Quake 4

Just bought a copy of Quake 4 because I had nothing to do, and found the game to almost be a carbon copy of Doom 3. Anyone else out there playing this? Since I have not seen a single post about it since its release almost a month ago, I figure probably not. Aside from a few things here and there I liked, I found the game to be rather monotonous. However, it may just be me, as I find myself not wanting to game anymore. Arguments? Opinions?

I've been purposely avoiding Quake 4 for the main reasons you mentioned: it's a cheap clone of Doom 3 and everyone I know who has it says it is not as good as Doom 3 and quite repetative.

My gaming habits go in cycles, some months I could care less about games while other months it's all I want to do in my spare time. Right now I'm not playing that much... sure there are a lot of "good games" out right now but I'm simply not interested in any of them. Another Call of Duty? Meh. It seems the market is flooding with sequels at the moment.

On the flip side of the coin I'm eagerly awaiting Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion on the PC... that sadly keeps getting pushed back because they are trying to release it at the same time as it's XBox360 version which keeps getting pushed back.

I also find myself having fun with cheaper, "crappier" games. I picked up a real low-rent title, "Land of the Dead: the Road to Fiddler's Green" a few weeks ago and I love the hell out of it. It's about as low budget and shoddy as you can get but I just love the thing and I'm on my second time playing through it on harder difficulty.

Gah, I was afraid of Quake 4 ending up like this... Even when I first saw the caps I said it looked like Doom 3 without D3's atmosphere.

Since Doom 3 was a little lacking in multiplayer, I think they should have went arena with Quake4 to make up for that. If they ddi that though... all of the action would end up a slideshow even on the most powerful PCs. :ph34r:

Gah, I was afraid of Quake 4 ending up like this... Even when I first saw the caps I said it looked like Doom 3 without D3's atmosphere.

Since Doom 3 was a little lacking in multiplayer, I think they should have went arena with Quake4 to make up for that. If they ddi that though... all of the action would end up a slideshow even on the most powerful PCs.  :ph34r:

344119[/snapback]

I got what I expected from it. Doom 3 and Doom 3 Ressurrection of Evil were better games in my opinion. I think that Quake 4 feels like a mindless FPS in comparrison and is probably just a set up for better Multi-player Deathmatch style play than Doom 3 because of the more Claustrophobic nature of the Doom 3 levels the Deathmatches wouldn't be a great deal of fun for large numbers of players.

I thought Quake 4 was Doom 3 with a better story and better sense of immersement? I dunno, i haven't played it but...that's what my friend told me. He was impressed that quite a few times, AI marines joined you and helped you out and you actually see a war goin on, unlike almost every other FPS where you're always the lone guy taking on the whole world.

Let me qualify my opinion by saying that I am a huge fan of the Horror FPS Genre, so I want to play the Lone guy taking on the army of Undead or evil monks or what have you. Being scared in the dark with a gun and the moans of the dead and monsters all about is extremely fun to me.

Quake 4 just felt a little ho-humm shoot em up to me.

Honestly I prefer Q4 to D3. DOOM3 generally anoyed me with it's lack of amunition, and guns that won't kill anything. D3 always felt like it couldn't make up it's mind whether it wanted to be survival horror, or be a monster fest like the earlier DOOM games. Quake4 had much better gameplay. The pace was faster, and while the weapons felt like a step backwards from Quake2, they seemed to be more effective than D3's weapons. I just missed the lone marine theme from the earlier games.

Why is it always marines in sci-fi? Does the Army not exist in the future?

Honestly I prefer Q4 to D3. DOOM3 generally anoyed me with it's lack of amunition, and guns that won't kill anything. D3 always felt like it couldn't make up it's mind whether it wanted to be survival horror, or be a monster fest like the earlier DOOM games. Quake4 had much better gameplay. The pace was faster, and while the weapons felt like a step backwards from Quake2, they seemed to be more effective than D3's weapons. I just missed the lone marine theme from the earlier games.

Why is it always marines in sci-fi? Does the Army not exist in the future?

344212[/snapback]

very common question, my guess in the future the army desides not to recruit anymore or the army/navy rivalry got so out of hand that the space navy won't let the army guys on their ships.

Edited by Zentrandude

Honestly I prefer Q4 to D3. DOOM3 generally anoyed me with it's lack of amunition, and guns that won't kill anything. D3 always felt like it couldn't make up it's mind whether it wanted to be survival horror, or be a monster fest like the earlier DOOM games.

344212[/snapback]

Huh, I haven't played Quake 4 yet, but I guess I had a much better impression of DOOM3. I felt the survival horror feel of the game really set it apart, the atmosphere, the claustrophobic corridors, and the ever present need to conserve ammo really helped me forgive the repetative FPS gameplay.

I also didn't ever feel the weapons were too weak. If anything, I thought it got too easy by the end, even playing on the hardest difficulty available when you first start the game.

You guys should check out that horror FPS called F.E.A.R.  If you have the hardware for it, it has fun gameplay and an eerie story (feels like the Ring).  Story driven game like HL2 and I would recommend it.

344206[/snapback]

This one's very good IMO: I just played the demo because my comp's too much weak to handle the engine at its full capacities but in one year or two I think I'll do the entire game

Atmosphere's great and very immersive, story seems to be well developped too. Also, the MP is original in its own way. This game looks like a future classic to me

As for Q4, I really enjoyed it: it's a nice sequel to Q2 IMO, a game that I really love btw, and the engine is impressive (I still have to play D3...) but the MP didn't look very promising, too much slow, lacking of visual details,... Too bad Q4 SP is very short: I finished it in a pair of days when Q2 took me several weeks but my skills probably improved since this time :p

Haven’t played it, but after reading a review about it I though it would play much like a Halo clone: open spaces, you can use vehicles and AI controlled marines help you out in spots.

But anyways, I’m busy replaying old SNES masterpieces to worry about today’s boring games. Now Konami’s Cybernator gave you really good shooting action :D

But anyways, I’m busy replaying old SNES masterpieces to worry about today’s boring games. Now Konami’s Cybernator gave you really good shooting action  :D

344386[/snapback]

You may be interested in this, then...

http://agtp.romhack.net/valken.html

Patch to take the original japanese game to english without the massive cuts made for the official US release.

Sidenote: Konami was merely the US publisher.

But anyways, I’m busy replaying old SNES masterpieces to worry about today’s boring games. Now Konami’s Cybernator gave you really good shooting action  :D

344386[/snapback]

You may be interested in this, then...

http://agtp.romhack.net/valken.html

Patch to take the original japanese game to english without the massive cuts made for the official US release.

Sidenote: Konami was merely the US publisher.

344428[/snapback]

Thanks JBO :)

Came across his patch when searching for the game (didn't remember it's name and a friend told me the Japanese title). Always tough the animesque image found in the background of the option screen looked out of place. Now it makes sense.

Guess back then puny western children’s brains might have exploded if in visual contact with character faces and more text.

I have Quake 4 and Doom 3. I have beaten both. Doom just seemed more fun. Both games have a lot of back tracking in stages. Doom for the most part you had to have ammo for the right gun. Quake was a lot better with the machine gun dispatching most foes. Quake 4 did switch up the pace with the vehicle stages. I liked having a conpetent squad with you. But even with Doom 3 I used the mod for marines to be with me. The puzzle solving seemed harder in Doom 3 as well. Quake 4 just seem too short.

I played Quake 4 at my friend's place. I was quite impressed with it. It felt like Halo done with the Doom 3 engine. I only played with it for like 1/2 an hour and the stretch I played was near the beginning which ended with you boarding your cap ship, the Hannibal.

Pretty cool that you have a squad of marines with you watching your back and you really feel like there's all out war in places other than where you are. Like I said, felt like Halo. Probably more epic than Halo. Fighters whizzing by tailing a Strogg fighter as you make your way through a battlefield and the Strogg fighter gets shotdown and crashes to the ground just nearly missing you. Cool scripting!

Much better than Doom 3. Besides, Doom 3 had the misfortune of being the testbed for the graphics engine rather than the storyline, AI, physics or anything else. :p

You guys should check out that horror FPS called F.E.A.R.  If you have the hardware for it, it has fun gameplay and an eerie story (feels like the Ring).  Story driven game like HL2 and I would recommend it.

344206[/snapback]

I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I have to say I didn't. All FPS games are generally the same anyway, but I couldn't relate to the heavy praise and hype that was given to FEAR. I didn't find the game to be any more frightening than DOOM3, the scare factor being one of the more touted features of this game. The AI was more intelligent than what I'm used to seeing, but other than that the game didn't present itself as anything else other than just another FPS...

-It was very pretty, I have to say...