Hard Case, Too - 1/55 Custom Update

Skull-1

Finally getting back around to it.

Please ignore the unpainted head and the unmodified hips. Those will be dealt with later. THERE ARE MANY OTHER PAINT CHANGES to be incorporated. The top section of the battroid where it folds in half will be all sky blue (not some green some blue as seen) so it will look much cleaner.

I gave up on painting the nose cone the way I wanted because I could never get the paint lines to line up perfectly and I got sick of doing it over and over and over again. The one time I got it right I dropped the stupid nose and ruined the paint any way..... :p

This is a custom paint scheme I came up with back in 1990. The main character in my novel flies a Valkyrie with this paint scheme in the years leading up to the VF-1's retirement from active duty.

818%20-%202006-01-16%20Hard%20Case,%20Too%20Small.jpg

Edited by Skull-1

I want to know about the left hand. I've drilled through a couple from underneath so my horrible spawn custom vf's could hold two swords... but not a vf gun like that. Or did you mod the gun as well?

Where does one go to get heads for 1/55 customs? I'm thinking about customizing an MPC (since you can get the Ben MPCs for like $20, it seems like a good chance to have fun). Unfortunately I think the chunky VF-1D head would look funky.... any suggestions??

I want to know about the left hand. I've drilled through a couple from underneath so my horrible spawn custom vf's could hold two swords... but not a vf gun like that. Or did you mod the gun as well?

361112[/snapback]

Use the tip of a file and heat it with an oven burner, then MELT the fist from the top.

You can use the heated tip to shape it to the perfect gunpod grip. Works like a charm.

Good work so far

I may have missed it but what was your starting point. I mean was it Jetfire or an original Bandai or reissue or a bootleg.

Also the feet are different to any I have in my collection, did you make them or are they available on a version that I dont have

Man, those colors... wow, the colors...

361374[/snapback]

... at least it will be perfectly camoflaged in the sky looking from the ground, and in a forest looking from above :)

Where does one go to get heads for 1/55 customs? I'm thinking about customizing an MPC (since you can get the Ben MPCs for like $20, it seems like a good chance to have fun). Unfortunately I think the chunky VF-1D head would look funky.... any suggestions??

Those MPCs hide the head in fighter mode even less than the chunkies, that's why all their head are so tiny. I'd stick with using chunkies for custom jobs, since chunky or 1/48 recast heads look okay on them. You could also scavange a 1/72 model head and try that on an MPC, but I've never tried that.

Man, those colors... wow, the colors...

361374[/snapback]

It's a custom paint job. He's an ace and all. :p (The guy in my icon. Hint. Hint.) I just love it! :)

Good work so far

I may have missed it but what was your starting point. I mean was it Jetfire or an original Bandai or reissue or a bootleg.

Also the feet are different to any I have in my collection, did you make them or are they available on a version that I dont have

361362[/snapback]

It was a Jetfire Bandai 1985 mold. The feet were custom sanded. I just grabbed a file and went after it.

All my customs will now have the feet like that. It's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it.

I would recommend filling the feet cavities internally with JBWeld before sanding. That way if you get too deep and go through the plastic you won't lose foot integrity.