Space Battleship Yamato (aka Starblazers)???

I was watching COSMO WARRIOR ZERO the other day and the character designs reminded me of STARBLAZERS. While I have a faint image of the cannon in front of the ship firing, I can't remember of this series was any good. I know it had a lenthy run.

So does anyone remember this series and if it was ever good?

Is it available on DVD?

:)

As a kid I remember liking the whole dogfighting in space thing. I think the ship itself has an attitude to it. I like how it is part of history as well as mixed with new technology and the whole "desperation of the crew to make it in time" thing. Characters were also interesting. I liked the captain of the yamato more than Global in macross since we at least see he has a painful past and at the end it is really sad when he dies and all. So the drama of his death was really good too. The villain from the tv series who appears in the movie also has a dramatic death too. Not like macross's "roy suddenly dies from loss of blood" death, but more like a "I actually feel sad that he is gone now" moment, giving him a dramtic scene being a main character and all and treating it with some importance at least.

I watched the first movie a while ago and thought it was cool. Even when earth finally has the advanced tech to kick some butt they are still hopeless and defenceless without the ole obsolete yamato to save the day. :D

This sort of reminds me of what happens in macross II when the SDF1 (a piece of junk really, serving more as a statue of remembering the past than something threatening to aliens) rises from the ground to fight again.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Sorry but this is an old series. It would be like scolding me for saying luke is really darth vader's son. Didn't think all the sci-fi nerds were that far behind in thier things to watch. :p

Anyway I will remember to put spoiler alert next time for those who haven't seen or remebered it. But duude you should've all seen this by now? Cmon...

Anyway from what I remember it was good to me as a kid, but like what happens when you haven't seen something in a long time, (ie macross eps with animefriend work on them :D ) you may have to lower you expectations a bit given when it was made. Some people just won't watch old stuff.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Hey, we haven't even seen Rowboat-tech (luckily...?) on tv in this god forsaken part of the world... And the anime dvd's are just recently getting to grow in numbers. Still not so many of them.

I think they released just a few first vhs's of Yamato in the 80's or something... Swedish dub, I'm pretty sure...

So, the only way to see that series here is to become an anime fan at later age, and then make the discoveries in the past. Then order from abroad or download from net for those who prefer that. (I wonder how many anime fans will at that point buy/watch the Starblazers version of Yamato?) I think pretty much so. Basically it was like that with Macross for me also. Though I happened to had bought the Dyrl? crappy swedish dub version in the 80's, knowing nothing about the whole thing. And that vhs lead to my Macross fandom about five years ago, when I found more decent version of the movie. By accident even then. Still, I might be one of the most hardcore fans of Macross over here...

But hey I'm not angry here, or anything like that, I don't take that kind of things too seriously, and I understand your point of view ;)

Edit: Oh. btw, there is no way to compare something like Star Wars on this. Now THAT thing was/is everywhere B))

Edited by Sdf-1

I was watching COSMO WARRIOR ZERO the other day and the character designs reminded me of STARBLAZERS. While I have a faint image of the cannon in front of the ship firing, I can't remember of this series was any good. I know it had a lenthy run.

So does anyone remember this series and if it was ever good?

Is it available on DVD?

:)

365790[/snapback]

The reason for the similarities is that they're both creations of Matsumoto Leiji and technically are part of the same universe along with Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999, Queen Millineum, etc. Central Anime has recently released the first season of Yamato fansubbed, which I've been watching. The show still holds up quite well and I've been really enjoying it. In fact, I've enjoyed almost everything of Matsumoto's that I've come across so far.

Starblazers is THE reason I got into anime. Musta been like 1979 or 1980.

I was 5 yrs old watching that show, doing the salute they did and singing along with the opening theme. Sure, it was chessy american pseudo-disco, but I can still whistle it.

Series 2 was the best IMO.......how it ended was...was...shocking/incredable. Some of the animation and character designs are a little dated though, but definately a CLASSIC!!!

Chris

Oh, and the music at the end when they are looking out at earth, thinking about the stupidity of war.... man it still gives me goosebumps, it really holds up to current movie score music and is so beautiful.

Chris

I was 5 yrs old watching that show, doing the salute they did and singing along with the opening theme. Sure, it was chessy american pseudo-disco, but I can still whistle it.

365867[/snapback]

Ditto for me, too. I was 7 and couldn't wait to get home from school to see the next episode. Compared all other 'cartoons' to SB at the time. Good ol' Force Five was out around then, too......good stuff back then I tell ya!!

Series 2 was the best IMO.......

365880[/snapback]

'Nother ditto on this, too.

Saw the first bits of CW-0, so now I'll have to check it all out. Oh, and maybe dig up some Captain Harlock and Queen Esmereldas(sp?) too.

:D

The reason for the similarities is that they're both creations of Matsumoto Leiji and technically are part of the same universe along with Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999, Queen Millineum, etc.  Central Anime has recently released the first season of Yamato fansubbed, which I've been watching.  The show still holds up quite well and I've been really enjoying it.  In fact, I've enjoyed almost everything of Matsumoto's that I've come across so far.

365845[/snapback]

Is this the version we've been watching at Anime Sunday these last several months? Any chance Yamato will ever see a subtitled release in the US?

Bar none one of the great Anime Classics.

I don't see it can be overly hyped considering it was a benchmark series. I just wish Matsumoto and Nishizaki would settle their differences and give us a new series.

"Through the fire and the smoke." This show is still cool.

Is it possible for the ARGO aka Yamato to be on fire and leaving a trail of smoke in outer space? This happened in almost every episode.

Did anyone ever notice the similar events in the Comet Empire saga and

Star Trek III Search for Spock?

-Yamato/Enterprise scheduled for decomission.

-Introduction of new ship (Andromeda/Excelsior)

-Old crew steals ship.

-Mechanic from old crew sabotages new ship.

There was also a DVD released called Space Battleship Yamato: The making of an anime legend.

It's a really good dvd giving background information on the series starting w/ the beginning in Japan, up to the most recent series.

I believe it's avalible at Starblazers.com

Yamato & Starblazers are two of the BEST Space Drama's out there! I grew up watching Starblazers, and I picked up the DVD's to relive those experances. And it was as good now it was back then.

-RF

The reason for the similarities is that they're both creations of Matsumoto Leiji and technically are part of the same universe along with Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999, Queen Millineum, etc.  Central Anime has recently released the first season of Yamato fansubbed, which I've been watching.  The show still holds up quite well and I've been really enjoying it.  In fact, I've enjoyed almost everything of Matsumoto's that I've come across so far.

365845[/snapback]

Is this the version we've been watching at Anime Sunday these last several months? Any chance Yamato will ever see a subtitled release in the US?

365921[/snapback]

Yep. That's the one.

As for a subtitled release, who knows. I'm pretty sure that who ever did the TV hack from the 70's still has the rights to it. I know said TV version got a full VHS release (I know a place in CB that has it all for sale), but I don't think it's ever been put out on DVD. I think now would be a really great time to release a good sub/dub DVD version as you'd catch both the current popularity of anime and the nostalgia wave of the people who watched it on TV as kis.

There was also a DVD released called Space Battleship Yamato: The making of an anime legend.

It's a really good dvd giving background information on the series starting w/ the beginning in Japan, up to the most recent series.

Yamato & Starblazers are two of the BEST Space Drama's out there!  I grew up watching Starblazers, and I picked up the DVD's to relive those experances.  And it was as good now it was back then.

-RF

366056[/snapback]

Have you seen the Starblazers: Rebirth comic on that website? Pretty interesting stuff.

I never knew Miyatake designed a second Andromeda. Pretty. B)) .

Yamato & Starblazers are two of the BEST Space Drama's out there!  I grew up watching Starblazers, and I picked up the DVD's to relive those experances.  And it was as good now it was back then.

-RF

366056[/snapback]

Have you seen the Starblazers: Rebirth comic on that website? Pretty interesting stuff.

366063[/snapback]

Yeah isn't a thing of beauty? :lol:Space%20Fiction%20Andromeda%20Spaceship%20-%20100x75.jpg

-RF

366056[/snapback]

366063[/snapback]

Yeah isn't a thing of beauty? :lol:Space%20Fiction%20Andromeda%20Spaceship%20-%20100x75.jpg

366083[/snapback]

“My eyes! The goggles do nothingâ€

post-31-1138939851.jpg

365867[/snapback]

I agree, especially with season 2. At the same time that was airing, Battle of the planets helped to lure me into this sort of animation at an early age...

-RF

366056[/snapback]

366063[/snapback]

Yeah I've been reading, and I'm liking it so far. The writer seems to have a good grasp of the charaters and it's spot-on drawn like the classic show.

-RF