bright honkin orange and naming it Crush. His melee skills activated frequently, making mincemeat out of enemy missileers.

I wonder if beam weapons will make comeback? That one beam rifle was fun to use in FM3, but it made battles way too easy.

Actually, the two storylines I was referring to are in FM4, where you are forced to follow the two different stories at different times. Kind of like chapters in a book.

The two storylines in FM4 was, as many have said, user decision-based and, like, totally random. If I didn't talk to my friend to realise he was playing a different game, we never would've figured it out.

I wonder if beam weapons will make comeback? That one beam rifle was fun to use in FM3, but it made battles way too easy.

377982[/snapback]

That weapon was def. overpowered, but at the point in the game that you got it, at least when i got mine, i wuz stuck in an insane battle where one of the enemy wanzers had arm shot and nearly every turn he would blow off one of my guy's arms. If i remember correctly it was maybe less than 5 missions from the final one. It's the one where you're at the ship yard and the enemy commander is sitting on one of the wharehouses with about the best vantage point in the entire map, he could snipe just about anyone from where he was. He also lead an elite group of wanzers that of course outnumber you 2 to 1 which is common, but the commander's ability to blow off your wanzer's arms almost at will was the killer enemy advantage.

I was so close to beating that mission the first run through but his constant arm shots just got the better of me. In the end the only wanzers i had to face him with, had no arms!

I decided to try and even the playing field so i looked up how to aquire this secret super weapon (beam rifle), got it, equipped to my main character and sent them in again. My main character scored a body shot on the first turn and took out the enemy commander and with him his arm shot ability. With that taken care of the rest of mission was a breeze, and although it made the last few missions a little easier, i can't say that it was a game breaker. I'm sure we'll see something like that in 5 maybe just not as powerful or maybe not as easy to get.

Edited by Veritas

377982[/snapback]

I remember that rifle. It was part of the "secret wanzer", right? That wanzer was the one I named "Emperor" because it just pwned everyone.

My favorite wanzer was the secret cartoon animal themed one from FM2. It didn't have much in the way of long range capabilities, but it's frog-shaped fists dealt a lot of damage.

378322[/snapback]

I tried hard to get into FM2, but i guess not being able to understand the storyline (with it being in japanese and all) just killed it for me. Fun game, but i just wish i could understand what was happening. :huh:

Just to cut someone off... Front Mission Gunhazard is NOT the same thing as Front Mission 2. So anyone that says FM2 is a sidescroller is terribly confused.

Having said that, I haven't played Front Mission 2.

Edited by JB0

My favorite wanzer was the secret cartoon animal themed one from FM2. It didn't have much in the way of long range capabilities, but it's frog-shaped fists dealt a lot of damage.

378322[/snapback]

I tried hard to get into FM2, but i guess not being able to understand the storyline (with it being in japanese and all) just killed it for me. Fun game, but i just wish i could understand what was happening. :huh:

378367[/snapback]

I played through maybe 5 or 6 missions of FM:2 tops. From what i experienced it plays alot like FM:3 and there's all the usual customizable options (swapping parts, changing wanzers, changing names, changing paint schemes) and on top of that all the menus are in english so that's never a problem, it's just that the story is of course written out in Japanese so I never had the urge to play through more than that because i couldn't get into it. If they ever translated it into English i'd be one of the first in line to pick it up, but until then, i'll keep it for sentimental reasons. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I havent played any other FM other than 4. I bought it new for 15 bux and when I asked the store guy why it was so cheap, he said cause it didnt sell well enough. Worked out for me though.

I enjoy FM4 alot but I cant really compare it to anything else since it its the only SRPG Ive ever played. I love the Link System. And thank goodness for the Salvage feature from the Radio Back pack. Always savin my mechanic.

I cant wait for FM5 and FM Online. I believe the delay for FM5: Scars of War is involving Square Enix trying to Copyright it, but there is another similar pending copyright, Scar Wars, and thats pending due to its similiarity to Star Wars. I read this on some forum I got while Googling FM5 for information.

It sounds like fun from what I read and I hope it will come out over here.

I kind of have to agree with The Duke here. FM3, albeit being graphically inferior to FM4, had a vastly more engrossing storyline. And, at least for me, the game presented quite a few challenges.

I think my main beef with FM4 is that, IIRC, I only ever lost like 1 or 2 battles. It was simply very easy to get through. Plus, the characters weren't as likeable, either.

While FM4 brought some neat innovations to the game, the storyline didn't live up to par.

• 1 year later...