The big Masamune Shirow appreciation thread

bsu legato

http://shop.kodansha.jp/bc/comics/kc/boy_03.html

- TITLE: APPLESEED

- BRAND: MORNING KC

- PRICE: 1,785yen (including tax)

- RELEASE DATE: 03/23/2004

Kodansha is advertising a new Appleseed Book for that date. It's most likely an appleseed book based on the anime. But here's hoping. Shirow was quoted that he could no longer draw those "laughless" eyes of Deunan. And he's lost alot of his Appleseed research material back in the Kobe quake of '95. So Appleseed 5 is highly doubtful.

Drew

I had my doubts about this, but the trailer really changed my mind. It looks really sharp and loads better than your regular cell-shaded movie.

My only gripes were the colors. Maybe it's just my imagination, but Appleseed always seemed to be a world with a lot of greys, browns and greens... Not all these bright primary colors. But maybe I just prefer an 80's anime aesthetic...

The city scapes also looked too... GiTS, I dunno, kind of irked me.

The soundtrack kind of bugs me. The music from the trailers dumbs down the vibe for me, giving it an almost MTV feel. I'm tired of animes with typical Rap/Rock/Junk Techno riffs... its been done to death already, its time to move on; but then I may be in the minority with that opinion. Well this is all based on that extended apple Japan trailer... I'll most likely think differently after a complete viewing of the finished movie.

The CG/Cell effects are really fluid and life-like, too bad this thing is not a video game...

• 1 month later...

Well, it's official, Geneon will distribute the new Appleseed movie outside Asia.

From AnimeNewsNetwork:

Geneon Acquires Appleseed (2004-03-03 12:13:19)

Geneon Entertainment has acquired the World Wide (except Japan) rights to the upcoming Appleseed Movie. The movie will be released in Japan on April 17th, in North America this summer and in Europe and Asia at a later (undisclosed) time. Source: Y! Japan

I had my doubts about this, but the trailer really changed my mind. It looks really sharp and loads better than your regular cell-shaded movie.

My only gripes were the colors. Maybe it's just my imagination, but Appleseed always seemed to be a world with a lot of greys, browns and greens... Not all these bright primary colors. But maybe I just prefer an 80's anime aesthetic...

The city scapes also looked too... GiTS, I dunno, kind of irked me.

I disagree. I've always envisioned Olympus as being bright and colorful, but through a lot of nature, greenery, parks and whatnot. It seemed to me that the Olympus shown here is simply another large congested city.

It depends on which book you read and which part of the book. The earlier books Olympus was a nice breath of air compared to the Badlands. In Book 3, IIRC, New York was in the worse for wear, but Olympus was starting to show it's gritty side. By the end most of the action takes place in gritty parts of the city.

But the city in the trailers look like it's on flatlands where Olympus in the books look like it was built on hills, where houses are stacked on top of each other, much like L.A. It makes for a more interesting, messier vista.

Well I for one cannot wait for the Appleseed movie, much moreso than GITS: Innocence. Changes to the character designs aside, it looks to me like like the action firmly takes place in Shirows world. The animators seem to have a firm grasp of how Shirow used to meticulously compose his fight sequences and seeing them animated will be jaw-dropping. And even though it's a little Matrix-ish, Deunan's forward sommersault over that cyborg's claw swipe is one of the coolest things I've seen in anime for some time.

I just hope that the story holds up to the same standard.

• 2 weeks later...

review for GITS

http://www.japantimes.com/cgi-bin/getartic...f20040317a1.htm

and Oshii is a nutball...

http://www.japantimes.com/cgi-bin/getartic...f20040317a2.htm

I believe that myself, that dolls have a spirit. They're not just objects to have fun with.

but this part is interesting...

Anyway, I'm sure that "Innocence" has a good shot at an Academy Award nomination. Americans have never see anything like it.

Man, I'm getting pretty stoked about the Appleseed movie... less than a month to go. Picked up the prolog to Appleseed DVD with the Bri figure and the soundtrack this week. Both are cool (damn "Dive for You" is stuck on repeat in my head) but the prolog DVD is a little steep at 5,000 for a 35 min making of video. The fact that the figure is the same as the Yamato I already own (although with way better aticulation and a new paint job) doesn't help any. I also bougth the delux soundtrack that gives you the BGM and a bonus disc of a BBS video for Dive for You as well as the trailer that's on the web site. For Japan, at 5,000 yen that's not that bad, as the two CD would run about 6,000 if sold sepperately, but for America, $50 buck is way too much to spend on a soundtrack disc.

Anyhow, here's a BT link for the video.

Hmm... not liking the link... Oh well here's the cut and paste version.

http://66.90.75.92/torrents/1460/[WGR]Appleseed_-_AMV_Trailer_-_Boom_Boom_Satellites_-_Dive_For_You(640x480_DivX5.1.1)-avi.torrent

Edited by LePoseur

I don't think it's mentioned in the book per se, or even the notes. Maybe it appears in the Databook?

And while there's no 3' Sulaco that I know of, I think Monsters in Motion used to stock a 2' long version.

I don't think any of those toys exist... it's the same way I feel about the Holy Grail... ;) It's more of what my ultimate fantasy toys would be. Any links to that 2ft. Sulaco? Probably cost a bundle now.

Any links to that 2ft. Sulaco? Probably cost a bundle now.

I just checked MiM and Comet Miniatures, and neither even listed it. I think it may be long gone, but who knows? Maybe it will get reissued or recast someday. I found a build-up of it HERE.

And while I'm at it, I found this on MiM's site. They claim its from the 2003 Battlestar Galactica, but I swear it's a freakin' Seburo!

post-26-1080763541.jpg

Did anyone else catch this?

After a bizarre firefight with a rampaging gainoid -- who looks, in both her outward appearance and inner machinery, like an old-fashioned Japanese mechanical doll -- Bateau and Togusa visit Haraway (Yoshiko Sakakibara), a coroner who examines the dead, or rather disassembled, gainoid. A chain-smoking middle-aged woman (heartening somehow to see one of those in 2032), Haraway wonders out loud why the human race has made machines that so closely resemble human beings, until the distinction between the two is hopelessly confused.

The irony. Yoshiko Sakakibara was the voice actress to Sylia Stingray from orginal BGC. Check out the date too.

• 3 weeks later...

Found! Appleseed weapon replicas!

http://www.polymerarmory.com/appleseed_weapons.html

There's Deunan's "Gong" pistol (just where does that name come from anyhow?) and the Seburo "J-9" silenced SMG. They're probably just recasts of the various airsoft replicas, but they still look pretty good. If there's enough interest, we could always go in for some kind of grooup purchase...provided these guys aren't total scam artists like many "prop makers" turn out to be. :rolleyes:

Just don't click on the questionable "cosplay" images. You'll regret it.

Found! Appleseed weapon replicas!

http://www.polymerarmory.com/appleseed_weapons.html

There's Deunan's "Gong" pistol (just where does that name come from anyhow?) and the Seburo "J-9" silenced SMG. They're probably just recasts of the various airsoft replicas, but they still look pretty good. If there's enough interest, we could always go in for some kind of grooup purchase...provided these guys aren't total scam artists like many "prop makers" turn out to be.  :rolleyes:

The gong shoots these bullets that split into an X shape and I guess when it you, you'll feel like a gong. :unsure: somewhere along that line.

No prices on the guns and they look highly illegal (who cares though).

Just don't click on the questionable "cosplay" images. You'll regret it.

yup. that's a whole new thread.

deun_stance_front.jpg

QUOTE (bsu legato @ Mar 25 2004, 12:57 PM)

Has anybody ever built this Deunan garage kit? I think it looks pretty good, and with 0% fanservice too! 

I'm guessing you haven't seen pictures of the back of the model? The outfit Deunan is wearing is riding up her buttcrack. 

Same as the toy... :p

The gong shoots these bullets that split into an X shape and I guess when it you, you'll feel like a gong. :unsure:

Heh, that's probably as good an explanation as any. :D I should probably get off my ass and get the Appleseed Databook anyhow. It IS worth puchasing, isn't it?

And I warned you not to click on the cosplay. <_<:p